#41 SueTR

SueTR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA, USA

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:08 AM

I am in the "both" camp…I used to scrapbook/memory keep in chronological order and that was very frustrating so I stopped being "in order" a number of years ago and just scrapped stories/events/etc…but I kept feeling the pull of "chrono scrapping" and PL has satisfied that for me.  This is my 4th year and yes, I'm "behind" but I don't stress it and eventually I will get it all caught up.  I am a paper PL gal, but I use some digital elements (from Just Jaimee's storyteller) on my photos so I am toying with the idea of digital PL BUT then what would I do with all the "stuff of life"?  

I also do traditional and digital 12x12 layouts, not so many mini books…I still have not finished December Daily 2013 ;-)

#42 effie

effie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:08 AM

So I seem to have come full circle ... PL brought me back to 12x12 scrapbooking pages, and my pocketing scrapbooking took a back seat. But lately I've been dipping my toe back in (and buying ALL THE CARDS! LOL) but in a slightly modified way. What I'm trying out is doing roughly one 4x6 or 2 3x4 cards a day just including some journaling about what went on that day. So in my scrapbook I'll have some pocketed pages with embellished journaling cards (and some cool filler cards -- handmade or purchased as my creative whimsy takes me -- and mixed in with that will be my traditional pages for pictures with longer stories, or events with lots of pictures. 

I'm just feeling my way though this so that I can find a "system" that works for me and that I can keep up with and which includes more journaling of everyday things. Part of my struggle has been that I send my pictures out to be printed, so I have to find a way that accounts for the lag in getting pictures. Ideally I'd have a Selphy or something and print as I go, but that's not in the budget right now. But I did have an idea last night for a way to include a few pictures in my pocketed pages. I created an album on my phone for pictures that go along with my daily journaling -- ones that might not warrant a whole pocket devoted to them -- and when I have enough I'll get them printed at 2x2 and I can leave room/tuck them in later when I get a batch of pictures back from the developer. 

It's a work around, anyway! We'll see how it goes as I get more pockets in my scrapbooks :))

#43 geordie281

geordie281

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationAdelaide South Australia

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:02 PM

I do both, but doing PL actually revitalised my interest in traditional pages after a severe lull.

• dayb likes this

#44 Legomomof1

Legomomof1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:29 PM

Project Life is what brought me back to scrapbooking. I'm a digital scrapbooker now, and I find myself drawn to the PL digital templates for many layouts (not just day-to-day). I've been working on my son's school album PL-style and have mixed in some other layouts where there's a bit more of a story, including some 8.5x11 and 6x12 layouts.

Digital Scrapbooker & Digital Project Lifer

Instagram @legomomof1

Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/legomomof1/

#45 Julie Paradise

Julie Paradise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:53 AM

As many said before: Both. I do both PL and 12x12 spreads happily. 

I started "scrapbooking" (instead of only glueing fotos in albums without a "plan") when in Dec. 2013 I was done with catching up 7 years worth of fotos from may wedding and the firstborn on and was looking a nicer way to handle my fotos.

After 2-3 months of figuring out what I liked I settled into mixing PL spreads with different types of PageProts alternating with 12x12 LOs. For the years 2008/09, 2010/11, 2012/13 where I already had the fotos and memories in albums I decided to reprint the fotos as 2x2 or 2x3 and make some overview pages that go into the one 3-ring-binder I currently own. Starting with a beautiful LO about my wedding, overview pages from 2008-2013 I thus arrived in 2014 an do PL monthly since then, still mixing in 12x12 pages. I came to an average of 3-6 pages per months (i.e. 2-3 spreads), I always just try to complete a page when laying out my fotos in (more or less) chronological order.

The 3-ring-binder gives me enough flexibility to go back and file LOs with old fotos I want to highlight (I had 2 post-bound albums first, ugh, this drove me crazy, as you have to juggle your LOs out of the protectors instead of just moving the whole thing around. Grrr).

I do understand that after a while (several months/years) there will be a problem with sorting chronologically into multiple albums, but then I probably will not go back as often to fill gaps with dedicated LOs for older fotos.

I love the effect and surprise everyone expresses when flipping through this binder as every page is different.

And the first thing that attracted me to scrapbooking was PL, I kind of grew into LOs only along the way, taking challenges in another forum as inspiration to create 2 LOs per week.

#46 JohannaF

JohannaF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:07 AM

I do both in the same album. I scrapbook chronologic family albums. If I feel like making a layout I do and when I just want the pictures in my album I use pocket pages. I also use pocket pages for all the little stories that wouldn't make it to a layout. 
I don't do it week by week as many do with project life. I make as many (or few) pages I need to get my stories in. I do try to make a new month start with a new page, with a title card in the upper left corner. This has been great for me. I began making my albums like this last summer and now all of 2013 is done.
Before that I had been scrapbooking layouts since 2005 and the pile of photos just grew.

#47 Alissa@lifeonlakeland

Alissa@lifeonlakeland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:25 AM

I started Project Life in 2012 when I was expecting my second child and worried about how I'd find time to scrapbook (I also work full time outside the home). However, I also took 12 from Stacy Julian in 2012 at Big Picture Classes, and managed to find some time to scrapbook pages and was very inspired. I have gone back to do more layouts in the last year. First I was going through my old photos that had been waiting to be scrapped. Now every quarter I go through our photos and look for bigger stories to tell; or as I mentioned in a PRT comment I look back at our 2012 and 2013 PL albums to see what bigger themes emerge.

Oddly though since I purged/scrapped the older photos and keep up with Project Life and have finished a few album projects that I'd put off for years; I am now feeling at this strange place of "caught up" or current in my scrapping and don't feel like I have piles of photos that I don't know what to do with. It's very liberating and kinda strange. 

• Ina and TreesG like this

#48 TreesG

TreesG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:37 PM

I am venturing into doing both. I love techniquey, dimensional 12x12 layouts, having done a fabulous class on BigPictureClasses with Nic Howard a few years ago. However, these tend to take me several hours. I don't get much time to scrapbook so my photos have been building up. I am planning to get my old holiday snaps (translation: vacation snaps!) into albums quickly using PL page protectors, saving one or two photos if there is a more detailed story to tell which would suit a 12x12 layout. The PL kits seem too simple and graphic though, so I am thinking of having fun with some techniques and cutting the results into cards for the pockets which I can then decorate using the PL stamps and dies I have just treated myself to from Stampin' Up! The intention is that this is much quicker than my normal layouts, get more photos into albums more quickly, but still allowing me some creative play. I can't lose that!

I started a Tim Holtz technique class last year and am considering making cards for my pocket scrapbook pages instead of the usual tags. I can then tick that off my todo list at the same time!

Does anyone do something similar? Most people seem to be taking the simple, graphic approach from what I can see.

#49 April

April

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:39 AM

I do both.

#50 Joanne

Joanne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationJersey, Channel Islands

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:11 PM

I tried doing monthly pl but never kept up with it. I prefer to do what inspires me at the time so now I do pocket page and traditional layouts. This year I have done seasonal layouts to summariise little bits and pieces that I have been enjoying that past season but otherwise I am pretty much an event scrapper
  • April likes this

#51 dayb

dayb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 09 October 2014 - 03:47 PM

I do both. also. Mainly PL is for travel and the all photos I want to remember with traditional pages mixed in. My regular albums are just the opposite; traditional pages with a few PL. (btw I'm an empty nester, my non travel days are just not that exciting)

• April likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users