#1 Teri H.

Teri H.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationLethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:03 PM

The most recent PRT ((Ep. 217) got me wondering about the other artistic pursuits of scrapbookers. Noell, you talked about dance and painting, and I would bet that other scrapbookers have other artistic endeavours as well. I'd be interested in knowing how their other creative/artistic endeavours informs or inspires their scrapbooking and vice versa.

• Melissa likes this

Loving the Literary Life

www.thestoryknows.com

#2 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:07 AM

I'm always interested in this, too -- in every pursuit. I was just reading about a scientist who is dyslexic and spent her life, including much of her college time, as an artist before she decided to go into biology. I was fascinated by the fact that when she wanted models for the sea life she was studying, she took a ceramics class so she could make models herself, while everyone else in the class were making bowls and pottery.

• janygb143 and anandi like this

#3 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:30 PM

Haha My mom wanted to be an artist, but her dad convinced her to use her creativity to go into dentistry (back then they had to carve models of teeth out of blocks of wax). She did, met my dad in dental school, and then when I was in high school, they convinced ME to go into dentistry. I was studying for my Board exam and wanted to draw digital diagrams to share with my classmates, which is how I discovered digital scrapbooking... Art inspires life inspires art! Full circle, right? ;)
  • Noell, Melissa, mshanhun and 2 others like this

#4 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:48 AM

Wow Janygb143! That is so cool!

I was a dancer, am a music lover and came from a camera-toting family who loved the outdoors and having parties! Put all those together and memory keeping flows forth. Turn on the tunes, dance around the room, put photos on pretty papers and write stories. Does it get any better?

I'd love to draw. Especially flora and fauna. I'm not sure yet what holds me back. I've started with Zentangles to get comfortable with a pencil/pen in my hand. Trying to get lost in free flowing feelings.
  • janygb143 and Melissa like this

#5 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:00 AM

I've always been interested in writing and telling stories, as well as photography. And I've always loved working with colors, especially coordinating colors. All of those interests intersect perfectly with scrapbooking. Great idea for a topic!

• janygb143 likes this

#6 StampingRooster

StampingRooster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:36 AM

Scrapbooking and photography go hand in hand for me. I started scrapbooking because I had photos I wanted to put into albums, then scrapbooking pushed me to take better photos. The third leg of the tripod is travel. I have to get out and explore the world and see beautiful things, photograph them, and then scrapbook them.

I also knit. I can only scrapbook at home or at a crop, but knitting I can carry with me. It's a great way to satisfy my craving for color and texture, and my inability to sit still. 

And now its art journaling ... there's just not enough time.

• janygb143 and Melissa like this

Gretchen

Now blogging and posting process videos

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:17 PM

I have always loved photography as both an art form and a memory-keeping tool. I was the one with camera in tow all through high school and college, long before today's cameras on phones. I kept a journal from 4th grade through college, and I've always kept memorabilia from various events in my life. I even kept all my assignment books from high school and college. Clearly I was trying to document and record my life, but just didn't have a way to do it like I do now. 

Now scrapbooking takes up most of my creative time. I also crochet and occasionally make cards or altered art. And, particularly when I'm traveling, I work on improving my photography skills.

• janygb143 and anandi like this

#8 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:34 PM

Oh how cool Mia Scraps - I was planning to go into botanic art, but realised there just wasn't a big job market and you'd end up selling your art for people's kitchens. And that fad was going out of fashion.

I do some sewing, crosstitch and watercolours but haven't been doing as much as I truly just love scrapping. I also danced as an adult and child and play piano and sing. Anything creative I really enjoy :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#9 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:35 PM

Before I discovered scrapbooking, I made jewelry and had a pretty successful Etsy shop. I kept finding myself drawn to buying papercrafting supplies and had to make a rule that I wasn't allowed to collect them :)  Then I decided it might be ok to buy a few to finish my daughter's baby book, and it was all over ;)

However, as a kid, I wasn't good at or interested in art at all. It's funny how creative pursuits eventually found me even though I kept telling myself I wasn't any good at those things :D

• Laura, mshanhun and Alissa@lifeonlakeland like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users