Photo

Do you make cards on an as needed basis or do you mass produce?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Travelsoul

Travelsoul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationOrange County California

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:08 AM

I find myself making cards at the last minute. I've tried mass producing birthday and thank you cards but I don't use them. I pull them out and then think what I have isn't unique enough for the recipient. Then I frantically make something just for them.

Do you do the same thing!?
  • The Other Caroline, janygb143, ronaba and 1 other like this

#2 Inkfanatic

Inkfanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:25 AM

Pretty much, lol. I can't say I've 'mass' produced (except for dt work, but I never get those back, so they are piled up somewhere i guess, lol).
I have made extras though, to have on hand. But I feel as you, that they don't fit the recipient well. So now I just tend to make them as I need them.

Robin

#3 simkim704

simkim704

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:41 AM

I am still at the point where it seems to take me so long to make a card, mainly the planning part I guess, so I  make at least 5 0r 6  Birthday cards to have on hand a month. I am like you though I am always trying to make each one unique and I know that can be part of the time problem as well.  I definitely need to try and mass produce some.

• Dragonfly likes this

#4 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:11 AM

I tend to make cards as needed at the last minute. I've been telling myself since January I'm going to start making my christmas cards ahead of time this year. Of course, I say that every year!

#5 MandyMae

MandyMae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationBetween the Mississippi and the Pacific :)

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:47 PM

I do both.  I keep thank you cards on hand.  

For birthdays, I usually make them specific to the person (although I do keep some on hand as well).  But because design is the hardest part for me, I usually design whatever card I make and then make 6 to 10 more for OWH.

• Inkfanatic likes this

#6 LizzieB

LizzieB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:41 PM

I do both also.  I like to make special cards for special friends and family, but at Christmas I mass produce and sometimes when I find a creation I especially like I'll make 4 or 5 at one time to keep on hand.

• JoanieBaloney likes this

Eliz :rolleyes:

#7 The Other Caroline

The Other Caroline

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationMy Scrap Room

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:25 PM

For Christmas cards, I sit down and make tons at a time over several days, assembly-line style. For everything else I tend to make cards as I need them. Sometimes I use Anna Griffin kits, which I tend to make up all at once. But they don't always have the perfect thing I want, so I wind up making a custom design.

Caroline, Formerly "Purple Sparkles"

#8 ronaba

ronaba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:03 AM

I find myself making cards at the last minute. I've tried mass producing birthday and thank you cards but I don't use them. I pull them out and then think what I have isn't unique enough for the recipient. Then I frantically make something just for them.

Do you do the same thing!?

That is totally me!! I'm also the one trying not to smudge anything as I run out the door!

• Travelsoul likes this

#9 cards4ever

cards4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:51 PM

Mostly, I make cards as I need them. Even though I have photo boxes full of already made ones but I am keeping those to sale. At least that is what I keep trying to do. LOL

Mandi

My blog is called Kraze of MJ 

I design for Scrapbook Challenges, Child's Play Challenges and Simple Sketches

#10 Abbybearsmom

Abbybearsmom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:02 AM

Sorry-I'm hijacking the thread for a good cause. :)

I mass produce cards for Forgotten Soldiers Outreach

Forgotten Soldiers is a non profit organization that:

1. Ships care packages filled with donated items and letters to USA active military men and women serving overseas. The mission is to reach those who don't receive anything from the home front by sending them that little bit of home to make sure they are not forgotten. 
2. Has over 100 volunteers who assemble the care packages 
3. or volunteer at the thrift store. The funds raised at the thrift store purchase shipping items/postage for the care packages. 

4. Has a voucher program to help vets and their immediate family acquire items to set up their household. 

I love this organization. I've seen the work the employees and volunteers do on a daily basis.  Their voucher program has helped many, many vets get back on their feet. Seeing the smiles on a a vet and his family is priceless.

It's also sad to see what war has done to the vets. One vet and his family, including a 3 week old baby were homeless. They lived underneath the bridge of the interstate. Somehow a social worker for the VA happen to see them. The social worker's gut instinct told him the family was a veteran military family. The social worker helped the family get back on their feet, including items for their household. 

Cards and letters are sent to those who are serving and who are forgotten from their family and loved ones. Usually, loved ones cannot afford to send anything to the military member. 

RAK's are given out to card makers for a variety of reasons. This month, a $15.00 M's gift card will be given to the person who makes the most cards. A $25.00 gift card RAK to J's or M's will be given out the first week of October for cards made August-September. If interested, please PM me.

• Travelsoul likes this

#11 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:02 PM

For most of my womens cards I make cards from Anna Griffin kits. I always get raves, and phone calls when I make these cards. I don't follow her card suggestions but try to make it my own by using the different parts and pieces of the kits. Love that there are so many 3d flowers, etc to work with.  I usually do the insides when I am ready to give them to a certain person. 

For Men and children I make at the time they are needed.  Usually in a rush at the last minute!  

#12 LuciAZ

LuciAZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:36 PM

I teach card making classes in my home and I belong to a stamp club so I always have cards ready. I have way too many cards in my stash right now.

#13 Theelfqueen

Theelfqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Locationcolorado

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:13 AM

I mass produce generic "praying for you" / thinking of you cards. I used to send out a least two of them every week to people from my bible study, a friend who lost her son and others. I've fallen out of that habit, though.

I assembly line my Christmas cards (I make about 100 each year)

Other cards I make as needed

#14 heizluv

heizluv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:06 PM

Like most of you I make cards as needed.  I really want to mass produce but even if I have one on hand I always want to make it personal for the person on the receiving end.  I am a cardmaker turned scrapbooker.  My passion is still cards but because of Paperclipping Membership I have become a memory keeper now.  My goal is still to have cards available, especially sympathy and get well which are needed in a hurry.  Hopefully one day I will make this happen.

• Travelsoul likes this

#15 Johanna1978

Johanna1978

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:32 AM

Mostly I make card with recipians in mind. And I try to combine DT-work and upcoming birthdays.

But sometimes the inspiration kicks in and I create a card just because. Those pile up and I try to sell them or use them in last minute occasions.

#16 Betsy

Betsy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:39 AM

I really enjoy making cards, so I will often make them with no one in mind. I have tons of cards! I will often make two or three of the same or similar design at the same time.

#17 ladywing

ladywing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:03 AM

I mass produce my Christmas cards but other than making a few small batches of others, I think birthday, wedding etc all really do need that personal touch at the time of need. But it tends to put me in the "last minute" category too. I think the trick is pre-planning on who they are for and then making in advance. 

Peggy (aka ladywing)

play as if your life depends on it or you'll be Zamboni road kill.

#18 Megan Liane

Megan Liane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:43 PM

I try to mass produce but always run out of the ones I need. I really need to make more birthday cards as I am ALWAYS needing them.

#19 anniem888

anniem888

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:13 PM

I teach card making classes in my home and I belong to a stamp club so I always have cards ready. I have way too many cards in my stash right now.

which club do you belong to?  how did you pick that one?

I am also in the it depends group.  I make mass produced for some projects but most of the time I need the pressure of I need the card tomorrow! to get it done.  

#20 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 11:59 AM

I mass-produce Christmas cards and Thank You cards for special occasions, and I have a go-to Thank You card design that I use (just change out the patterned paper) that I send out to new patients at our office.

Otherwise, I try to think about what birthdays or events are coming up and try to have a stash to pull from. Mostly I just make whatever I'm inspired to make, then I'll usually pick the "most fitting" card out of the stash I have! Otherwise, if l make a specific card for a specific person, I'll usually forget to give it to them and I'm stuck with it for another year. Lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users