#1 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:18 PM

Hi folks!  I adore Project Life and will continue in 2015, but am looking to change up the size. My preferred size is 8.5x11 but no one makes page protectors for that size that fit the PL Core Kit cards.  

Do they?  Because OMG if they do, I'm all over it.

I know a lot of people chose to do their PL in 6x8 format.  Can you tell me about this?  Do you do a weekly 2 page spread?  How many albums do you need to fit your year?

It seems like 6x8 is so small, I'm just curious about how it works :)

Thanks!!

• janygb143 likes this

#2 Janet White

Janet White

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationWapiti, WY

Posted 01 November 2014 - 04:35 PM

I only use smaller albums - and actually scrap 6x8.5. I never could find something that would really work and actually created my own chipboard binders (I paint them) with a 2" D-ring binder (traditional 3-ring spacing). I've been selling them, but am fine if they don't all sell as this is working incredibly well for me as a size. Find I use them for everything.

I use Becky Higgins' page protectors cut down to fit. Got some of most of the types out there to figure it all out. One thing I've learned is that most of the smaller page protectors out there are actually 9 or 9+" tall by about 7" - absolutely hate there's zero industry standard out there. It seems everyone has something slightly different and they all call them 6x8.

As for organization, I use one album/binder per year to catch stories because I organize everything alphabetically by topic. I'm absolutely head-over-heels in love with this system. It gives me the flexibility to handle busy times in life without many actual entries made, and then I can create to my heart's content when life slows for a bit. Personally, I need the full 2", and I'm considering what to do next year to give me even a bit more space. This year I'm starting to print out some of the longer stories on cardstock and not using a page protector to help save some space. Might need to do a bit more rearranging, but I'm pretty sure all the stories I want to tell from 2014 will fit.
  • Tiffany W, janygb143 and anandi like this

#3 Miriam

Miriam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:10 PM

WRMK does have some 8.5x11 page protectors that hold the 3x4 and 4x6 size. I've never used them so I cannot attest to how well the cards fit, but they look interesting.  I kind of want to switch to that size but I have soooo many 12x12 protectors that I don't think I could do it.

• anandi likes this

#4 SueTR

SueTR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA, USA

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:29 PM

I have used the 6x8.5 for December Daily last year and LOVED it.  I used I think it was Snap or something like that brand page protectors (sorry almost time for bed and no brain left!)  I mostly used the full page, the 2-4x6 and the 2-3x4 over 1-4x6.  There are lots of other options out there now too.  It's small but it makes you EDIT !!  Something I definitely need to work on ;-)

• anandi likes this

#5 JuliaK

JuliaK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationSweden- BorÃ¥s

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:18 PM

I have been thinking of changing from 12x12 to 6x8 but I have allot of 12x12 page protector. I know that they don´t disappear but still... So I ordered a sn@p 6x8 for December to give it a try. So exited!   :D

• anandi likes this

#6 Alissa@lifeonlakeland

Alissa@lifeonlakeland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:56 PM

Anandi - I just saw some 8.5x11 pockets at Hobby Lobby last week. I need to investigate the pocket sizes because I didn't look too closely. I realize you don't have HL out in the Pacific Northwest but you can order online - it looks like most of the pockets are an odd size. Here's a link to the page protectors. http://shop.hobbylob...l-pages-404863/

Peppermint Granberg from One Little Bird Designs does Project Life in a 6x8 album on a monthly basis and I thought i recalled you saying that you had switched to monthly. You might want to check her out for inspiration.

I am undecided about an approach for 2015. but this thread reminds me I did purchase/hoard several 6x8 Snap albums when they were on clearance from hobby lobby.

• janygb143 and anandi like this

#7 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:51 PM

@Alissa - hi!  We do have HL here though it's a bit of a drive for me. I might do it for 8.5x11 PL protectors though.

Rumor had it that Studio Calico was coming out with a 9x12 album. I'd love to find out more about that, because that seems like it could be perfect, and might work with some of the 12x12 page protectors being trimmed down.

#8 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:34 PM

I do PL in 6x8 - the PL branded stuff. I do as many spreads as I need per month. This is my first year doing it, and I really like that I'm not pressured to fill a whole 12x12 spread per week or even month. Pretty easy, I think. I'm not caught up, so right now I'm uncertain if one album will be enough for the year. I might need a second, even with no embellies.

• anandi likes this

#9 Brooke

Brooke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast, California

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:50 PM

I had been planning all weekend to come here and ask the same question. I need some help with PL, or I need to give it up.

I have tried 12x12 PL with Becky's BPC class last year (Project Real Life). I hated it and figured if the inspirational PL inventor herself could not inspire me, I was hopeless. The reason I hated it is that I cannot stand being stuck with certain orientations and size pockets that don't match my photos. Invariably I would have landscape photos and only portrait oriented pockets open, or 4x6 prints and only 3x4 pockets left. I also hated being stuck with the back side. After I got a 2 page spread done, I had to start with the same layout when I turned the page. The photos for the next pages never worked. I know some people just adjust by taking ony 3x4 portrait oriented photos or something. Did I say I hate being confined?

After listening to a Roudtable episode earlier this fall, I decided to give the 6x8 pocket albums a try because the guest said that she used it for documenting her own thoughts, grins, photos. She did not try to document her whole family's goings-on in there - she did that on regular layouts. It sounded like the kinds of quirky photos I take of things that I find funny, or food photos, or silly selfies. I had been posting these on FB and lately thinking that I wanted to post less on FB but what to do with the photos and quotes and thoughts I wanted to remember myself? So I ordered a 6x8 Snap album and a variety of page protectors and PL cards, and I ordered 3x4 prints from Persnickety Prints. It has been better than the 12x12 PL attempt, but I'm not yet convinced. The Snap 6x8 pocket pages do not have any 3x4 landscape oriented pockets, nor any 4x6 portrait oriented pockets. I have been putting 3x4 landscape photos in a 4x6 slot. The 4x6 pockets are 2 up with a 2x8" pocket that I don't find very useful. I don't find I can make many design choices with these limited orientations. By the time I put a few photos in, there is no room for all those pretty PL cards.

I'm packing it all away today and getting my December Daily project set up. I definitely will not use pocket pages, just 8x8 pages that I can arrange as I like. Hopefully working on this small format will get my enthusiasm up and I can return to the 6x8 pockets in the new year with an approach that workds WITH the limitations and not fight against them.

• anandi and Julie Paradise like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 6x8, project life, PL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users