27 replies to this topic

#1 Maribeth

Maribeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:24 AM

Hello, I hope someone here can help me.  I am new to stamping.  I am primarily using word/sentiment stamps for my cardmaking.  I can not seem to get a good solid black impression.  I am using Memento Black Tuxedo Ink, stamping on to basic white cardstock (most often the 8 1/2 x 11 Georgia Pacific brand).  I have re-inked my pad as I do think it was pretty dry.  I tap my pad to my clearstamp that is adhered to the Fisksars stamp press.  I am using a mouse pad for my "gooshy" surface to stamp on, but I actually get a better impression stamping right onto my self healing mat, but neither produce a solid "full bodied" stamped image.  They are okay but they just don't seem to POP as I would like them to.  

Any suggestions?

pa_v2_6101253526CF.gif

PeaNut 408,786
January 2009
Layouts: 101

#2 Scrappy Angel

Scrappy Angel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationBrampton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:31 AM

Is it a new stamp that you are using? Sometimes the stamps need to be seasoned by lightly rubbing with an eraser. However, there is something I do before stamping an image and it may sound a little strange. I was given this tip by a fellow stamper. Once your stamp is mounted to your block, rub the stamp on the top of your hand or the inside of your wrist/arm. The oils from your skin get transferred to your stamp and give the ink a great base to adhere to. It actually works really well. HTH.
  • libbyg likes this

#3 Maribeth

Maribeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:38 AM

Yes, all the stamps that I have been using are new.  I will try this and see if that does the trick.

Thank you so much.

pa_v2_6101253526CF.gif

PeaNut 408,786
January 2009

#4 MandyMae

MandyMae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationBetween the Mississippi and the Pacific :)

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:41 AM

I like black versafine ink.  It's the best black coverage I've found.  (But I'm certainly no expert).  Hope you can find some better results soon!  I know how frustrating it can be to not have something work like you want it.

• anandi likes this

#5 CindyP

CindyP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:53 AM

I agree with MandyMae that Versafine ink is great.

Another tip if you are having trouble with the ink beading up on your stamps, or poor coverage, is to ink the stamp first with Versamark (clear, sticky) ink, then your coloured ink.

Hope that helps!

Cindy

• Melissa likes this

#6 Maribeth

Maribeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:18 AM

another great tip, thank you all, can't wait till I get home and can try these out.  I have 200.00 birthday money to spend and really need sentiment stamps for my cards but don't want to invest if I can't get them working correctly.

Maribeth

pa_v2_6101253526CF.gif

PeaNut 408,786
January 2009

#7 MandyMae

MandyMae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:32 AM

I understand not wanting to make the investment until you know you can do it.  I think that's why I took so long to come around LOL.  I found some great simple sentiments at Simon Says Stamp that are affordable ($7/set) and give you a lot of freedom and ability to do variety.  It could just be that they fit my clean style, so I liked them, but here is a link.  http://www.simonsays...6&f15=473&sb=pa

1_126561_TH.JPG

1_296895_TH.JPG

1_296885_TH.JPG

1_110206_TH.JPG

There's more - these are just my favorites.  

• mrscraftyadams, anandi and CathG like this

#8 Maribeth

Maribeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:16 AM

MandyMae thanks so much for the stamp images.  Exactly what I am looking for, now if I can get a clean stamp image I know where to go to get some stamps.

pa_v2_6101253526CF.gif

PeaNut 408,786
January 2009

#9 Jessie

Jessie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:56 AM

Some people are horrified when I say this but clear or rubber stamp I always sand them with a very fine grit nail file, it improves the crispness of my image a ton on any stamp. Also if you are having an issue with a great impression, I stamp into one sheet of craft foam its thin enough that it doesn't give to much but seems to be just right. 

• Gypsy and veramatson like this

#10 MandyMae

MandyMae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:40 PM

I have quit using something "squishy" to stamp on, finding I do better (unless it's a super cheap stamp) to just work on my mat.  

