• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 rlg510

rlg510

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:45 AM

I have been scrapbooking for a while and have so much in my stash already that the only thing I purchased were the pocket page protectors and some albums.  I came up with my own method for making a "kit" using double-sided paper (therefore well coordinated).  I don't foresee purchasing kit or subscribing to a kit club any time soon.

I'm curious, how many others are using your own stash instead of buying kits for your Project Life?

• janygb143, Melissa, Julie Paradise and 1 other like this

#2 allerliebsteanika

allerliebsteanika

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:17 AM

I'm using my stash in addition to the cards. I started without any cards, but now I have probably more than I will ever use and still cut paper now & then to fit in the pocket.

• rlg510 likes this

#3 Carol

Carol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:23 AM

When I started all I had was pg protectors and used my mass collection of patterned paper. but now I have added cards and subscribe to studio calico.
  • rlg510 likes this
Read about my life here: http://carolynchastain.blogspot.com
Instagram: http://instagram.com/carolchastain05
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/cchastain374/
{Connect the Dots...Words+Photos}

#4 Robin Sparkles

Robin Sparkles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationManito, IL

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:38 AM

I've used only my stash for the past 2 years. Never bought a kit. I have purchased some cut files but besides the plastics and albums that's about it. :D

• gabmc, Scrapnsee and rlg510 like this

#5 aurorwillow

aurorwillow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:53 AM

This year I've been using the Maggie Holmes mini kit exclusively. Next year however I really want to pull from my own supplies to make my own cards. The main reason being that those rounded corners are really bugging me. 

• Tiffany W and gabmc like this

#6 Julie Paradise

Julie Paradise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:52 AM

Being a dumb*** sometimes I did spend (not too much money, fortunately) on buying actual PL-supplies

only

to

find

out

that I prefer using my stash. As mentioned before, those lovely doublesided PP to me, too, often seem much calmer and fitting better together than a collection of cards.

So what, now I use my stash and do other things with my 2 core kits, like using the little cards for sweet notes, on layouts, print calenders on the big 6x4 cards (print calender pages on 1 side, glue a photo to the other side, tape them all together on the spine, punch a hole for hanging) -- a nice little gift everyone enjoyed so far, etc. in the end it will get used, so I do not worry too much.

• rlg510 likes this

#7 Patter

Patter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationGlad to be back in the Carolinas

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:00 AM

I do make some of my own cards with copies of my own art journaling pages. For the cards where I want to put journaling, I add a white piece of cardstock to the top of the card with edges of the art journaling card showing underneath. Love doing this.

Patters3x4CardsA.jpg

• vintageplaid, gabmc, Dragonfly and 8 others like this
Patter, Mom to identical triplet girls in college
Asst. DT Coordinator for Blue Fern Studios

#8 rlg510

rlg510

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:16 AM

I do make some of my own cards with copies of my own art journaling pages. For the cards where I want to put journaling, I add a white piece of cardstock to the top of the card with edges of the art journaling card showing underneath.

Wow! Those are beautiful. I hope to give art journaling like that a try one day soon. Thanks for sharing.
  • TreesG likes this

#9 JuliaK

JuliaK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationSweden- BorÃ¥s

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:58 AM

I did start my PL project with the Maggie Holmes core kit but found, as many others, that I love using my "own" stuff and making my own kits from 6x6 pads. (did a blog post about it: http://juliakallen.b...n-mini-kit.html )

I do use the core kit but not as much as I had thought in the beginning. 

• allerliebsteanika and rlg510 like this

#10 rlg510

rlg510

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:08 AM

I did start my PL project with the Maggie Holmes core kit but found, as many others, that I love using my "own" stuff and making my own kits from 6x6 pads. (did a blog post about it: http://juliakallen.b...n-mini-kit.html )

I do use the core kit but not as much as I had thought in the beginning. 

Love your kit.  I have found those 2x6 strips are great borders, especially when run through a boarder punch.  Or they can be punched to make other embellishments like banners, circles, hearts....

