• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 MandyMae

MandyMae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationBetween the Mississippi and the Pacific :)

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

Beacon 3-in-1 Craft Glue - it sticks even with wet stuff, it's pretty amazing.

Thanks.  I have some of that - I really like it, but I hadn't tried it to reglue my inkpads.  

#22 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:19 AM

really the Prima ones?  I have them, they smear.... am I doing it wrong?

@Gwynn - I have no idea why, but with my clear stamps, like the ones from SC Kits and Kelly Purkey stamps, AND my roller date/phrase stamps, the Prima inks work GREAT.  They are definitely not as "crisp" as the Versafine black, but they work great and don't smear at all - in fact I think they dry really quick because I don't have to worry about laying the piece somewhere carefully to dry.  Maybe it's a weather/humidity thing where you are?  I have no idea :)

#23 Siri F

Siri F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationÃ…lesund, Norway

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:43 PM

I took an onlie class with Tim Holtz. He primed all his clear stamps using black Archival ink. He just covered them in ink and let it dry. Before stamping he "cleaned" them using a spritz of water and a tea towel. I've been doing that to all my clear stamps and it works like a charm. I've not needed any rubbing on arms or erasers or nail files or anything else. Every time I use the stamp I clean it with a baby wipe or with a spritz of water. If they get "unsticky" I place them in a bowl and use some mild soap and luke warm water.

The best stamping ink for sentiments is in my opinion Versafine. It gives a crisp, true black stamped image even on very detailed stamps, doesn't need reinking (in fact, they don't even make one) and you can use it with both water colors and markers (Copics). I want them all!

http://www.tsukineko...oduct_list&c=18
  • anandi, veramatson and Glinda - Razzled Scrapper like this
I don't mind fuzzy cutting, but don't get me started on watching glue dry!

#24 Highflo7

Highflo7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:36 PM

I've prime my new stamps before using by inking them up and stamping a few times on scrap paper and then cleaning with a baby wipe before stamping on my project.
I, also, agree that ppt he go to ink for sentiments is Versafine; love the crisp dark image every time.

#25 janpfh

janpfh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSunny Arizona

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:14 PM

Following Tim Holtz advice, when I use clear stamps the first time, I stamp on archival jet black ink and let it dry without cleaning. This gives a good "tooth" for the ink to stick to and you get a better image from that point on. No need to do this each time, just the first time. I also use a piece of foam board under my card when stamping. It has a little give to it without being so soft you pick up stray ink from the sides and edges.
  • Glinda - Razzled Scrapper likes this

#26 JuliaK

JuliaK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationSweden- BorÃ¥s

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:22 AM

I have some stamps that are harder to work with then others. You just have to get to know your stamps, than clear-stamps are generally harder. But with my "hard" clear stamps I tend to ink them up, wait so they "dry" and then ink them up again before stamping. his works really good for me. The ink really sticks to the stamp so he stamping will come out clearer.   :)

#27 veramatson

veramatson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:47 PM

I rub new stamps on my jeans, and that often helps with that 'new stamp' problem.  

If you are not getting a good impression, then maybe your table has too much 'give' to it.  Some tables are not firm enough and you may want to try to stamp on a more sturdy table.  Just a thought.

Also, you may want to experiment with different stamp pad/paper combinations.  Sometimes you just have to find the right combination to get the best results.

#28 libbyg

libbyg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:10 PM

I really like my clear stamps and the rubbing them with your hand really does work to get them "primed." I've never tried Versafine but when I'm just using black ink for sentiments, I really like Stazon. The only problem with this ink is you can't clean them with just water, you have to use the Stazon cleaner but it's pretty easy. I just keep a bottle on my table, dab it on the stamp when I'm done stamping and wipe it down.

The squishy surface trick hasn't ever worked for me but one thing I learned from watching Lisa Truesdale when she was a Garden Girl was once you put the stamp on your paper, "rock" it back and forth (without picking it up!) just a tad to get a good even image. I stamp on my self-healing mat as well.

I've just gotten into stamping in color and I really, really like Studio Calico's Color Theory inks. The colors are gorgeous and you can use them as water colors too ( ink up an acrylic block with a color and then use either a water pen or a traditional water brush to paint). I've gotten really good coverage with these inks; I think the only downside is they are so thin I think I'm going to have to rei-ink them a lot.

Stick with it Julee and keep playing. Stamping is a lot of fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users