Photo

How do you inventory or catalog your stamps?

Stamps organize

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Travelsoul

Travelsoul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationOrange County California

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:44 PM

I have all my stamps nicely stored in pockets in bins, and organized by theme. But I have so many sets that are multi-themed and have sentiments that can be easily mixed and matched. The problem is I have a lot, and I'm starting to forget what I have. Does anyone keep an inventory system?

#2 Solange-Isbaha

Solange-Isbaha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:35 AM

I have a lot of stamps *in my opinion*, but as everything enter in 4 shoes boxes, probably not that much...

I only keep stamps I love, and I stamped each of them on five 12by12 sheets. It's the quicker way for me to find what I want... And it wasn't too long to do! :)

I tried before the book of stamps, with stamping stamps by categories on each page, but finally, I am way more inspired by flipping through a book than looking at wide sheets.

I did the same for my dies/punches: one 12by12 sheet (two sides) with dies cut in paperscraps. So helpful!

• Travelsoul likes this

#3 Patter

Patter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationGlad to be back in the Carolinas

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:23 AM

I created a Rolodex inventory years ago as I have 1,000+ stamps. LOVE my inventory. I can always find what I want very quickly and sets are still stored together. Here is my tutorial from 4 years ago:

http://triplethescra...ting-stamp.html

Yes, I still have my system this way because it works so well for me. Hope it helps. :)

• Solange-Isbaha, Melissa, mshanhun and 2 others like this
Patter, Mom to identical triplet girls in college
Asst. DT Coordinator for Blue Fern Studios

#4 dayb

dayb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:53 AM

I have them in a bin I got from Target, filed by type (alpha /numbers, backgrounds, florals). Of course, there are tons of overlapping, multi themed ones. My wooden ones are in another bin, stored on their side with labels. and another bin for oversized stamps that don't fit any where else.

When the bags they come in rip/wear out, they go into some plastic bag I got at the office supply store. I cut a piece of bristol board (or poster board) cut to size keeps the bags from being to 'floppy".

#5 Patter

Patter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationGlad to be back in the Carolinas

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:07 AM

One other thing I wanted to mention. Having the inventory set up the way I do, I am able to store stamps in any way around my room. For instance, I have wooden stamps in printer's trays on the wall and cling mount in binders on my desk. I am easily able to find each stamp by using the inventory. So, you don't even have to store your stamps in the same way. :)

• Brooke likes this
Patter, Mom to identical triplet girls in college
Asst. DT Coordinator for Blue Fern Studios

#6 April

April

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:38 PM

I have an inventory of my stamps in Microsoft Excel I keep this file in Dropbox so I can access it on-the-go or update it from any of my computers.

I have mostly Close To My Heart acrylic stamps which I keep in file boxes.

I've blogged about it here:

http://thefragrantha...n-answered.html

and here:

http://thefragrantha...craft-room.html

Disclaimer - I've re-done my room and messed it up several times since these posts and CTMH no longer has different colors for different categories of their stamps but I still do sort my stamps by category. The most important category that gets the most use is "Cricut Stamps" stamp sets that are designed to coordinate with Cricut cartridges.

• Scrapnsee likes this

#7 cards4ever

cards4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:22 PM

I have two stamp binder for my clear stamps. I attach all the package images onto a split ring. I just flip through the ring when I am in need of an image. I like this method because most of the images are printed on transparency which allows me to lay it onto my project to see that it looks like. 

Mandi

My blog is called Kraze of MJ 

I design for Scrapbook Challenges, Child's Play Challenges and Simple Sketches

#8 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:29 AM

When I first started stamping I began to break up sets, but quickly realized the whole multipurpose thing was an issue so I put my sets back together and filed them alphabetically. I also had a stamped index in a binder, but over time it became unwieldy and was a pain to maintain. I had to take each individual stamp and stamp them on each page they belonged on, and then had to clean up after. Not bad when dealing with one set, but I usually purchase between 5 and 10 sets at one time. I eventually settled on using photo organizing software and have been very pleased with it. I use ACDSee, but there are others out there.

1) In my main photo folder I created an index folder named "STAMP INDEX". Inside my index I have a folder for each stamp set named by "BRAND - SET NAME". Inside each folder is an image of the set I copy and saved from the internet. So my hierarchy would go like this... Stamp Index,   Lawn Fawn - Joy to the Woods,   Joy to the Woods.

2) I then created a main keyword category called "Stamp Index". Under this I nested all my keywords such as Christmas, Halloween, Baby, Birthday, etc... I also nested more detailed keywords as needed. For example, under Christmas I nested keywords for snowflakes, gingerbread, Trees, Holly etc... So if I just want to peruse for Christmas stamps in general I would click on "Christmas" and thumbnails of all my images of sets assigned to this keyword will pop up on display. If I know I am specifically looking for Christmas trees, then I click "Trees" that is nested under my "Christmas" keyword. All sets with Christmas trees pop up. You can be as simple or as detailed as you want with keywords. Once I decide which set I want, I pull it from my shelf where it is filed alphabetically.

3) I am so happy with this set up, that I went ahead and made individual index's for my stencils, dies, and embossing folders.

This system has also eliminated my accidental repurchasing of these items I already own since its basically an inventory list of what I have.

#9 Brooke

Brooke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast, California

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:10 AM

I kept purchasing "cute stamps" and getting home to find I already had them, so I created a stamp inventory. When I buy a new stamp or set, I stamp a black image on 8.5x11 white cardstock and keep the pages in a 3 ring binder. Like another commenter said, I can store the stamps around my room as space permits. Wood-mounted Stampin' Up sets are stacked in a cupboard. I mark "SU" near the stamped images in my inventory. Other wood-mounted stamps are in a few shoeboxes, and my inventory tells me to look for a wood-mounted. CTMH stamp sets are stored together in their storage boxes, and again the inventory shows "CTMH" so I know where to look. Other acrylic stamps are piled in a small box and I dig for the one I want to use. (A binder with pockets for these stamps is on my "Someday" To Do list.) When I purge stamps that I don't use, I just draw an X though the image in my inventory.

I also made an inventory of my stamp pads: I use the same stamp (a feather) and stamp an image from each pad I own. It is perfect for matching ink to cardstock without guessing.

I look through or take both inventories with me when I do serious stamp or ink shopping so I don't waste money duplicating what I already have.

• Melissa likes this

#10 GwynnAsbury

GwynnAsbury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationMountain View, CA

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:39 AM

I have kept an inventory system and like others it has gotten to be unmanagable since I often purchase stamp sets in bulk.....  Stampin Up stamps now come in clear boxes with the name and image on the spine - these I do not inventory, and have them easily accessible.  Other stamp brands I have stored similar to Patter's.  

Currently, any new stamps coming in are transfered to the Stampin' Up DVD boxes they sell for their cling mount stamps - and I slip the image sheet into the cover.  I have found that some stamp sets I keep and treasure and some I want to sell later - they are harder to sell later if I can't remember the set, images, or who made em.....

#11 vintageplaid

vintageplaid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:40 PM

I came looking for some ideas for indexing my stamps, so thanks everyone for the suggestions and sharing of your own systems. This will help me get better organized. I appreciate this forum!

~barbara~ B)

#12 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:44 PM

Yes...thanks for bringing this back up. I'm in the need to get my stamps working. Ideas are swirling.....

#13 Ohhh_Snap

Ohhh_Snap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 05:44 PM

I stamp "like" things together on a sheet like Birthday Sentiments, Floral Images (with the name of the company and the set)  and put the sheets in page protectors in a binder.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Stamps, organize

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)