Are you only using one ink pad?  Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you.  I have some ink pads that are just too dried out to stamp with.  And I've even bought a few off the shelf brand-new that were that way.  Don't know if it was just a manufacturing mess up, or if it had just been stuck on a shelf for a very long time.  

I have found that with the more solid area stamps, I do have to use a very fine sand paper on them sometimes.  I think I've also heard to use an eraser.  Don't usually have to do anything to stamps that are small.  

For me, it just came down to practice.  I also like to stamp on smaller pieces, not directly on a card I've been working on. If I stamp on a tag or something else, if it doesn't come out clean, I can chuck it and stamp another one - the card is not lost.  KWIM?

#11 Maribeth

Maribeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:30 PM

MandyMae - yes just one stamp, I do think it was dry when I bought it so I did purchase a re-inker.  I also am stamping on cardstock and then using die cut to cut out the sentiment.  So as yet I haven't ruined any work, its just that I can't get it to be really dark/vibrant as I would like it to be.  I will try some of the suggestions when I get home and hopefully that will be the solution.  So looking forward to using the stamps I have and getting some more.

pa_v2_6101253526CF.gif

PeaNut 408,786
January 2009

#12 MandyMae

MandyMae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:44 PM

I understand.  I hope something that was suggested will work for you!!

#13 GwynnAsbury

GwynnAsbury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationMountain View, CA

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:26 PM

Are you using red rubber, acrylic, or photopolymer stamps?  In my experience, acrylic stamps unless seasoned will cause ink to pool resulting in non vibrant and muddled images.  I also really like my Versafine pad.  I've had it for uncountless years never had to reink and when the ink pad fell out of the case, i glued it back in and it still is going strong!

• Patticlay likes this

#14 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:28 AM

+1 to Versafine.  And to using high quality stamps.  I also love the Prima chalk inks in those little blue containers.  (though not sure if they have black.)

#15 GwynnAsbury

GwynnAsbury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:19 PM

+1 to Versafine.  And to using high quality stamps.  I also love the Prima chalk inks in those little blue containers.  (though not sure if they have black.)

really the Prima ones?  I have them, they smear.... am I doing it wrong?

#16 MandyMae

MandyMae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:26 PM

Are you using red rubber, acrylic, or photopolymer stamps?  In my experience, acrylic stamps unless seasoned will cause ink to pool resulting in non vibrant and muddled images.  I also really like my Versafine pad.  I've had it for uncountless years never had to reink and when the ink pad fell out of the case, i glued it back in and it still is going strong!

What type of glue did you use?

I've had mine for probably three years as well, and have never reinked it.

#17 GwynnAsbury

GwynnAsbury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:26 PM

Beacon 3-in-1 Craft Glue - it sticks even with wet stuff, it's pretty amazing.

#18 scg2005

scg2005

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:02 PM

I recommend experimenting with different stamps and inks until you find what you like best. I find curvy fonts more forgiving when stamping sentiments. I settled on Memento Tuxedo Black as my go-to black ink, so that I can use it for sentiments and Copic coloring. 

• Solange-Isbaha likes this

#19 Gypsy

Gypsy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:58 AM

I'll back up Jessie- I also very lightly sand my new clear acrylic stamps and find it improves my image crispness as well.

Gypsy

My blog: See.Share.Remember

#20 Solange-Isbaha

Solange-Isbaha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:39 AM

I recommend experimenting with different stamps and inks until you find what you like best.

Some of my stamps are definitely better quality than others! Hero arts stamps (clear and wood) are very good, for example.

I noticed that too much cleaning doesn't help, and usually, I only use a microfiber wipe (and I wash it every so often).

I use different inks for differetn results: I like my mid-tones Hero arts for solid background (even if you need to wait several minutes to really see how beautiful the stamping is, because right after stamping, the stamp is like "pool", but it changes after), I love my grey/black/sepia versafine for sentiments or crisp images... It depends!

When I stamp a big background, I don't press the stamp onto the sheet, I let the inked stamp looking upside, and then, I apply carefully my sheet on it (and sometimes a paper scrap on the both if my paper sheet is small), and I gently press everywhere. I got better results like this.

I hope that helps! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users