30 replies to this topic

#1 Alissa@lifeonlakeland

Alissa@lifeonlakeland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:25 PM

So I am already thinking about what Project Life might look like for me in 2015. This is partially because after watching Becky Higgin's Creative Live class and her "begin with the end in mind" statement I knew I wanted to have an exit plan for project life and a plan for moving forward. And in 2013 I chose 2015 as the end but now I'm thinking this year might be the end because I'm ready to do something different.

So I'm curious what other peoples plans are for the coming year. Are you switching sizes? formats?

I had selected 2015 to be the end  of my traditional, weekly project life albums because it would take us through the first few months of my daughter's kindergarten year and my youngest first part of preschool and then the plan was in 2016 to switch to school of life albums (knowing that 2015 would overlap a bit).

However, I like the randomness of my project life albums. And since I'm documenting so frequently I now feel I make better scrapbook pages because I know I'm not behind. I think I might end up doing 2015 in a smaller album with a monthly format, but I'm still pondering and I am curious to know others thinking as well.

• janygb143, anandi and Julie Paradise like this

#2 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:32 PM

I've been thinking about this, too! I have done 2013 and 2014 in monthly format, Design A for monthly "highlights" and baseball card inserts for everyday moments/random memorabilia/embellishments from the stash. However, even with only limited pages, 2013 filled a whole album and 2014 will fill maybe 3/4 an album. I feel like my shelves are overwhelmed already, so where do I stop??

I could do digital or use the PL app, but I like using my handwriting, I have half a Core kit left, and I love adding in little bits from life. Think I'll just keep going as I've been... Worry about the storage space later??
  • mrscraftyadams likes this

#3 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:25 PM

I switched to monthly PL for 2014 and love it.  Weekly was just way too much for me, so I went to biweekly in late 2012 (right around the time BabyM was born, not a coincidence!) and kept that up for 2013, but for 2014 decided on monthly since I was SO FAR BEHIND.  (Didn't start 2014 until July, seriously.)

Monthly seems just right for me to keep it fun and interesting. I jot down things and keep random stuff so it's easy to "fill up" the layout, and once I gave myself permission for it to NOT be comprehensive, that really seemed to help.

I wish there was an intermediate size (with page protectors!) between 6x8 and 12x12.  One is too small IMO and the other too big :) 8.5x11 with nice page protectors with different kinds of pockets that fit the existing card sizes would be SO perfect.

• janygb143, geordie281, Alissa@lifeonlakeland and 1 other like this

#4 Julie Paradise

Julie Paradise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:15 AM

Since I only started in January 2014 my PL will be pretty much the same next year, I think. Which means monthly, no pressure, each month with its own colour scheme or style as I like to finish each month in 1 or 2 evenings. The only thing I like to keep as a rule is that I want to create whole pages or spreads so that the months do not overlap on one page. In between the page protectors I mix trad. 12x12 LOs that are more or less chronological, too. 

I love this approach so far and I am glad that I did this (kind of intuitively) from the start after pondering starting PL for some weeks and watching manymany youtube videos and seeing so many struggle with a strict weekly approach.

Since I only fill 2 or 3 page protectors and maybe another 1 or 2 each month I think I fit a whole year in one album so storage is not an issue. 

• anandi likes this

#5 LeeAndra

LeeAndra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:40 AM

I am wrapping up my second year of PL and itching to do something different.

I saw over on Shimelle's blog that she does 2 page spreads that include one pocket page and one traditional page. I love this idea and am running with it for 2015. I am envisioning that I will pick one event from the week to highlight on the big page and the rest of the week will fit in the pocket page. I already have my PL and traditional pages in the same album so I suppose it's just more combining of the two types of pages vs. actual 'true' PL. I am also mixing up differently-sized (like insert-size) pocket pages as the mood strikes me/the week dictates.

• anandi, Trrrracey, Alissa@lifeonlakeland and 1 other like this

the one and only L.A.

all digi, all the time

#6 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:47 PM

I've been doing monthly for a while and I think it's SO MUCH EASIER/like it so much better than weekly. I still use the 12x12 size, though.

• anandi and Maribethm like this

#7 Alissa@lifeonlakeland

Alissa@lifeonlakeland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:16 AM

I switched to monthly PL for 2014 and love it.  Weekly was just way too much for me, so I went to biweekly in late 2012 (right around the time BabyM was born, not a coincidence!) and kept that up for 2013, but for 2014 decided on monthly since I was SO FAR BEHIND.  (Didn't start 2014 until July, seriously.)

Monthly seems just right for me to keep it fun and interesting. I jot down things and keep random stuff so it's easy to "fill up" the layout, and once I gave myself permission for it to NOT be comprehensive, that really seemed to help.

I wish there was an intermediate size (with page protectors!) between 6x8 and 12x12.  One is too small IMO and the other too big :) 8.5x11 with nice page protectors with different kinds of pockets that fit the existing card sizes would be SO perfect.

