• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ErinK

ErinK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:03 PM

How do you all preplan pages?  I don't print at home (hoping for a sephly for Christmas) so I am always struggling to decide which photos to print for what size.  Any advice would be appreciated!  Thanks

#2 joblackford

joblackford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationPacific NW

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:30 PM

Printing at home does make it a lot easier. 
If you have an iPhone, the PL app can be used for planning pages. 

I used to draw up a rough layout of my spread on scrap paper with a list of the events I wanted to cover and then I'd scroll through my photos and note what photos I wanted to use (I would flag the photos I liked the best in iPhoto first - always too many!) I would just write a little note in each box - nothing fancy. It's easier if you have a regular pattern to follow - like always using one design of protector and always using the pockets the same way (like the traditional Becky Higgins layout with a seven 4x6s). If you are photoshop savvy you could mock up the whole thing digitally. 

I use a smaller album and over time I've stopped planning it out. 

• ErinK likes this

#3 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:23 PM

I only do monthly, so i only need one post-it note in my crafty calendar. I sketch a 2-pg Design A spread in pen, then write the ideas for each pocket in pencil. I made a rule this year not to add embellishments to the main spreads, so I don't need too much space :)

I limit my pictures to 4x6 for horizontal and 2.5x3.5 baseball card (insert) for vertical. I try to take a horizontal shot at an event if I know it's going to go in the album (birthdays, holidays, etc. if I don't have a horizontal, I use photoshop and put 2 3x4 on a horizontal 4x6!
  • ErinK likes this

#4 pattyc

pattyc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern PA

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:48 AM

I wait for a really good deal at Snapfish or Shutterfly and then print tons of photos. I end up with far more than I use this way, but since they only cost pennies a piece it is less expensive than printing at home. I did invest in a 4x6 printer though because I find that when I print in batches that I end up with photos in the wrong orientation or the wrong size. I use my home printer to reprint photos that need to be edited to work. 

Not the most efficient method, but probably cheaper in the long run for me!

• ErinK likes this

#5 IAmMikki

IAmMikki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:09 AM

The first thing I do is that I put my photos from the week (or however long) all in 1 folder, I do my Project Life as Picture-a-day so I can narrow it down by date, but if you're doing week at a glance, pick out your favorites and get rid of the others. I also keep in mind the type of page protector I'm using, so I keep pairing it down until I have the spaces filled and if there are photos I just don't want to eliminate then I figure out how to add an insert.
  • ErinK likes this

#6 donyaluana

donyaluana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 25 September 2014 - 05:16 AM

My process is similar to @IAmMikki, but I do a pre-plan in Photoshop.  I wrote about it in some detail on my blog here.  

• ErinK likes this

I can be found over here: www.donyaluana.com/blog

Instagram: @donyaluana

#7 JuliaK

JuliaK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationSweden- BorÃ¥s

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:22 AM

I do one page/week and print at home. but before we got the printer I made maps on my desktop for each week. seeing witch should be 4x6 and witch I could make 3x4. (I usually use the design A or D) So for say, july, I hade the weeks and put my photos from my "real" camera and from my phone. This worked great for me :)

• ErinK likes this

#8 April

April

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:43 PM

I print at home using an Epson PictureMate. Actually mostly I print AT scrapbook retreats using an Epson PictureMate and my laptop. I don't get a lot of scrapbooking done when I'm at home - I work better with the singleness of purpose that comes from going away to scrapbook. And I NEED to get away periodically.

I use Adobe Lightroom for photo organization I review the photos on my laptop using Lightroom.

I narrow my choices down to a number of photos from an event. Then I begin to look at those photos as a group, is anything important missing from the photos I've chosen, do any of the photos not go with the group, or do they clash? I may reconsider if there is something I've chosen that now I want to give it's own layout. I try to have an idea of which photos I want to give supremacy on the layout - (if I were going to use larger sized photos & I were ordering photos out I would get those photos in standard and enlarged size.) Since I print at home I might consider using 2 4x6 prints to make up a large  8x6. I would consider if I have a good mix of portrait and landscape photos - I like to have a nice balance of both. If I did not have a good mix, I would consider omitting or adding photos / or I might try to find photos I could crop to make them the right orientation.

Sometimes I print two portrait 3x4 photos side by side on a 4x6 and use it in a landscape space in my layout.

At that point I would begin designing my layout. In the past when I had to wait for printed photos, I have sometimes printed my photos in B&W on copy paper and trimmed them and used them as placeholders on my layout. I may have to change a few things when I get the color photos - but it does give me a pretty good idea.

Once I think I am satisfied with my layout I start printing the photos - beginning with the focal photos. I find that I may end up making tweaks as I go.

Sometimes I go through the selection process and I'm pretty certain I have the chosen the photos I absolutely will use or maybe I can't envision the page yet. In that case I'd print the photos, lay them out on a blank page - and design around them.

• ErinK likes this

#9 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 02:56 PM

I don't pre-plan. I did at first, but found that to be a horrendous process. So I changed to doing PL monthly and I take as many pages as I need to finish out my month. That way I print in whatever format my photo is already in, and I print as many photos as I think I want to use.

Most of my photos are horizontal 4x6 and vertical 3x4. Those are easy and I just fit them into pockets until I'm done. If I end up with some vertical 4x6's and horizontal 3x4's and I gather them altogether and put them into one pocket page that accommodates them.

• FancyPantsNancy and ErinK like this

#10 Sandy

Sandy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:04 PM

Deciding what size to print my photo's has always been my biggest issue with PL. Often I will print them  6x4 or 4x6 orientation only to find I had to many one of orientation and it wouldn't work with my pocket page. My photos would end up out of order because I have to fit them in a pocket page that worked, rather than where I wanted it. Now I take all square photos and print them 5x5 and only use the 6x6 pocket pages. I find it uses up my 6x6 paper pads and I can treat each 6 x 6 pocket as a mini scrapbook page, go minimalist or just print journalling. Sometimes I will print them 3 x 3 and have two photos over lapping on a 6 x 6 background. I find it easier to match 6 x 6 papers then PL cards. Or I cut down my 12 x12 papers to fit. I also print at home which is far easier. 

#11 Julie Paradise

Julie Paradise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:38 AM

Since I got my new smartphone in July I mainly take and print square fotos, 4x4. Whenever I make a rectangular foto chances are I print it out a lot bigger, up to 12x12, so these fotos go on traditional layouts whereas the square fotos go in page protectors that have square pockets. No pondering necessary.  :D

• Sandy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users