50 replies to this topic

#21 gingerblue

gingerblue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMarco Island, FL

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:50 PM

I switched to PL in January of 2014, got supplies (a nice stash of PL cards and some packs of page protectors) and did it for a while but then I found myself gravitating back to traditional layouts, but with the photos lined up in a PL-style grid on the page. Meaning: I print the photos as if they were going to be going into the pocket pages (3x4 or 4x6), but then just lay them out in a grid on a piece of cardstock or toned-down patterned paper. Then I lay the embellishments on top. I find that by not being bound by the little pockets, embellishments and titles and labels can stretch between photos and I can use the negative space for jotting journaling. I like working with the entire space of the page versus the little pockets. I know some people embellish over the top of the protectors, but I tried that once and just didn't like the way it looked. 

I keep thinking I should switch back to at least a little bit of PL pages here and there (I really do love the way the cards and the pockets look), but I'm having a lot of fun doing a mix of the two styles and I'm getting a TON of pages done, so I'm going to stick with it for now. The combination of the two styles (knowing exactly what sizes to print my photos plus being able to compose the embellishments over the ENTIRE page instead of being limited to a box) seems to be working for me- I don't think I have been this productive in my scrapbooking since I started ten years ago. 

• Ina likes this

chel in Marco Island, FL

http://gingerblue.com

#22 mariangeles

mariangeles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationValencia, Spain, Europe

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:49 AM

This year I'm into PL mainly since I'm not scrapping so much, but I'm using several kind of pocketed page protectors as well as regular LO whenever I feel like making one :D

You can see my PL pages HERE. I'm sooooo far behind but loving it :D

#23 lisa-beesa

lisa-beesa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:38 AM

I do both, but I don't have one method for choosing what photo gets a layout...it just depends on what I'm in the mood to make, if I think there's more of a story to the photo, or I just like it enough to have it be a feature.

What's weird is that I am a crazy Monica Gellar-ish type of organized person, but my scrapbooking is the one thing that I go loose with :D I keep thinking I'm going to tighten up on my method and actually plan things out, but I think it's better for me to just fly by the seat of my pants with creative stuff.

Lisa LeClair

Blogging (and everything else!) at: Blackbird Darlin'

#24 effie

effie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:06 PM

I came back to scrapping via PL, but now mostly do 12x12 pages. I just like playing with paper layers too much to go back to the pockets on a regular basis. But I was just having a major clearout of my back room, and I found a TON of older pictures. Now I'm thinking I might try and get them in some albums using the PL divided page protectors, or as someone up-thread said, stick them down on cardstock LIKE a PL page (maybe with photo corners), but having room for a bit of journaling and maybe some simple embellishments without needing the pockets. I have a feeling this would help me a) use up a bunch of cardstock, and B) solve that problem where I have a variety of landscape portrait photos that I want to put together but there isn't a pocket format that is useful!! 

#25 MelissainSC

MelissainSC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationGuess!

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:56 AM

I'll do both and toss it all into the same album. Whatever floats my boat at any given time. All of my albums are pretty random. What I really need to do is re-organize my older layouts and probably weed some out (there are a few assignment pages that I never really liked ever) and maybe put some pocket pages together for some older pics.

#26 NYC Scrapper

NYC Scrapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:15 AM

I do both.  I do a monthly PL double-page pocket-style layout for our everyday "little" stories. I do 12 x 12 layouts of the "bigger" stories and events.  I still use 8 1/2 x 11 for my children's school books.  My oldest "child" just graduated high school, so the way I document his college years will be different.  There won't be as many pictures.  My daughter just graduated middle school, so the way I do her school album will change too.

#27 scrappinpage

scrappinpage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationNorthern Wisconsin (BRRR...)

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:20 AM

I do both but they are mixed together in same album. I really am not doing PL...I just use the pocket pages to mix it up a bit. I use both 12x12 and 6x12 Pages.
  • Legomomof1 likes this
Wendy aka: scrappinpage

#28 cidcm001

cidcm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:18 PM

I only do PL... but for those stories that don't fit into day to day PL albums I put them into an album I made for my husband and I.  I still do it in PL style but it's for the childhood memories or this is me at 39 etc...

#29 beccaf1970

beccaf1970

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:51 AM

I do both but they are mixed together in same album. I really am not doing PL...I just use the pocket pages to mix it up a bit. I use both 12x12 and 6x12 Pages.

Ditto for me! I don't think I could manage a weekly PL spread...I use the pocket pages more as a way to add variety, or to include a lot of photos along with a traditional layout.

#30 Jermangirl

Jermangirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:47 AM

I'll do both and toss it all into the same album. Whatever floats my boat at any given time. All of my albums are pretty random. What I really need to do is re-organize my older layouts and probably weed some out (there are a few assignment pages that I never really liked ever) and maybe put some pocket pages together for some older pics.

