Photo

If We Were To Talk About Art Journaling On PRT...

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 Valerie-MyRainbowCoalition

Valerie-MyRainbowCoalition

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:20 AM

I've been doing art journaling to some degree for about a year, but my problem always comes down to how to make it a journal again.  I have two journals filled with backgrounds, and hardly any writing.  How do art journalers incorporate journaling or is that not an important part of the process?

• magentals likes this

logo+for+paperclipping.png

My Blog: My Rainbow Coalition

Scrapping with a full palette!

#22 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:42 AM

Wow, you guys have given me enough content for multiple episodes! This is great!!

• Scrappy Carrie likes this

#23 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:05 PM

I haven't really started art journaling yet, though I've wanted to for a long time. As a scrapbooker, I would want to know from people who do both how each compliments or influences the other.

• Tiffany W likes this

#24 stampartiste

stampartiste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Locationsouth Louisiana

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:19 AM

I would love an episode covering Art Journaling, Noell.  This is something I have always wished I could do.  But I am so left-brained (logical, linear, overanalyzing things) that I wonder if this is strictly an art form for the more creative right-brainers.  I would love to hear if there are any left-brain scrapbookers who also art journal, and if so, how do they incorporate free-form art in their linear style?  I used to doodle in my notebooks and journals when I was in high school, but doodling is not exactly the same thing as art journaling.  :)  Are there any step-by-step beginning art journaling classes being taught by scrapbookers?

• Tiffany W, jemi and Scrapnsee like this

Shirleÿ

#25 MaryCole

MaryCole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationVirginia, US

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:11 AM

I would love an episode covering Art Journaling, Noell.  This is something I have always wished I could do.  But I am so left-brained (logical, linear, overanalyzing things) that I wonder if this is strictly an art form for the more creative right-brainers.  I would love to hear if there are any left-brain scrapbookers who also art journal, and if so, how do they incorporate free-form art in their linear style?  I used to doodle in my notebooks and journals when I was in high school, but doodling is not exactly the same thing as art journaling.  :)  Are there any step-by-step beginning art journaling classes being taught by scrapbookers?

Left-brainers can art journal. So what if our pages are bit more orderly than our right-brained friends. :)  After three years of art journaling, I find that I am much more willing to let go and experiment with different techniques.

Doodling can be the same as art journaling if that's what you want it to be. There are no rules in art journaling. Many people use doodles in their journals and it is certainly a way to get started. All you need is a book of paper, or single sheets that you will bind later, a pen, and a colorant to get started.

Julie Fe-Fan Balzer is a scrapbooker, although she seems to be more into Project Life these days. She has an online class called "30 Days in Your Journal" for beginners and a series of classes called "Getting Started" on how to use different types of mixed media. I have taken all of these excellent classes; Julie is a wonderful teacher. Her class information can be found here. She also does a weekly post every Friday on art journaling.

• stampartiste and Tiffany W like this

Mary

Blog - Time for Dabbling

#26 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:18 AM

Tangie Baxter is a great guest... she's been on The Digi Show a couple times too. They talked about the difference between art journaling and mixed media. She recently ran a workshop about scrapping your fan obsessions in an art journal style and it was really fun to watch.

• Ina and ShortDrMom like this

Wendyzine Scraps

Studio Wendy @ Scrapbookgraphics  •  Photoshop & Elements Instructor

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

#27 ShortDrMom

ShortDrMom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:56 AM

Do you know any art journalers that are also scrapbookers? The only one I am familiar with is Tangie Baxter, but I'm not 100% sure that she scrapbooks.

Karen Grunberg does both scrapbooking and art journaling. I would really love to hear her talk about how she decides which to use. I think another topic to talk about in art journaling is where one goes for ideas and inspiration (classes? books? blogs? etc)

• Tiffany W likes this

#28 Keitha

Keitha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationBarrie, Ontario, Canada

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:34 PM

I would also like to hear Dina Wakley and Roben-Marie Smith on the panel discussing art journaling.

• Tiffany W and cathiereed like this

#29 StampingRooster

StampingRooster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:50 PM

I'm curious as to whether any of the suggested guests have youtube channels?

• Tiffany W likes this

Gretchen

Now blogging and posting process videos

#30 MaryCole

MaryCole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationVirginia, US

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:19 PM

Julie Fe-Fan Balzer is a scrapbooker, although she seems to be more into Project Life these days. She has an online class called "30 Days in Your Journal" for beginners and a series of classes called "Getting Started" on how to use different types of mixed media. I have taken all of these excellent classes; Julie is a wonderful teacher. Her class information can be found here. She also does a weekly post every Friday on art journaling.

Julie announced the opening of her new classroom with many new features on her blog today. She is still offering her Stencil 101 class for free. It will give you an idea of her teaching method as well as providing you techniques you can use in your scrapbooking and in an art journal. The classes I mentioned before are still available in the new classroom.