I also wish there was a good option for 8.5x11
  • geordie281, anandi and Maribethm like this

#8 Alissa@lifeonlakeland

Alissa@lifeonlakeland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:17 AM

I am wrapping up my second year of PL and itching to do something different.

I saw over on Shimelle's blog that she does 2 page spreads that include one pocket page and one traditional page. I love this idea and am running with it for 2015. I am envisioning that I will pick one event from the week to highlight on the big page and the rest of the week will fit in the pocket page. I already have my PL and traditional pages in the same album so I suppose it's just more combining of the two types of pages vs. actual 'true' PL. I am also mixing up differently-sized (like insert-size) pocket pages as the mood strikes me/the week dictates.

I really like this idea-it's got my wheels spinning with ideas! Thanks for sharing
  • anandi and TreesG like this

#9 leslieannharvey

leslieannharvey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:30 AM

I have been doing weekly in 2014 and in a 12x12. So... behind... and sooo over it. ;) 

After working this week in my "Week in the Life" project, I've decided to switch to doing a handbook size album for 2015 AND will be doing one, full week documentation each month, and then adding in a page here and there each month for other note-worthy things. I'm LOVING all the goodness I'm getting out of WITL. It's my first year doing it and I'm capturing more US in this project than I do in my weekly spreads of 12x12.... Probably because I'm SO overwhelmed with getting those done.... 

• anandi likes this

#10 mrscraftyadams

mrscraftyadams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationBristol, Tennessee

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:15 PM

This year I've really embraced combining weeks into one spread. It really works for me. I can do weekly or 2-week spreads. It's cut down on the space it takes up. I think I will continue doing that in the future. 

I also want to do some back scrapping of 2009-2012 when Hubby and I met up to when I started Project Life. This album will be done by event, not by week or month (I wasn't taking pics and keeping track of things that happened back then).

#11 Alissa@lifeonlakeland

Alissa@lifeonlakeland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:09 PM

It's so fun to read how everyone is approaching this. I "retro" scrapped 2011 in project life as I had lots of printed photos that hadn't been scrapped. Right now I feel caught up in terms of having major & minor stories told.
  • Trrrracey likes this

#12 legal_memories

legal_memories

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationWashington, D.C.

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:39 PM

I'm thinking about 2015 too.  I did a weekly PL book in 2013 and I love looking at it, but I was definitely tired of it by the end of the year.  I  am doing monthly PL this year, and I'm actually behind and I have found I that I've gotten frustrated because I think little stories get lost when I'm only doing 1 monthly spread.  So I'm thinking about going back to weekly in 2015.  It's a good time because my oldest will be finishing elementary school and going on to middle school, my husband is turning 40 and my younger son is turning 10 - so lots of fun milestones that will be great to look back on in the future.  

• anandi likes this

#13 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:25 PM

I'm thinking about 2015 too.  I did a weekly PL book in 2013 and I love looking at it, but I was definitely tired of it by the end of the year.  I  am doing monthly PL this year, and I'm actually behind and I have found I that I've gotten frustrated because I think little stories get lost when I'm only doing 1 monthly spread.  So I'm thinking about going back to weekly in 2015.  It's a good time because my oldest will be finishing elementary school and going on to middle school, my husband is turning 40 and my younger son is turning 10 - so lots of fun milestones that will be great to look back on in the future.  

I struggle with this too - losing the "everyday" stories, so I'm trying to capture some in my 5 Year Journal or just in a notebook so I can go back and make individual layouts later, rather than PL.  (Though I also use the little entries in my 5 year journal to fill in extra spaces in my PL as well.).  But still, I don't want to go back to weekly, because I also don't want more than one album for a year!

#14 lisa-beesa

lisa-beesa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:23 PM

My first attempt at PL was this year, on a monthly basis, with a random mix of 8x8 layouts and 6x8 pocket pages.

I keep flip-flopping though between when I want to do layouts and when I want to do pocket pages and it kinda feels like a mess. For 2015, I'm thinking of prepping an album beforehand with a full 8x8 page and then a 6x8 pocket page next to it to see if that gets me to be more cohesive. I've also started cutting some of the pocket pages in half (making a four 3x4 slots into a protector with two 3x4 slots) for extra little bits that might not need much focus. 

I considered going to 8.5x11, but I'm still crazy in love with the smaller sizes right now :wub:  It's way more versatile than I thought!

• anandi likes this

Lisa LeClair

Blogging (and everything else!) at: Blackbird Darlin'

#15 IAmMikki

IAmMikki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:41 PM

My Project Life will remain largely unchanged. I will stick with picture-a-day because I found that in 2013 when I did week at a glance, I was missing so many small things that I loved. I am using 12x12, because smaller sizes just don't work for me for anything other than a mini-album. I am also staying with Design A, after 5 years of using Design A it's become second nature.

