Photo

Taking holiday photos... what are your struggles?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 carrie

carrie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationBeaches, Delaware

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:20 PM

I have no idea how to get a photo of my Christmas tree with my point and shoot (all I have at the moment unless Santa is kind this year)... so I was wondering if I'm the only one that has a hard time capturing certain things during the holidays? (I hope not!) 

mysiggiew-1.jpg

♥ blog | pinterest | podcast â™¥  my scrapbook art | gallery standouts  

#2 Carol

Carol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:05 PM

I really like taking close ups of our lights, the ornaments etc. Also Pinterest is a great place to look at pics of Christmas trees to get ideas for angles....you mentioned your camera, remember the one you have is the best and you can make it work! I had a point and shoot for years until I saved enough money for a dslr and some of those pics are stunning and worth blowing up! Hope this helps
Read about my life here: http://carolynchastain.blogspot.com
Instagram: http://instagram.com/carolchastain05
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/cchastain374/
{Connect the Dots...Words+Photos}

#3 FancyPantsNancy

FancyPantsNancy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:54 AM

As much as I'd like to have a fancy expensive camera, it's just not in the cards for me any time soon. Last year for my December Daily I pretty much only used my iPhone. But the truth is most of the photos were pretty dark. That is my biggest challenge. During the weekends there is more daytime activity to photograph. But during the weekdays it's mostly evening shots. I'll have to give some thought to photo opportunities during the day...

Anyone have some suggestions for getting better evening pics with an iPhone? Thoughts on ideas for daytime stories?

#4 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:03 PM

I think with any nighttime photography, you want to be as steady as possible. That sometimes means using a timer or tripod/propping up on something, or both, to get decent pics. I think the new iOS has a timer in the native camera, but I use TimerCam and it seems to work well. Good luck :)

#5 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 14 December 2014 - 11:58 PM

I've got a point and shoot and I just take a lot of photos. As many as I can. At different times of the day/evening/night. Close ups of the ornaments and lights. Far away shots. As many lights on as possible. Turn all the lights off. Then I pick the ones that appeal to me the most.

Try taking a photo of yourself in a solid coloured ornament bulb. Those are cool!
  • anandi likes this

#6 Rabea

Rabea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 04:03 AM

During my last vacation, I avoided reaching for my phone to take pictures. Though I was conscious about this choice, I slipped up a few times. Every beautiful sunset, every Wyoming sky, every rushing Montana river, brought with it the Twitch, an urge to reach for my camera-phone and seize the picturesque setting. I resisted, though, and after an instant of hesitation, I was able to enjoy each event for all its worth—not attempting to put a piece of it in my pocket to save for later. I took it all in—right then, right there—enjoying the experience for what it was: a perfect moment.

• Laura likes this

#7 angelBev

angelBev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:43 AM

my iphone pics tend to be on the dark side also. Yet I see plenty of others who have pics that are so full of light. I keep thinking there is somethign I am missing.

#8 joblackford

joblackford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationPacific NW

Posted 05 December 2015 - 05:12 PM

my iphone pics tend to be on the dark side also. Yet I see plenty of others who have pics that are so full of light. I keep thinking there is somethign I am missing.

I think a lot of people with sharp bright iPhone photos are using PicTapGo editing tools to make them look better (at least, a lot of the people in my instagram feed are).

Light is my biggest challenge this time of year. I notice that a lot of people I follow online seem to have light, bright homes or at least, much better lighting than I have, and white backgrounds and surfaces that reflect a lot of light and give a clean look to everything. I bump up the exposure on my pictures (edit brightness on instagram, for instance) and try to find the light. But a lot of the spaces I spend time in are dark and cluttered. My MIL has horrible dark orange carpet and both of my nephew's grandparents are borderline hoarders... all I wish for some days are clean backgrounds.

But I try to work with the "moody" light I have, to accept that our backgrounds are our real lives, and then I do what I can to take the best shots I can with the cameras I have. 

• janygb143 and anandi like this

#9 Julie Paradise

Julie Paradise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 05 December 2015 - 05:26 PM

[...] But a lot of the spaces I spend time in are dark and cluttered. My MIL has horrible dark orange carpet and both of my nephew's grandparents are borderline hoarders... all I wish for some days are clean backgrounds.

But I try to work with the "moody" light I have, to accept that our backgrounds are our real lives, and then I do what I can to take the best shots I can with the cameras I have. 

This might sound ... creepy or exxaggerated, but I had thought of my home to be fairly tidy and clean, until I started to care about my pictures more as I got into scrapbooking, and although I do not want to say that I changed things my home to make it more "show worthy", I did declutter areas that looked particularly messy in photos, even if in real life that did not occur to me.

I have thought about this myself, like: "Am I changing my home so my pics look better?" and in a way, yeah, I did, but it helped me, motivated me to get more style into our home, streamline it more, give the eye more rest and myself more room to breathe, and without scrapbooking I never would have changed anything.

• geordie281, MiaScraps and anandi like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users