#1 Ina

Ina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Locationsouthern California

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:12 AM

I'm brand new to stamping (and paper scrapping in general). I only have 2 inks so far, a black and a gold. What colors do you recommend for a basic starter set? I'm thinking I might like a white ink pad, any good opaque ones out there? Also, why are some ink pads smaller and shaped like a teardrop, any advantage to those?

#2 Karin

Karin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:40 AM

Choosing inks isn't easy, it's not just to get the right color, you need to use the right type of inkpad for what you want to do with it. I don't know if Noell has any videos on it but I know Jennifer McGuire have videos where she describes the properities of different inkpads. I will try to find some for you.

The teardrop shaped (or cat eyed) are easy if you want to use the ink pad to ink the edges of your papers and to use for some direct to paper techniques.

• vintageplaid, Solange-Isbaha, Carol and 1 other like this

/Karin - ScrappaNu

#3 Karin

Karin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:49 AM

Here is one at least, I think she have more of them - Video + Ink Comparison.

I did a description a long time ago on different types of ink but that is in Swedish, perhaps Google Translate will let you get something out of it.

The rows in my comparison picture are (click on the image to bring it up full size):

stamped; embossed; painted over with water after drying for several hours; painted over with Promarker blender after drying for several hours; painted over with water after heat set; painted over with Promarker blender after heat set.

Translated with Google translate!!!

"There are a variety of different types of stamp pads so it can be difficult to know which type of pad that is good for what, this is an attempt to describe a few different varieties.

The color of the stamp pads can be either pigment or dye (dye).

Cushions with pigment color can be recognized that the pad is a soft foam cushion that man through careless handling can squeeze out the paint from the sides if you take in too much of a big stamp. The color of the pigment pads remains on paper when one dies and takes longer to dry, they can sometimes require heat to dry. Cushions with pigment color is normally wide and works well with embossing powder.

Cushions colored with dye is hard pads with a tygaktigt layer on top. The paint is sucked up into the paper when it dies and dries normally very fast. Cushions with dye covers slightly worse than pads with pigment dye and does not work so well with embossing powder.

The stamp color can be water-based or solvent-based and it determines whether it is possible to stamp on glossy surfaces (plastic / glass / metal / shiny paper).

Brilliance works to stamp on glossy surfaces (photo, vellum).

Fluid Chalk is a middle ground, they have foam rubber cushions but dries very quickly.

Distress ink is also a hybrid, solid cushion but dries slowly.

Tools (ink pads)

I have tried to stamp the black cushions I had at home and managed to my surprise use all the pads to emboss with, probably because I filled in all the pads the day before I stamped so I could get as good a comparison as possible and that I was very quick to pour on embossingpulvret. The paper is the album leaf from Clas Ohlsson.

I did not really sticky, slow-drying pigment pad, Brilliancedynan is quick drying to be a pigment pad.

I tried to paint over all variants with water brush and ProMarker blender when the Stamp dried for a few hours and additionally after I warmed a game pad printing with hot air gun because some ink pads will become permanent when you heat them but there was not any difference.

The pads I tested is

Brilliance Graphite Black (pigment, Tsukineko)
    Memento Tuxedo Black (dye, Tsukineko)
    StazOn Jet Black (dye, Tsukineko, solvent based)
    Distress Ink Black Soot (dye, Ranger)
    Chalk fluid Blackbird (Clearsnap)

The best (most consistent / darkest) pressure became with StazOn and Fluid Chalk."

• Ina, Scrappy Angel, ladywing and 1 other like this

/Karin - ScrappaNu

#4 Karin

Karin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:56 AM

I found another one from Jennifer - Inks.

/Karin - ScrappaNu

#5 Solange-Isbaha

Solange-Isbaha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:24 AM

What do you want to do with your inks?

If you want do techniques, try Distress inks, they also come in small square pads, nice to start. You won't get a crisp image, but I still like the look and they are probably the most versatile (inking edges, making backgrounds, tons of techniques, and of course stamping).

