Photo

Pocket Scrapbooking grown past it's intention?

pocket scrapbooking project life

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Aliwinn

Aliwinn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:07 PM

From what I saw, when Becky Higgins came out with "Project Life", her intention was to get your photos and stories down, to never feel behind, to do it quickly in today's busy world.  The original videos show Becky inserting journal cards, date cards, photos and having everything done in a snap!

Cut to today..........Project Life or pocket scrapbooking seems to me to be a different type of layout with the same time, effort, enabling, buying products etc. as regular scrapbooking....

I guess my questions are, does anyone still do the original version of Project Life, just slipping photos and cards into the pockets and leaving it at that?

Do you spend as much time on a pocket scrapping page as you would on a regular layout? Embellishing, techniques, making your own journalling cards etc.?

If so, why do you choose to do it in a pocket style rather than a regular 12x12 or 8 1/2 x 11 page?

Have we outgrown the original intention of Project Life?

• Patticlay, janygb143 and Julie Paradise like this

#2 Alissa@lifeonlakeland

Alissa@lifeonlakeland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:49 PM

What a great question. I was drawn to Project Life at the end of 2011 when I was expecting my second child, working full time and not sure how I would keep up with scrapbooking when the new baby arrived. I dived into project life and kept it pretty simple. In 2013 I again bought a core kit and kept going. Then mid year all the new product exploded and I succumbed to siren song of Studio Calico's subscription. I now have 5 core kits, several partial kits and 4 mini kits. I overbought product, which I regret but I'm now learning how to use that product on other layouts and making mini albums and other albums to use it up.

I still do the original, weekly basic project life with minimal embellishing. However because I feel "caught up" in the tiny details I now spend more time making layouts. I also have slightly more free time than I did before since my girls are growing up.

The pocket page system has also allowed me to complete a wedding and baby album - projects that I originally found overwhelming.

I do not spend more time on pockets than I do on a layout. For me project life is a place to record the random funny things my girls say, document their growing personalities and small quirks of the moments and some of the random events of our lives.

My layouts allow me to make connections over time and tell the bigger picture stories of our life. They also allow me to write letters to my daughters on values, life lessons and just how awesome I think they are because the "basic here is your childhood" is documented via project life.

I don't think we've outgrown the original intention of project life. I think it evolves and will continue to grow.

• Patticlay, Solange-Isbaha, mrscraftyadams and 1 other like this

#3 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:55 PM

I like @Alissa W's answer :)

I started scrapbooking with Project Life. "Real" layouts intimidated the heck out of me, but PL I could handle. I did embellish from the start, though, because I adore products :)  But I'm still MUCH faster at making PL layouts than a regular layout, even one as small as 8x8. The structure appeals to me and fits together like a puzzle.

My guess is that the financial success Becky is having from selling PL is probably pretty satisfying to her, regardless of how people choose to use it. :)  I love that there's an option for everyone - someone who's not crafty can just pick up a kit and go, but those of us who like the process and the "stuff" can spend as much time as we like and still have it be fun and relevant. That's pretty impressive for a product, IMO.

• mrscraftyadams, Scrapnsee, rlg510 and 1 other like this

#4 Teresa S

Teresa S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:30 AM

Don't get me started on this topic.  LOL.  I've thought this many, many times.  When PL first came out, it was everything in one box for one low price (I think aournd $50 for everything.... the album, the page protectors, all the cards, papers, stamp, etc...).  Since it has taken 'off', it has all been split up and increased prices.  Smart business move on BH's part after all, it's how she makes a living.  I think it's the scrapbookers themselves who have made the process more involved.  BH has always kept it simple when she talks about it.  

#5 storyangel

storyangel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:02 AM

Good question! I'm with Anandi on this. I got into scrapbooking but never really clicked with the whole 12x12 layout concept. I pretty much did it by copying others but it never truly felt like my own. When Project Life came along it felt very fretting; the roadblocks that I'd felt with traditional 12x12 layouts went away and I could be creative in my own way with PL, without just having to copy others. I do embellish, but I generally prefer a fairly clean look. I think Becky's original intentions are still valid, but I also think the PL has opened up scrapbooking in other ways too.
  • anandi likes this

#6 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:53 AM

Cut to today..........Project Life or pocket scrapbooking seems to me to be a different type of layout with the same time, effort, enabling, buying products etc. as regular scrapbooking....

Fascinating question! I haven't jumped into Project Life yet, but I have considered it. The one thing that stopped me? I didn't think I would be able to adhere to the simplicity Becky Higgins originally intended. The reason for considering the system in the first place was that I felt so very behind after not being able to devote much time to scrapbooking for quite awhile due to realities in my life that took up much of my time. I have scrapbooked one story from 2014 so far, and the stories just keep stacking up, so I thought, "what if I just do a modified PL album for 2014, get my pictures into pockets with journaling, and move on?" The answer was that I am too creative to be content with that. I need the little bits and pieces and cuteness that I always love including on my traditional pages, and creativity takes time.

