#1 mrscraftyadams

mrscraftyadams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationBristol, Tennessee

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:41 PM

I don't do digital, but am interested... but how do you organize your stuff?? I have downloaded a few printables from Studio Calico and I forget what they are until I open them!

• Patticlay likes this

#2 allerliebsteanika

allerliebsteanika

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:18 PM

i am organizing everything in picasa, it's a free software :)

• janygb143 and mrscraftyadams like this

#3 paperpilekitten

paperpilekitten

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:17 AM

I think a great way to organize is to use some kind of photo software, like Picasa mentioned above, Photoshop Elements or Adobe Bridge, where you can tag every item with color, collection, brand, pattern, etc. Makes it super easy to find what you're looking for.

I know that Melissa Shanhun who is a member of this forum @mshanhun has great info on this! Here's her web site: http://www.digitalscrapbookinghq.com/

• Patticlay, mshanhun and mrscraftyadams like this

/Margareta Carlsson

Big stash. Many ideas. Little time.

Want to keep up with me? Hop on the Best Scraps. :)

#4 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:02 PM

I keep my supplies organized by type (kits, paper packs, alpha packs, templates, quickpages, brushes, commercial use, etc), and then by designer within those folders. I also make use of my Mac's ability to customize the folder icons by replacing them with the kit previews. So, I can simply open my folder of kits and scroll through the folders in Cover Flow view to visually see my supplies. The other thing I do is resort all my kits so they all contains the same folder structure inside. The main kit folder is always named designername_kitname. Inside are folders named the same... papers, elements, quickpages, templates, alphas, etc.

I don't take time to tag or keyword my kits. I rely on a couple things for searching... the kit names and the filenames of the elements. So if I'm looking for something special, I'll type in a keyword and limit it to my supplies folder and see what comes up. As many kits as I have, I usually have a particular one in mind when I start searching. And, since I'm a kit scrapper, it works for me. Now that Macs can tag files directly in the OS, I could take the time to keyword my kit previews, but it's not something I really have the time or impetus to do.

However, for those who really do want to keyword and tag, I highly recommend tagging your previews. You can either enter the keywords in the metadata of the preview file. Or, use something like Lightroom to pull in the kit previews and simple tag the kit previews. It's a super quick way to get a basic library of kit previews.

• orbigail likes this

Wendyzine Scraps

Studio Wendy @ Scrapbookgraphics  •  Photoshop & Elements Instructor

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

#5 orbigail

orbigail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:30 PM

I also make use of my Mac's ability to customize the folder icons by replacing them with the kit previews. So, I can simply open my folder of kits and scroll through the folders in Cover Flow view to visually see my supplies.

I love this. What a great suggestion!

#6 CookingMyLife

CookingMyLife

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis MD

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:24 PM

I do what Wendy does by puttting the preview image on the folder image.  I seriously started using LR for organizing supplies when LR 5 started making .pngs visible. I DO tag; it takes a lot of time but I enjoy organizing and have so many supplies, it's a wonderful way of seeing things that I've forgotten about.

I too am on a Mac though I've not bothered to try to tagging files in the OS. Right now I expect to stick with LR.

Maureen

LR5 PSE10/11

iMac/Macbook/Mavericks

iPhone 4s is my only camera!

CookingMyLife

#7 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:47 PM

Thanks Margareta for the shout out.

I just unzip my files and use PSE Organizer to do the organising for me :) I tag paper by colour and a few other thinks. It's easier than you may think

I wrote a post about it at the Daily Digi here:
http://www.digitalsc...kinghq.com/tdd2
  • mrscraftyadams likes this

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#8 bestcee

bestcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 12 September 2014 - 08:56 AM

I use PSE Organizer. Melissa showed me the light! Lol. I love it because I can tag as desired or not tag as desired. If I have a specific page in mind when I buy the kit, I'll tag it with a word or phrase or picture date. I can delete tags, and it's so easy to search by them.
I also tag templates with the number of photo spots from 1-6 and 7+.

#9 MaryM

MaryM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:11 AM

I use the same system as Wendy and now that Macs have the ability to tag in the OS I have started to tag just my previews.  I don't think that I will go back and tag previously downloaded items though - not enough time in the day to add that to my to-do list!

Mary Moseley, Certified Photo Organizer and Teacher

mary@bephotowise.com

Be PhotoWise www.bephotowise.com | Founding member of the Save Your Photos Day Allicance

Guest on The Digi Show episode 110 talking about scanning your photos

#10 Izzy

Izzy

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 418 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:10 PM

There are a couple more apps that I think might be good for tracking and tagging these types of items. One is for the Mac, and it's called Ember. It's kind of like having a local Pinterest on your computer.

The other is more complex and sophisticated (I use it for video clips too), and it's called CatDV.

One of the great things about CatDV in particular is that you can see previews and track media files that are no longer attached to your computer. That way, if you're keeping items on external drives, you can still see what's on them even when they aren't attached.

Of course, I haven't used either one of these specifically for digital scrapbooking files, but I think they should work conceptually. Both have demos to try (I believe).

• janygb143 likes this

Do you have a suggestion or feedback about the Paperclipping Forums? Please let me know!

Instagram | User Guidelines

#11 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:15 PM

I use Picasa, too. I like gathering supplies into "Albums" for each page. I use the search function a TON. I'm slowly trying to rename my supplies with a suffix of what color things are (I scrap by color a lot), so I can someday search for all the blue things. Oh, there's also an experimental filter in Picasa that automatically detects colors and pulls up everything of a certain color! It's cool. Supply organizing is sadly at the bottom of my ever-growing to-do list...

#12 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 08:54 PM

Melissa! That is an awesome post!! I just used your tip about filtering 3600px to find the papers. I came up with 11,022. Just made my scrapbooking a LOT easier! Now, to find a filter for elements that don't already have filenames containing "button" "flower"… etc… ? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users