#1 BethQuiroz

BethQuiroz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:02 PM

One of my scrappy goals is to make it on to a design team. For those of you who have done this before, can you give me any tips or advice?  :)

• Tracie Marie likes this

My blog: bethsblatherings.blogspot.com

Instagram:  http://instagram.com/divinemsq

Guest on PRT Episode #205: Cheesy At Heart

VENI VIDI VELCRO - I came, I saw, I stuck around

#2 Patter

Patter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationGlad to be back in the Carolinas

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:09 AM

The biggest advice I can give you is be yourself! Don't try to change your style to match "what you think" they might want. You will be miserable trying to create their way and not what you enjoy. Be true to your style and have fun. A blog with followers is great too but I have never done the Facebook thing and don't plan on it. Some teams require Facebook and for me, it's not my cup of tea. Also, join in challenges on blogs (manufacturing and challenge blogs). You will get noticed that way. :) Have fun!

• Carol, mellygrunwelly and Tracie Marie like this
Patter, Mom to identical triplet girls in college
Asst. DT Coordinator for Blue Fern Studios

#3 MandyMae

MandyMae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationBetween the Mississippi and the Pacific :)

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:52 PM

Be yourself, and be consistent.  If they require three projects for submission, submit three things that are true to you and consistent.  Don't try to make everything vastly different because they are looking for YOU and if you give one vintage project, one graphic and one cutesty project, they won't know how you really are.

Persistence is also beneficial.  I tried for a regional chain three times before I made it.  Don't give up, but always seek to sharpen your skills while you're waiting to make it.

• Carol and Tracie Marie like this

#4 jenchapin

jenchapin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

Be consistent. I tried out for Bella Blvd twice before I got on, and Elle's Studio twice too!

Also I can't stress enough that you need to have excellent photos of your layouts and projects. They should be clear, bright and showcase the product. Good luck!

• Ruth and Carol like this

#5 BethQuiroz

BethQuiroz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:51 PM

Be consistent. I tried out for Bella Blvd twice before I got on, and Elle's Studio twice too!

Also I can't stress enough that you need to have excellent photos of your layouts and projects. They should be clear, bright and showcase the product. Good luck!

Jen - would you mind taking a look at my layouts in the gallery & check the quality of the photography? Thanks!!! :)  I think if you just click on my profile pic, it will bring up my profile which should have a link.

My blog: bethsblatherings.blogspot.com

Instagram:  http://instagram.com/divinemsq

Guest on PRT Episode #205: Cheesy At Heart

VENI VIDI VELCRO - I came, I saw, I stuck around

#6 MelissaE

MelissaE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:35 PM

When I am reviewing applications for new designers, here are some of the things I am considering and looking for:

. Clear and bright photos that are marketing ready. As projects are not shipped to a photographer, we expect designers to be able to produce clear and professional looking photos of their stuff. There have been some great tutorials by designers how they get those photos. I will have to link later when I am on my computer.

. Online presence is becoming more important as social media continues to dominate. I look to see how many blog followers and interaction they have, if they have Instagram, Facebook, etc.

. Designers are essentially part of the marketing team. They are the store front and are vital in showcasing to their group of followers our product so, I look for techniques and styles that will enhance the company.

All that to say, I agree, be yourself and true to your style. Don't give up. And don't lose sight of the JOY this hobby brings. I have seen so many get "design team hungry" and burn out. Pick one or two companies or communities you love, hang out and participate and apply until you make it.

And the hard part, try not to take it personally if you don't make it. Keep in mind there are many others applying and it is a delicate task of creating a well rounded team.

Good luck!
  • Carol, mellygrunwelly and Tracie Marie like this

My Blog: The Profound Brunette

Lead Contributing Artist: Inside Out Visual Journaling

#7 Janice

Janice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:05 PM

I've been on a few design teams over the years, but I would really like to work myself onto some of the even more well-known ones. I know that online presence is important, but so far I only use Google Analytics to measure my traffic (and that only proves it to me). I see bloggers using Google Friend Connect, bloglovin' and NetworkedBlogs; is that what we need to have to prove presence and interaction? I've noticed my blog comments have fallen off since I started posting my layouts to FB, so I don't know that blog commenting is a great way to show interaction. It's a bit muddled for me how I can prove my social footprint.

Thanks for any specific advice on this part of applying for DTs. :-)

• lgilvar and Tracie Marie like this

#8 MelissaE

MelissaE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:23 PM

Janice,

You are right. It is hard anymore to truly track "interaction" on a blog. I've found that on my own blog too. People will "like" my posts on Facebook but never leave comments. 

When I review blogs and online presence of potential design team members, I look at how many followers they have on their blogs and the social media outlets they are connected to. If they are on Instagram, I look at how many followers they have and the content they post. If they are on Pinterest, I look at followers and content, once again. The reason I look at content is because it is a good gauge of their audience. If they have a blog but only post about cooking, chances are their followers aren't really going to be interested (or maybe that will be!) in sudden posts about scrapbooking. 