So, if I'm going to put the same amount of time into pocket pages as traditional pages, it doesn't really solve the "problem" of being behind and feeling I could never possibly get it all done in one lifetime!

I think pocket pages are cool, and I love the mini-books I've done with the Snap albums. I am seriously considering PL for 2015 and doing it as I go. I think we all want to infuse our memory-keeping with our own particular style, whatever that is, and that's why the original ideal behind PL has evolved into the many different kinds of memory keeping we see with PL and similar products now.

• Dragonfly and anandi like this

#7 jokeysmurf

jokeysmurf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Locationwashington, usa

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:45 AM

Yes, there are several classes I want to take but not in Project Life format.  Enough already!  I did a photo a day (in blog format) in 2010-2011 and just getting the photos printed the right size and the journaling printed to make the album into a scrapbook...ugh!  I can't imagine doing Project Life daily unless I had a photo printer at home.  I'd always be behind because I needed to order photos.  I guess it's just not for me and it's everywhere...

• JoanieBaloney likes this

#8 IAmMikki

IAmMikki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:55 AM

12x12 scrapbooking will always have my heart. I started Project Life in 2010, which was a single box with an album, core kit and decorative monthly dividers. I had no choice but to do Project Life the intended way. Every so often I have the urge to get fancy but putting time, embellishments, and creative work into my Project Life is always short lived. I'm taking a picture a day, putting those pictures in a 4x6 or 3x4 pocket and journaling on a card (although I now get those cards from the Studio Calico kit instead of a core kit).

Pocket scrapbooking/Project Life has absolutely taken on a life of it's own. It's not picture-a-day, it's sometimes not simple, it's advanced to different page protectors and configuration of sizes and even the albums are varied now. I find it wonderful! Many of it isn't for me, I stick with what I know, which is Design A. If I use a page protector, it's an insert because otherwise it's too much work and planning.
  • Trrrracey likes this

#9 LeeAndra

LeeAndra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:24 AM

I don't do Project Life to streamline my scrapbooking process, but to streamline how I tell the stories I want to share. I like having the boundaries of the 3x4 pockets to tell a small story or summary of a day (as I can be quite wordy!) that does not need an entire scrapbook page, and I like having a 12x12 canvas to highlight a longer or more important story.

• anandi and TreesG like this

the one and only L.A.

all digi, all the time

#10 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:36 AM

I don't do it as simply as was intended, but I also don't go so far as so many scrapbookers do. My process is still quite fast -- faster than a regular layout.

I expect there are people who use it as it was intended, and most likely those people are the ones who weren't scrapbookers, who gave up on scrapbooking (or were about to), and who are not part of the online scrapbooking community.

But I'm very curious to know how many of those types of customers there are!!!

#11 dayb

dayb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:35 PM

Only use it when I have lots of photos, like when we travel. Then I hi light a few photo/events with full page layouts.

• TreesG likes this

#12 Teri H.

Teri H.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationLethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:27 PM

I'm on year two of weekly documentation. I embellish a "little" bit - it takes me maybe an hour to do two weeks worth, whereas in regular 12x12 scrapbooking, probably  an hour a page.

I think we need to remember that "comparison is the thief of joy". Once PL really got started by the industry professionals, and they stylized each and every pocket, then the rest of us non-professionals were more enticed to do PL the same way. Now we're frustrated and overwhelmed with "keeping up", which is incredibly ironic seeing as the intention was to make things easier. However, there are no scrapbooking police. You give a scrapbooker a blank canvas and s/he will take to it with whatever style s/he wishes. 

It really depends on your intentions and what you enjoy. 

• Noell, princessofcute, needtime2scrap and 2 others like this

Loving the Literary Life

www.thestoryknows.com

#13 Tiffany W

Tiffany W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 26 October 2014 - 02:48 PM

I stick to the original idea. Works for me. I try not to go overboard because I use it as a tool to manage my small, everyday moments with a big family.
  • princessofcute likes this

#14 JuliaK

JuliaK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationSweden- BorÃ¥s

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:07 PM

I do it weekly and some weeks I go full out with embellishments and stickers. But I tend to just go with my photos, a black pen and the "DIY Shop" value pack. I do have a few kit and allot of other scrap-stuff but the DIY-shop is my go to, just perfect! 

#15 FancyPantsNancy

FancyPantsNancy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:08 PM

I take a monthly approach and do very little embellishment. I get the Studio Calico PL kit - I love getting that little box of goodies each month!

#16 ronaba

ronaba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:05 AM

I use pocket pages in my Road Trip albums.

I get a lot of photos printed, put them in pockets and they are ready to view. I may then remove a photo or two and make it into a 12x12, especially when I want to expand on the story.

#17 ajohnson

ajohnson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:49 AM

Interesting thought. I have tried Project Life on several occasions/years as it is intended to be used. I have only completed 1 year (2012) Jan-Nov on a weekly basis. I really like the concept but when I started scrapbooking in 1999 I was doing yearly albums (not PL) and after about 6 years I was so overwhelmed about the future space of having all these albums that I quit the yearly random documentation. 