One thing I would like to change is my routine, which is non-existant. I would really like to get in the habit of working on my album weekly, and not putting off my journaling because while my photos are up to date (2 weeks behind) but my journaling is behind since June.
  • geordie281 likes this

#16 josieb

josieb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:18 PM

I've tried Project Life for two years now; I haven't finished one year.  Not even close.  I hope to eventually go back and scrap quickly the small moments from 2013 and 2014.  Kind of.  Meh.  

I love the idea of Project Life...I just haven't found a way for me to make it work with my life and schedule. When I get a chance to scrap on the weekends, I choose to work on themed mini-albums or 12x12 (or 8.5x11) layouts with stories I've been wanting to tell.  I love, love capturing every day stuff..but I'm not always inspired to get it into pockets.

I want to make PL work for me in 2015!  I want to have a complete album in December!  So...I'm trying to be proactive and make it work for me.  :)

I've gone back and listened to PRT Project Life episodes to hear others' processes, preferences, and tips.  I just signed up for a Paperclipping membership, and I've watched and re-watched the PL videos ---> so helpful!  I've been looking on blogs and pinterest for inspiration.  I'm hoping to spend an hour or two culling through all of this information and making a game plan.  

So far, this is what I have:

* Weekly spreads (I think......)

* Primarily typed journaling (with some handwriting)

* Lots of white - limit colors

* Mostly photos; limit "filler" cards and embellishments

* Smaller inserts mixed in

Now I just need to decide on a size....!  I've tried a Handbook and 12x12 with Design A, and I didn't like either.  Maybe I'll try Design G this year.  Hmm, lots to think about.  :)

• Julie Paradise likes this

#17 SueTR

SueTR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA, USA

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:58 PM

*sigh* well, this will be my fourth year of weekly documentation w PL and I think I am going to pack it in when this year is done.  I love the albums when they are finished, I love that there is a home for all the little "stuff of life" that I/we collect but keeping up with it is stressing me out tooooo much.  I have never managed to work on it every week and instead work on it in chunks of 1-3 months at a time.  I'm playing catch up now and am kind of resenting that I'm spending so much time on this, I don't have time or mojo left for layouts.  I add lots of inserts etc, and I've ended up with 2-12x12 albums per year.   I'm considering doing something digital for 2015 kind of like a month in review page or two or resurrecting the "photos I love" concept.  I definitely like using pocket scrapbooking as part of my memory keeping arsenal, I am just burned out on the weekly gig.

• hannaly likes this

#18 Sandy

Sandy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 November 2014 - 04:43 PM

Well I am coming up to the end of my first year of PL and wondering if I want to embark on this again. When I look through my 2014 album I can see how my style has changed over the months, see how I've tried to simplify and make it less time consuming. I am confident that I am close to a 'routine' with it now. My preferred pockets are the 6x6 pockets (four to a page) and I also do 12 x 12 layouts for any outstanding events in that month. I like doing this as it keeps my 12 x 12 layouts in chronological order and within a reference. But it does mean 2014 is now split into two volumes. Listening to PRT this morning Noell mentioned that she splits her PL into quarters that follow the seasons. Great idea! So I might adopt that next year. 

I asked my family last night if I should continue, am I wasting my time. And the consensus was that they like seeing the photos printed out. And that it seems is motivation enough for me. So 2015 here I come!

• geordie281 and Julie Paradise like this

#19 lotustreecrafts

lotustreecrafts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:11 AM

I've been thinking about this a lot lately too. Before having my son, I was all over the weekly layouts. I documented regularly for 2 years and it was great, especially while recording my pregnancy, but post baby, once back at work, I've just found the weekly layouts to be unsustainable. I talked to my husband about this concern before starting 2014 but he felt like, since I'm not doing a baby album, the PL album is super important as a document of his early life. But I'm currently looking at the beginning of Oct while in mid Nov and that means that what I'm recording just doesn't have the same immediacy to it.

I keep thinking about the monthly layouts but then I'm dealing with the same issue as I'm having now: the fact that I feel like I'm only recording the surface stuff because I forget the little details. On the other hand, maybe I'll feel less of a need for the filler so there will be less of those surface, here's the photo stories. So I'm a little torn. I want the stories to capture the every day little stuff, and I feel like I only remember those details when I make a concerted effort to stay on top of the album. I worry that if I switch to the monthly format that I'll get even worse at thinking about it and remembering to jot it down? Maybe I just need a better way of keeping tabs of the little story snippets I want to tell if I switch to a monthly format? I definitely need to figure out if a switch will be more sustainable and make for better story telling!

#20 geordie281

geordie281

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationAdelaide South Australia

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:30 PM

I've just looked through the last 3 years of 12x12 design A weekly spreads, and I just have to keep going the same way, they are such a joy to look back on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users