I have totally weeded out older layouts and if was very liberating! And I also love love love using PL supplies to scrap older photos. I group the pics by theme and do as many pages as needed to tell the stories. I have done pages of pics of boys in certain age ranges, pages of places we've lived, pages of vacation photos and pages of holidays. I love the freedom of using PL this way :-)

#31 Jermangirl

Jermangirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:47 AM

I have totally weeded out older layouts and if was very liberating! And I also love love love using PL supplies to scrap older photos. I group the pics by theme and do as many pages as needed to tell the stories. I have done pages of pics of boys in certain age ranges, pages of places we've lived, pages of vacation photos and pages of holidays. I love the freedom of using PL this way :-)

#32 Delta scrapper

Delta scrapper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:29 AM

I do both. I started out with a PL album and continued with my traditional albums. However, now I seem to use PL pocket pages in my traditional albums more to pocket scrapbook. It makes getting an event story completed quicker for me. I also don't do PL everyday, and sometimes not even every week. So I am trying to decide I if I want to keep things separated or put PL ( everyday life) pages into my traditional-chronological-albums. While I don't scrapbook in chronological order, when I put things in albums I like to see things in chronological order.

#33 Kimnyy

Kimnyy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:58 PM

Up until this year I did both.  Like many of you said, PL for every day details and traditional for the stories and bigger events.  This year, I am going to try PL only and see how it goes.  Right now I am so far behind and when I do find a few minutes here and there, PL is just easier.  (I do things in batches so I can catch up easier and faster)

#34 createsfromscraps

createsfromscraps

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationValencia, CA

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:18 AM

I do both PL and 12x12 layouts for the most part.  My daily (or should I say regular) scrapbooking is PL and the 12x12 layouts come in only because I am taking classes at my LSS.  The classes help me get my bigger themed albums together (ie, the album about me, the pages about the things me and my boyfriend do together, etc).   I also have 2 albums that are solely 12x12:  my trip to Europe with my grandparents and my international summer camp when I was 11.  I started those off as 12x12 so they're going to stay 12x12 until they are all done.  I also have done a mini album for my Alaska cruise.  It was more of an experiment on whether I'd like doing them and whether I'd get it finished or not. 

• anandi likes this

#35 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:54 AM

PL was my "gateway drug" into scrapbooking.  I started in 2012, then did some mini albums, and finally got brave enough to attempt a "real" layout.  So I'd say PL is still my "first love" so everything goes in there for the year. 

When we do a family photo shoot (once or twice a year), I make collages of those photos on an 8.5x11 and put those into the PL album as well. 

My individual layouts with photos from that year also go into the PL album.

I'm trying *very* hard to keep to one big 12x12 album a year and maybe a mini book.   I love making mini books but they feel very cluttery to have them lying around.

#36 Miss Niki

Miss Niki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

I do not scrapbook in chronological order however, I place them in albums in that order. This can at times be challenging depending upon on the layout design and the number of photos. I am an event scrapper in the 12x12 format mostly school albums but am starting an album for the building of our home. (I scrap 8x11 and make mini albums about the individuals in my life. These albums are about their personality, likes, dislikes, loves, interests, birthdays, etc.) My 12x12 albums are a pocket style (but I don't call it PL) in a format that I fondly call "bookending". I create a traditional 12x12 page for the left side with title and overall focal point then create a pocketed layout which may be 8x11, or 6x12 or 8x8 just depends upon the photos I have available to be sandwiched by the other end (right side), another 12x12 traditional layout. This keeps the format consistent so that I can insert layouts into the album chronologically with ease!

#37 IAmMikki

IAmMikki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:44 PM

I do both. I'm a traditional scrapbooker, and I can't imagine it going away. Project Life is for my picture-a-day and it's nice for the big overwhelming stuff like vacations to feel like it's at least documented somewhere so if I never get around to documenting the whole thing then it's okay.

I do picture-a-day so that's what goes into Project Life. Project Life is where I put the photo of me getting a delivery on Sunday from Amazon and that it's pretty dang cool but not exactly worthy of an entire layout... although really I could do a layout about just about anything. The stories I tend to scrapbook first is the bigger stuff like a vacation or bigger event than the day-to-day routines.

#38 mariangeles

mariangeles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationValencia, Spain, Europe

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:44 AM

Since I'm soooooo behind in my PL and I really feel like scrapping, I've just sent some pics online to have them developed from stories I want to tell so I can make regular LOs that I'll insert into my PL album later on :D

It'll be a 2014 album so I'm really loving the mix :D 

This year I'm into PL mainly since I'm not scrapping so much, but I'm using several kind of pocketed page protectors as well as regular LO whenever I feel like making one :D

You can see my PL pages HERE. I'm sooooo far behind but loving it :D

#39 Scrappinchick

Scrappinchick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:05 PM

Although I have tried PL, I would consider myself more of a traditional scrapper.

I  use it for big projects, like my daughter's wedding, cause scrapping that many photos seems overwhelming.  If I have a vacation and a gazillion photos, I would do PL for that as well, but other than that, I will stick to traditional 12 x 12 pages.

#40 Travelsoul

Travelsoul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationOrange County California

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:06 PM

I will say that I am a project lifer who mixes in 2-4 12x12's layouts a month in my album. My PL is about the day-to-day and I'll make a 12x12 for special picture. For example, I keep my album in a monthly format, but if a special event happens I will use a whole page PL page to tell the sorry, and pick my favorite picture of the event for a 12x12.

I have several traditional 12x12 albums to work on but I haven't got the time so I just focus on PL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users