So fast forward to today . . . When I was introduced to PL in 2012 I liked the idea but can't seem to get over having a yearly album and all the extra space it will take up. BUT I do like the form of documentation that it can create. So I bought supplies and more supplies and subscribed to SC kit club. I have a bunch of page protectors that I am trying to use up and 3x4 and 4x6 cards that don't flow very well with my scrapbooking style. I have dabbled in monthly spreads, but then stopped because I still like making 12x12 layouts of certain topics and I felt like I was telling a duplicate story. I also love Week in the Life and December Daily so again I feel like I am documenting the same thing. 

So has it grown past it original intention . . . for me, yes because I was telling to many of the same stories. I do like to use pocket scrapbooking though because it helps me combine one subject (i.e. Day Fishing trips) into two pages instead of doing a page for each trip we went on. 

Now that 2015 is approaching again, I am sure I will start again, not finish and then create as I normally do. ~AnnJ

#18 haleyca

haleyca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:11 AM

I agree with what Noell said above that there probably are many people who do use Project Life for its original purpose, but you probably won't fine them here.  People involved in an online community about scrapbooking are interested in scrapbooking, follow products and trends, learn techniques and take classes and so probably would be more likely to put more time and effort into adding to and embellishing their pages.

I do think that (for a lot of people) Project Life is a completely different idea than making  layouts.  When I do PL I add photos that represent my life right now and not all of them have stories behind them or need explanation.  I will include photos of my outfit or the view from my window or some decor in my apartment without any journaling and very little embellishment.  I do also include photos that I want to journal about and explain but I will often make pages with photos that aren't extremely beautiful or particularly meaningful because when looked at together in the album represent that year in my life (not photos I would ever make a full layout about).  When I do PL it may take me a while to put my spread together, but I am often documenting an entire week or weekend or event on one page or two page spread.  So even if I am making the same amount of pages in the same amount of time, I get a lot more information and cover more time than I would on a 12x12 layout so it is "faster" in a sense.

#19 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:01 PM

I did Project 365 with the Becky Higgins kit in 2009. Every single day a 4x6 horizontal photo and a vertical 3x4 journaling card. Each week a 4x6 horizontal "week of" card, and that's it. No embellishing. The album was a bit of a chore to put together, but I completely adore the result.

When Project Life took off, I was intrigued by the new direction it was taking - no need for a photo EVERY day, as Project 365 required, and a bit more creativity was possible.

After a great deal of deliberation with myself, I decided to do Project Life in a 6x8 format for 2014. I know I'll enjoy the end product, and that keeps me going, but I find I have absolutely no desire to decorate the cards I put in the pockets. None. Photos slide in, journaling or filler cards slide in, and I'm done. I don't know what the problem is, as I love embellishing my 12x12 pages, but I just don't have any desire to do it in the pocket format.  I think I really want it to be fast, so that I can get back to making 12x12 pages, so I don't want to spend the time embellishing.

So, I'll finish the year, but I have discovered that the pockets confine me. And I obviously much prefer 12x12 pages, as whenever I find some time to scrap, I invariably choose to make a 12x12 page rather than work on PL.  

• Trrrracey likes this

#20 bestcee

bestcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:24 PM

From what I saw, when Becky Higgins came out with "Project Life", her intention was to get your photos and stories down, to never feel behind, to do it quickly in today's busy world.  The original videos show Becky inserting journal cards, date cards, photos and having everything done in a snap!

I guess my questions are, does anyone still do the original version of Project Life, just slipping photos and cards into the pockets and leaving it at that?

Do you spend as much time on a pocket scrapping page as you would on a regular layout? Embellishing, techniques, making your own journalling cards etc.?

If so, why do you choose to do it in a pocket style rather than a regular 12x12 or 8 1/2 x 11 page?

Yes and no.

I do it digital. I like to experiment with different layouts, because I get bored of the same old layout. And some weeks I like more than 7 photos, some weeks I have less little stories. I don't spend a ton of time on it. More than just the slipping into pockets, but not a ton. I like to add a few embellishments, and some days if I'm feeling super creative I will add a lot more to it.

Why I choose pocket style? The connections. I like to be able to showcase a week in a 24x12 page. I like to add the little moments that don't really have full page appeal. I like to add the little things that I already look back and smile about, but that aer micro stories. I ended up with a unique situation.

I started 2013 with the intention of being able to document my 3 year old becoming a 4 year old. Because there are so many changes from 3 to 4 - talking, independence, thoughts. But I decided to start early, in January instead of his birthday in March. I am incredibly glad I did. Come my son's birthday, DH was laid off. This resulted in moving cross country, moving in with family, and more schooling. I know our life right now is temporary. My son is creating memories with his grandma, and a lot of little moments. Some of these make it to a larger layout, but some are just little moments that I know he probably won't remember, and I want to remember - like reading or playing blocks. I continued with 2014 because our temporary life will continue until 2015. I am planning on doing 2015 because I know that will be another year of changes, and new routines.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pocket scrapbooking, project life

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users