Mary

Blog - Time for Dabbling

#31 Patter

Patter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationGlad to be back in the Carolinas

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:07 AM

I would also like to hear Dina Wakley and Roben-Marie Smith on the panel discussing art journaling.

Here is Roben-Marie's channel.

https://www.youtube....user/robenmarie

She also has videos on Vimeo and other places. If you search YouTube for the artist's name, you can probably find most that you are looking for. :)

• StampingRooster and Ina like this
Patter, Mom to identical triplet girls in college
Asst. DT Coordinator for Blue Fern Studios

#32 Jermangirl

Jermangirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:01 AM

Wow! Now I can't wait to head the episode!!

I have an art journal I started a few summers ago as a creative activity to take outside while the kids played, but I haven't touched it in months and months! I think you're all just inspired me to get it back out and try some new things!

Noell...one thing I have always struggled with in regards to art journalling is how to manage the aspect of drying time....I find that there is a lot of time waiting for layers to dry, etc. Maybe your guests could speak to their process - how much time to they take on a page? Do they do it in little spits and spurts, or sit down for the long haul.

Also - I agree a list of 10 "must have" products would be helpful! I find mixed media/art journalling supplies pricey and I'm often hesitant to purchase if I'm not really sure how to use it or if I'll use it..

Cheers,

Jen

#33 mmontanaro1504

mmontanaro1504

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:04 AM

yea, Roben Marie, Julie Balzer, Karen Grunberg, Christy Tomlinson - those are my faves...

I would want to hear more about their process... how they choose what they're going to do and why... techniques and products... how they balance different art forms - scrapbooking, art journaling, plife-type stuff, etc.

#34 mmontanaro1504

mmontanaro1504

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:06 AM

I vote Christy Tomlinson too she has EXCELLENT courses. Would love to hear her on the show.

#35 NYC Scrapper

NYC Scrapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:48 AM

Wow! Now I can't wait to head the episode!!

I have an art journal I started a few summers ago as a creative activity to take outside while the kids played, but I haven't touched it in months and months! I think you're all just inspired me to get it back out and try some new things!

Noell...one thing I have always struggled with in regards to art journalling is how to manage the aspect of drying time....I find that there is a lot of time waiting for layers to dry, etc. Maybe your guests could speak to their process - how much time to they take on a page? Do they do it in little spits and spurts, or sit down for the long haul.

Also - I agree a list of 10 "must have" products would be helpful! I find mixed media/art journalling supplies pricey and I'm often hesitant to purchase if I'm not really sure how to use it or if I'll use it..

Cheers,

Jen

I use a heat gun to dry things when I'm impatient - which is almost always.  :)  I also have 3 journals, so while one is drying, I work in another one.

• cathiereed and Jermangirl like this

#36 paperprincess

paperprincess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationSunny So Cal!

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:16 PM

Just purchased Dina Wakely's first book on art journaling: "Art Journal Freedom-How to journal creatively with color and composition" and it's really fabulous!!!  All the pages shown are Dina's in this book, but that's perfectly fine with me. It's kind of like looking over her shoulder to see her process and she really breaks it down, along with great illustrations, photos, and just a ton of easily digestible schtuff! :)

I've just cracked it open and been reading it as i would any other book....just gives me a feel for it, plus it's just such good information to learn. I'm sure many people can just dive in and do it, but I tend to dip my toes in, and research a bit, gather supplies, and then.....dive in! 

She's also coming out with another book pretty soon. Got my copy on Amazon...love my amazon prime! :)

so, that said....i've not responded in any way to noell's question on how to approach the topic!!! i love what everyone else has said though, so ditto that!!! :)

• cathiereed likes this

create a beautiful life!

donna 

#37 Scrappy Angel

Scrappy Angel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationBrampton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:13 AM

Noell, I know you have more than enough material here for a show but just wanted to echo others in that I would love to listen to a PRT on art journalling. 

#38 Glinda - Razzled Scrapper

Glinda - Razzled Scrapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationSouthern California USA

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:31 AM

I would love an Art Journaling for Dummies episode! Kind of like a back to basics Art Journaling 101 type thing!

110% agree. I went to the store to buy a few supplies and I was totally overwhelmed. I would like to know the basics to start out with and the how/why to use them.

Glinda

My Pinterest

#39 Robin Sparkles

Robin Sparkles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationManito, IL

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:07 PM

Just purchased Dina Wakely's first book on art journaling: "Art Journal Freedom-How to journal creatively with color and composition" and it's really fabulous!!!  All the pages shown are Dina's in this book, but that's perfectly fine with me. It's kind of like looking over her shoulder to see her process and she really breaks it down, along with great illustrations, photos, and just a ton of easily digestible schtuff! :)

Paperprincess...where did you get this book. I'd like to look into it!

#40 paperprincess

paperprincess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationSunny So Cal!

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:37 PM

Paperprincess...where did you get this book. I'd like to look into it!

Amazon of course! :) they get most of my money! LOL! :)
  • Ina and Robin Sparkles like this

create a beautiful life!

donna 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users