11 replies to this topic

#1 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:10 PM

So besides the obvious--paint, markers, pens, stamps, ink, etc.,.--what else do you use in your art journals? Do you use ephemera, images from magazines, pages from old books? What else?

I am fairly new to art journaling and exploring all my options.

#2 Scrapgurl

Scrapgurl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationNorthern British Columbia, Canada

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:15 PM

I use gesso for my thinner journals and when I want a different look for sprays.  I use Decoupage to glue things down, Mod Podge is too "wet".  I use old scrapbooking scraps and embellies that I just can't bear to part with.  I love using old sewing patterns for texture in my books.  Sometimes I use junk mail, magazine pictures, left over pictures from scrapping....  I hope this helps! :)

#3 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:05 PM

It does! Thank you. I was just thinking the other day of using patterned paper scraps. I'll keep my eye open for cools stuff in the junk mail. Goodness knows, I get plenty of it.  :D

#4 StampingRooster

StampingRooster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:54 PM

Stencils and stamps.

Gretchen

Now blogging and posting process videos

#5 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:26 PM

I also like to use various texture pastes.  Embossing paste, glass bead gel, and Viva decor has some really nice special effects pastes. I have the Graphite which looks like crushed hematite, and also have several of their Precious Metals effect pastes. I have not used, but have plans for some of the Fiber pastes and crackle paint. As a beginner you may be interested in Limor Webber's Mixed Media Creative Club which started this month. It's $10 a month and she will send videos each month going into great details about the properties and usage of mixed media products.  She also has several on-line classes for purchase specific to art journaling.

http://www.limorwebb...line-workshops/

• Melissa likes this

#6 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:04 PM

Hey, thanks for that link! I'll check it out. BTW, have you seen the new pastes and other color mediums from Bo Bunny? I'm thinking of trying the pastes, especially the copper glitter. Looks nifty.

#7 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:40 AM

I had no idea Bo Bunny had that type of product. I will definitely be looking into them, especially if there is glitter paste! :) 

• Melissa likes this

#8 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:09 AM

I had no idea Bo Bunny had that type of product. I will definitely be looking into them, especially if there is glitter paste! :)

I just bought some last week or so, I think, but I haven't had the time to try it out. I think it was May Flaum who demo'd it, but I don't recall for sure. Can't wait to see how it works. Maybe I can squeeze in some paper-crafting time today.

#9 JuliaK

JuliaK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationSweden- BorÃ¥s

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:14 PM

My journal is an old story book so I use allot of white paint. But stencils, stamps, fabric, papers, glitter (!), nail-polish and gold spray (I really should be out side when doing this....)

#10 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:59 AM

BoBunny is a great company. So glad to see them expand their product line. My closest lss about 50 mins away carries Bo Bunny, so I expect to see some of these products when I visit. Nice!

I own a number of mixed medium products but unfortunately don't seem to have time to do everything. When I was working in an art journal I used Inka Gold on one page and fell in love. The colours are gorgeous. The product is so easy to use and the finish is smooth as silk. So lovely! It dries well and needs no affixative.

I learned today that pan pastels has come out with glitter infused colours as well. A soft glitter and a coarse one. The white product was the one I saw demoed. I still need to practice using pan pastels. Not too sure about those yet.

#11 myscrapmenagerie

myscrapmenagerie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:55 PM

I save things like tissue paper from a pair of shoes (hushpuppies), newspaper looking sheets that you got with your food at Bubba Gumps, dictionary pages, etc.!

• Melissa likes this

#12 Liamum

Liamum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 06:00 AM

I save things like tissue paper from a pair of shoes (hushpuppies), newspaper looking sheets that you got with your food at Bubba Gumps, dictionary pages, etc.!

I love tissue paper too - it calms the background down while being translucent. 

I also love old sewing pattern paper it works in the same way, but has interesting images/text on it. You can find them in thrift stores. 

I also love Deco Art decopage glue. Many people LOVE the liqutex version, but I find it not sticky enough. 

• Melissa likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users