• allerliebsteanika likes this

#11 mariangeles

mariangeles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationValencia, Spain, Europe

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:48 AM

It's my first year doing PL. I decided to do it because I have sooooooooo many divided page protectors.

I haven't bought anything new for this project :D That doesn't mean I haven't bought anything... hahaha

#12 Patter

Patter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationGlad to be back in the Carolinas

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:57 AM

Wow! Those are beautiful. I hope to give art journaling like that a try one day soon. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you! :) You should try it. It is SO fun. I used to be a perfectionist, and this has truly helped tame that!!!!

• rlg510 likes this
Patter, Mom to identical triplet girls in college
Asst. DT Coordinator for Blue Fern Studios

#13 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:34 PM

Being a dumb*** sometimes I did spend (not too much money, fortunately) on buying actual PL-supplies

only

to

find

out

that I prefer using my stash. As mentioned before, those lovely doublesided PP to me, too, often seem much calmer and fitting better together than a collection of cards.

While I use a lot of PL product, I have found the same thing -- that many of them are too loud and busy for me, especially in the pocket format, ironically. That's why I've moved to using just neutrals with a single color, and I add in some of my PP. I've been meaning to really go through my papers, pick a bunch to die cut into PL shaped cards, and then organize every card by color.

• gabmc, Scrapnsee and Julie Paradise like this

#14 Scrappin.Char

Scrappin.Char

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:08 AM

I did my entire 2012 photo a day PL in October Afternoon sidewalk. I made all the cards, etc ahead of time. And then used the leftover pPer and embellies for dress it up. I loved how it turned out.
  • Scrapnsee, rlg510 and Julie Paradise like this

#15 Julie Paradise

Julie Paradise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:06 AM

I did my entire 2012 photo a day PL in October Afternoon sidewalk. I made all the cards, etc ahead of time. And then used the leftover pPer and embellies for dress it up. I loved how it turned out.

Ooooh, this sounds great! I just lovelovelove all of October Afternoon's collections, so you just hooked me on the idea to spend some of my birthday money on OA papers and prepare cards for my next PL album. Thanks!

• AmandaF likes this

#16 AmandaF

AmandaF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:25 PM

I subscribe to Studio Calico and have a beautiful shelf lined with unused kits. I have not been a very motivated scrapper lately. I have a crop and a retreat coming up soon so hopefully planning and packing will inspire me to get back into it!

#17 gabmc

gabmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:17 PM

Wow Patter, your cards are stunning!

Gab

#18 gabmc

gabmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:19 PM

I love what Noell does (if you sign up for True Scrap 6 you get a bonus video from Noell with her PL strategy)

Gab

#19 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:12 AM

I did my monthly PL in 2012 with just grid cards as a base, and added cute embellishments and paper scraps from my stash. I chose a different color for every month, so each month I gathered a "kit" in a Ziploc bag. The nice thing about doing monthly is that you can really stretch supplies!

This year, I had to ask Secret Santa for something (family tradition), so I asked for the Honey Core Kit. It's nice to have since I had a new baby this year and then I don't have to worry about decorating things, but I do miss digging into the stash every month. Not sure what I'm going to do next year! I have a TON of that core kit left!

#20 Julie Paradise

Julie Paradise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:27 PM

In the last two months since I finally got around buying a smartphone that can take usable pictures I have come to love Instagram.

So my PL for July and August was almost only 4x4 fotos and since it still is quite difficult to find this size covered sufficiently in a set of journaling cards I look forward to this month again to making my own cards. A 12x12 last for about 2 pages when I cut it into 4x4 cards and mix with fotos in every other pocket so a nice side effect is that the spreads look fairly cohesive.

Usually I "surround" the PL spreads of a month by full 12x12 of my favourite fotos from around that time to show some of them bigger and add more journaling, so it makes even more sense to use my stash and bridge the layouts and the pocket pages.

• janygb143 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: project life, PL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users