I also stalk folks to see where they are posting projects... in galleries, manufacturer pages, etc. This gives me a good sense of their comfort level and desire to showcase what they create. 

All that to say, there have been times when I've been extremely interested in someone based on the quality of their work even though their online presence isn't very strong. (i.e. blog posting, posting to galleries, etc.) 

I've helped select designers for an online publication as well as the company I currently work for. Sometimes it's fun to bring on someone who may not be well known nor post as much but has something unique and fresh that we know our potential (and current) clientele may really like and latch onto. 

I've been on both ends of this crazy designing world. It's funny because I know exactly what I want but, that doesn't mean it's the same for every team and company.

I hope that helps!!! Hopefully some others can chime in! 

• StampingRooster, Ina, Janice and 1 other like this

#9 Janice

Janice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:54 PM

Thank you so much for your response, Melissa. I appreciate the pointers about what really matters when you're reviewing a candidate. I have tried to keep things simple on my blog, but it seems it's time for me to choose one of the friend connect-style plug-ins and start using my Pinterest account to better effect. I'm off to be more social! :-)

#10 Katie Scott

Katie Scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:18 AM

I think being able to photograph your projects well is an essential skill.

• MelissaE likes this

#11 Patter

Patter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationGlad to be back in the Carolinas

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:54 PM

I think being able to photograph your projects well is an essential skill.

Yes, most definitely. I forgot to mention that one but it's very important!

Patter, Mom to identical triplet girls in college
Asst. DT Coordinator for Blue Fern Studios

#12 Mindygail

Mindygail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:05 PM

great tips I have been scrapbooking for 14 years and have never even attempted getting published in any way! However. I would LOVE it of course! thanks Melissa!!

mindygail

• MelissaE likes this

Mindy Gail Mammen

#13 ConnieHanks

ConnieHanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:03 AM

Fantastic tips, ladies! Thank you! Making it on a DT is definitely a goal of mine, too :) 

• MelissaE likes this

Connie Hanks

Mommy, Wife, Photographer, Scrapbooker, Crafter and Volunteer-Extraordinaire who never outgrew seeing the world as colorful as a Crayola box!
Clicky Chick Creates  |  YouTube  |  Instagram 

cc2015-blog-hop-banner-copy1.jpg

#14 Carol

Carol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:42 AM

Fantastic tips, ladies! Thank you! Making it on a DT is definitely a goal of mine, too :)

Your blog is awesome!
  • ConnieHanks likes this
Read about my life here: http://carolynchastain.blogspot.com
Instagram: http://instagram.com/carolchastain05
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/cchastain374/
{Connect the Dots...Words+Photos}

#15 Sindi

Sindi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:03 PM

One thing that I'd suggest is that you don't count yourself out. I don't have near the experience that some of the other folks who already commented, but I have been on a couple of teams. When I made the Pretty Little Studio team, I was seriously shocked! I had assumed that I was too "new" and unknown and stood no chance. I almost didn't even apply. Imagine my shock when I just happened to check the PLS blog one day and see my name listed among the new team members!

The point I want to make is that there are companies willing to take a chance on a newbie. I imagine they are few and far between, but they exist. And besides, everyone has to start somewhere. Just don't count yourself out and keep trying. :)
  • Ina, Solange-Isbaha, MelissaE and 2 others like this

#16 ConnieHanks

ConnieHanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:59 PM

Your blog is awesome!

Thanks so much Carol! You made my heart smile :)

• Carol likes this

Connie Hanks

Mommy, Wife, Photographer, Scrapbooker, Crafter and Volunteer-Extraordinaire who never outgrew seeing the world as colorful as a Crayola box!

#17 heidi

heidi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:30 PM

. Online presence is becoming more important as social media continues to dominate. I look to see how many blog followers and interaction they have, if they have Instagram, Facebook, etc.

Melissa -- Is not having a blog something that would really put a person at a disadvantage?  

#18 MelissaE

MelissaE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:14 PM

Melissa -- Is not having a blog something that would really put a person at a disadvantage?  

Heidi it depends on the manufacturer or company. We (the company I work for) are trying to weigh in on all types of areas to reach people. The perk with blogs is that you can go in depth with your projects. (photos with step outs, descriptions in your own words, tutorials, link to video, etc.) Which, for us at Inside Out, is huge because our approach isn't just "scrapbooking".  

As far as I know, most companies ask that you have a blog that already has... or is ready to build up (has great content, etc.) a great following. In fact, I know of a couple that require you to do blog posts as part of your design team application.

• heidi likes this

#19 Mindygail

Mindygail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

thanks so much sindy!!! I will keep trying to get in somewhere!!!! I sent out a few requests for team membership on different sites maybey God will bless me ???

you never know!!

Mindy Gail Mammen

#20 ConnieHanks

ConnieHanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:14 PM

Another question about design teams: when looking at candidate blogs, is it a plus to have a multi-faceted blog (mine is mostly photography and crafting, with occasional recipes or DIY)? Or do most manufacturers/brands prefer DT members with blogs exclusively about scrapbooking / card making / crafting? Thanks in advance! 

Connie Hanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users