#1 mrscraftyadams

mrscraftyadams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationBristol, Tennessee

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:26 PM

So how far along is everyone this year in their PL? I've finished through Week 29. Last year I kept up on a weekly basis (with a couple of exceptions) but this year I haven't been "current" at any point.

I'm a bit conflicted about being "caught up". Part of me feels like I forget some of the details if I get too behind. The other part of me sort of likes doing PL in batches. Lately I've been printing pictures from the previous month or so and doing 3-4 weeks at a time. I often combine weeks into one spread and this makes it a lot easier to see which weeks could be put together.

Your thoughts? Do you like being caught up or a little behind?

• anandi likes this

#2 JuliaK

JuliaK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationSweden- BorÃ¥s

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:22 AM

I tend to sit down on monday/ tuseday and make the previews week. Now the last week I did was 33, so I think that counts as "caught up". But I also love doing allot of it at once! 

#3 Megan Anderson

Megan Anderson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:50 AM

I've decided I love the quality of photos at Persnickety Prints, so I batch order my photos at the end of the month to cut down on shipping costs. This means I'm always "behind"--but you wouldn't be able to tell from my pages!

I use my Instagram feed, blog posts, and calendar to get the details so I remember what was going on for my journaling. I'm sure when you're ready for a big catch-up session you can find some info on your social media to use!

• anandi likes this

#4 Julie Paradise

Julie Paradise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:00 PM

Doing it monthly makes it pretty easy for me to not "be behind".

-- I collect my pictures (and ephemera) over the course of a month,

-- make daily notes in my calender (I did keep a "notes journal" about the main activities of the day since my 12 birthday anyway, so this does help with my PL a lot),

-- then order prints and

-- spread them out to fit x full pages, not even spreads. That way I always have the freedom to have my PL according to what happened or what pics I have. I try to keep fotos of 1 event together and have it all more or less chronological, but shuffle random fotos (of a pretty flower or morning coffee etc.) around if I need (for the flow or because of colours).

This works for me since I started in January and never gave me any pressure, au contraire, I look forward every month to get new prints to play and do my PL and new LOs with last month's fotos.

It does take me 1-2 evenings though, but I enjoy those evenings enormously.

Maybe those of you who feel pressured with their PL (which ist kind of ridiculous, because PL was intended to be the solution to any "scrapbooking pressure" -- a concept that I do not get anyway) should try to do it monthly. It is probably harder to find 1-2 evenings a week for the PL of the last week than doing it every 4-5 weeks in about the same amount of time.

• ErinK likes this

#5 Teri H.

Teri H.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationLethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:36 PM

I think the key is to set up a routine that works for you. Every two weeks, I pick my photos and order them online (Costco) and so do two weeks at a time. While I take photos throughout the two weeks, I make a point to add a sticky note to the pockets they will most likely go in (this helps with ordering, as well). I pick up my pictures on a Monday, and usually sit down that evening and put it all together. Two weeks can be done in maybe an hour. 

• ErinK likes this

Loving the Literary Life

www.thestoryknows.com

#6 mrscraftyadams

mrscraftyadams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationBristol, Tennessee

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:45 PM

I really enjoy PL and don't feel pressure to keep "current", I was just curious what others thought. I enjoy the process but am finding that my creativity flows better when I have my pictures printed and do PL in batches.

Thanks for the suggestions about keeping notes... I do use the Momento app but I haven't been keeping super detailed notes in there!

• ErinK likes this

#7 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:42 PM

I don't believe in hobby guilt - I do this for fun!  

But it was kind of bumming me out that in June 2014 I hadn't finished PL 2013 or started 2014 though I fully intended to do both.  I had an all day crop and prepped a kit for each month of PL with the photos, ephemera, and products I wanted to use.  I didn't get "caught up" on 7 months of PL that day, but managed about 3 months, I think.  I also discovered that like the OP, I kind of enjoy doing it in batches.  (I do monthly for 2014.)

I like the print quality from Smugmug so I'm going to keep using them for the rest of this year and do 1-2 months at a time.  I use my social media, my Google calendar and my email to fish stuff out if I need more things to put in.  And I'm coming to terms with the idea that it doesn't have to be COMPLETE documentation of what we did - any documentation is great.  After doing PL since 2012, our day-to-day is mostly captured anyway so I'm not as worried about "forgetting" stuff.

Great discussion here :)

• mrscraftyadams likes this

#8 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:48 PM

I like to do it in batches (a month at a time), but I do know that I forget things I would like to remember, so I often want to get a started on the current month, too. Any day (month) now I'm going to give it a try, at least to some extent, and see what happens.

• mrscraftyadams likes this

#9 Alissa@lifeonlakeland

Alissa@lifeonlakeland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:05 AM

I have a pretty consistent process so I stay caught up. I generally edit photos during Sunday afternoon nap time and send them to costco where we go once a week to get milk and gas. That being said, I did get off track this August and have the entire month to put together.

• ErinK likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users