If you want to stamp sentiment for cards, or words stamps, black versafine (or sepia one) is my favorite, because they give a very crisp image. You can get them in small (and cheaper) ink pad too. The grey one is really great too.

For the white, I think there is nothing better than white embossing, but if not, I like the versamagic one (small pad).

For the colored ones, this is where you can try several brands (small pads if possible) to see which ones you prefer. When I started, I got the primary colors, but I think this is better to take a look at your scrapbooks (or if you started too recently to have a lots of scrapbooks, take a look to your Pinterest boards with your favorite layouts pinned, for example, here is the board where I pin layouts I love : http://www.pinterest.../layouts-ideas/ ) and see which colors you might use the most (I love teal!).

Oh, and as you said that you have started scrapbooking recently, you may be interested by this blog I've just discovered thanks to this forum: tons of informations for newbies but also the others! http://scrapbookwond...com/start-here/

:)

• Karin, Ina and CindyP like this

#6 Solange-Isbaha

Solange-Isbaha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:30 AM

And Karin is right: nothing better than Jennifer McGuire for learning everything about ink! :wub:

• ladywing and mrscraftyadams like this

#7 MandyMae

MandyMae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationBetween the Mississippi and the Pacific :)

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:04 AM

JM is my craft hero!  LOL

I've never had patience for stamping, but after wanting to expand my variety of crafts, after 8 years of scrapping, I took up cardmaking.  I've been slowly expanding my ink collections, because I can't buy 50 in one month!  LOL.......I've already watched all these JM videos (she was my motivation to expand my horizons).  When I was scrapping, I always liked the pigment and hated the dye inks.  But since I've been doing things like heat embossing and such, I have definitely found the reason for dye inks!  LOL.....I have some distress inks, but I really don't care to do the techniques that they are best for.  They are the only ink I can get locally, so I have mostly those.  

I have been searching for the best prices of both inks and cardstock, and I kind of want to pick one company to invest in inks that I also like their cardstock.  I have used papertrey ink cardstock and love it, and their cardstock is by far the best priced.  But I've never used their ink.  Has anyone else?  Did you like it?

#8 GwynnAsbury

GwynnAsbury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationMountain View, CA

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:31 AM

I'm brand new to stamping (and paper scrapping in general). I only have 2 inks so far, a black and a gold. What colors do you recommend for a basic starter set? I'm thinking I might like a white ink pad, any good opaque ones out there? Also, why are some ink pads smaller and shaped like a teardrop, any advantage to those?

Ina - Welcome to the world!  It is a lot of fun, super addicting, and as you can tell complicated!  Here are my suggestions - the teardrops and smaller ink pads are great for as someone said inking the edges of your paper - they are also WONDERFUL for testing the waters of the different types of inks before making a large investment....
For a start kit, I would suggest getting 1-2 ink pads in each of the different types - chalk, alcohol, die, etc so that you can learn how to work with them and if you like them.  In addition to that, I would reccommend getting a Memento Tuxedo Black ink pad int he full size - this will become your standard.

• Ina likes this

#9 Bookworm

Bookworm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:54 AM

If you are primarily going to stamp images onto layouts, I recommend Ranger Archival inks. It's permanent ink that gives you a really crisp stamped image. My Jet Black archival is the one pad I'd take to a desert island if I could only take one.  :) I don't find much variety of colors in that brand in big box stores, but they're easier to find online. ~ Laura 

• chelsea499 and Scrappy Angel like this

#10 Scrappy Angel

Scrappy Angel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationBrampton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:10 AM

I agree that this is a complicated discussion. However, some shades of brown would likely be useful as well. When I first started stamping I got a few dye ink pads to try them out. I also agree that the ranger archival inks are great. M's usually has a few colours of this ink. Good luck and just have fun.

#11 Ina

Ina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:11 AM

Wow! Thanks for a lot of great information! I am checking out the websites you have linked to. I have Memento Tuxedo Black as my black ink, looks like I lucked out in what I picked out (having no idea on the types of inks) at Michael's! The other ink I have is Brilliance Galaxy Gold.

I will be mostly using them in Project Life, both on cards and on photos, although I haven't experimented with stamping on photos yet. 

• Solange-Isbaha likes this

#12 MandyMae

MandyMae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationBetween the Mississippi and the Pacific :)

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:53 AM

After I posted previously I had another thought.  I'd recommend a grey pad of some brand.  (I don't yet have a preferred brand).  I have been using grey a lot for my sentiments because it's not quite as harsh as black.  I find grey is a great alternative.  I'm also ordering a navy pad for another alternative to black.

• CindyP, Solange-Isbaha, anandi and 1 other like this

#13 GwynnAsbury

GwynnAsbury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationMountain View, CA

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:26 AM

Wow! Thanks for a lot of great information! I am checking out the websites you have linked to. I have Memento Tuxedo Black as my black ink, looks like I lucked out in what I picked out (having no idea on the types of inks) at Michael's! The other ink I have is Brilliance Galaxy Gold.

I will be mostly using them in Project Life, both on cards and on photos, although I haven't experimented with stamping on photos yet. 

You can use the Memento Ink to stamp on photos.  For stamping on photos, stazon (which is alcohol based) is often recommended.

#14 Ina

Ina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:26 PM

After I posted previously I had another thought.  I'd recommend a grey pad of some brand.  (I don't yet have a preferred brand).  I have been using grey a lot for my sentiments because it's not quite as harsh as black.  I find grey is a great alternative.  I'm also ordering a navy pad for another alternative to black.

Oh gray is a good idea. So is navy. Adding those to my list of colors to buy, plus white. I'm thinking of yellow, aqua, and pink to add a bit of color.

#15 StampingRooster

StampingRooster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:43 PM

My go to for stamped images is a dark grey. I also have a light grey for detailed images that I'm going to paint in. And I like having a dark brown as well.

• Glinda - Razzled Scrapper likes this

Gretchen

Now blogging and posting process videos

#16 vintageplaid

vintageplaid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:27 PM

I really like Hero Arts Shadow Inks for gray and navy.  Other colors, too, but those two are great.  And yes, they are good colors to add to the neutrals.  For browns, I like the Ranger Archival inks by Wendy Vecchi.  (Pronounced "Vekki" according to her demos).   In fact I like all the colors in her line, around 10, I think, but don't have all of them.

~barbara~ B)

#17 angelBev

angelBev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:25 PM

start with neutrals...black, brown, grey...then what is your favorite color?? You'll want that in a dark enough color to show when you stamp it.  From there go to complementary colors and just start branching out. I'd stick with the smallest pads til you understand the differences in ink types and get to know what you really like! That's when you can splurge on a larger reinkable pad. 

#18 VexedAngel

VexedAngel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:29 PM

If you're just wantin to do basic stamping, I would recommend picking up a set of colorbox pigment inks in a rainbow set. They make a little, stackable set of a whole bunch of inks. You take out the inkpad you want to use, Smush it evenly and gently onto the stamp, then stamp. Pigment inks will have rich color (they will take a bit to dry) and you can advance to heat embossing with clear powder without buying new inks. You'll get a ton of colors and can start experimenting/playing for much cheaper than with pretty much anything else. Then you can see if stamping is right for you and decide which inks to try next. I'll try to find a link. I bought my sets at big box stores with a coupon.
  • VexedAngel likes this

#19 VexedAngel

VexedAngel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:32 PM

Here. $17 and then use a coupon so you get all these colors for about $10.

http://shop.hobbylob...ink-pad-654111/

#20 Ina

Ina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:14 PM

Thanks! I saw that pad but didn't realize you could separate out the different colors. I thought it was for rainbow stamping. :lol:
  • mrscraftyadams and anandi like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users