• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Ruthie

Ruthie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:18 PM

I have a gew clear stamps, but I just don't like them as much as my wood mount stamps. In fact, if I can get the stamp I want in the wood mount, that is what I go for everytime.

Which one do you prefer?

• Julie Paradise likes this

#2 MandyMae

MandyMae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationBetween the Mississippi and the Pacific :)

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

I always prefer clear.  Not even cling mounted rubber.  I don't have any wood mounted rubber and I really don't like my cling mounted rubber.  I am so clumsy that I must be able to see through the stamps.  My hands have been so shaky lately, that I've even been using just my footed stamp block so I can be more in control before I apply pressure.  

• VexedAngel likes this

#3 Annifer

Annifer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:11 PM

I usually get clear stamps. I have a few cling mounted rubber stamps and a couple of wooden stamps but I just would not have the space for all of them to be wooden ones. I love having a big selection, and I can keep all of my cling ones in a file folder easily. Still love wooden stamps though, they usually give a better image first time.

• VexedAngel likes this

#4 PaulB

PaulB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom - Manchester

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:27 PM

I know what you mean about loving red rubber and wood mounted stamps. But like the others, these days I go for clear stamps so that I can position them exactly where I want them.

• VexedAngel and mshanhun like this

#5 TiffanyH

TiffanyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:52 PM

Another vote for clear stamps. I like being able to see exactly where the design is going to be placed.

• VexedAngel likes this

#6 Patter

Patter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationGlad to be back in the Carolinas

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:59 AM

Clear are my least favorite. Just not the same quality. I LOVE rubber stamps (either wood mount or cling mount). Those are my "go to" stamps for sure.

Patter, Mom to identical triplet girls in college
Asst. DT Coordinator for Blue Fern Studios

#7 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:12 AM

Red rubber fan. The rubber can be removed from the wood and attached to a foam mounting system which then gets used on an acrylic block.

#8 scrappinpage

scrappinpage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationNorthern Wisconsin (BRRR...)

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

I prefer clear stamps....and if you stamp on a cushioned surface it is usually pretty crisp and clear. Also, using clear Versimark ink on it before you ink it up with your color REALLY helps! I have been stamping for over 18 years and I realize the image quality is better with rubber, but with above tips it is close and the benefit of being able to see where you are stamping WAY outweighs the slight difference in image quality!
  • VexedAngel and mshanhun like this
Wendy aka: scrappinpage

#9 VexedAngel

VexedAngel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:02 PM

Red rubber fan. The rubber can be removed from the wood and attached to a foam mounting system which then gets used on an acrylic block.

Or you can just strip it to bare rubber and paint Alene's tack it over and over on the back. I'm planning on doing that to save even more space soon. I no longer buy rubber though. Too much work and bulk and I get great impression with clear. Just make sure they're clean and I use a foam pad under whatever I'm stamping.

#10 cards4ever

cards4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:31 PM

Clear for me too.  love that I can tell if I am getting a good image. However, I do have a couple of red rubber stamps I love but mt collection is mostly clear. 

Mandi

My blog is called Kraze of MJ 

I design for Scrapbook Challenges, Child's Play Challenges and Simple Sketches

#11 janpfh

janpfh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSunny Arizona

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:19 AM

I love clear stamps so I can see where I'm stamping. I took all my wood mounted stamps off their blocks and store them in CD cases on an old CD rack. Love the amount of space I saved that way. Organizing them is easier. That way, too.

#12 gloriak

gloriak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:47 PM

Definately clear here too!  I also sue vesramark before color and a foam pad to get great impressions.  I do own some red rubber and wood mounted and use a stampa-ma-jig to get prefect placement every time!!

Preserving the past, for the future, in the present!

#13 cards4ever

cards4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:20 PM

I posted on my blog last year on how I store my cling and unmounted stamps. http://mjskraze.blogspot.com/2013/05/stamps-storage-review.html . It is basically a product review. I still use this system and the same two binders. 

Mandi

My blog is called Kraze of MJ 

I design for Scrapbook Challenges, Child's Play Challenges and Simple Sketches

#14 Annie

Annie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:43 PM

Red rubber & wood mounted all the way!

#15 Travelsoul

Travelsoul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationOrange County California

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:14 AM

I've never even stamped with a red rubber stamp. I've only been stamping for just over a year and I went straight to clear photopolymer. I just knew I didn't want to deal with storage of the wood mounted.

#16 simkim704

simkim704

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:47 AM

I have to admit I have a problem , I am addicted to all stamps!!! LOL but I do like clear so you position them well when stamping.

#17 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:06 AM

I definitely prefer Rubber stamps. I like cling mounted best because they are much easier to store than wood mounted.  Placement is not an issue. I use a stamp-a-ma-jig when needed and get perfect placement every time. Rubber is also much more forgiving and withstands heat and solvents well, so there are many more options available when it comes to variety of techniques. Especially when venturing into mixed media. I have recently started purchasing photopolymer since I really like alot of the Lawn Fawn stamps. I can't see them ever replacing my red rubber though.

#18 princessofcute

princessofcute

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:47 PM

Clear stamps here, because the price is usually better and easier to position, though if I like a stamp I will get the wooden one. 

#19 LizzieB

LizzieB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:45 PM

I have a ton of wood mounted stamps, but don't use them as much anymore.  I prefer clear if they are Gina K and foam mounted otherwise.  It's just so much easier to line them up by eye.  There are some clear stamps

that are not of good quality though, I've found Technique Tuesday and Gina K's clear to be of very high quality.  I use them a lot!

Eliz :rolleyes:

#20 bklyngal62

bklyngal62

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:02 AM

I prefer wood mount. I just find it easier to work with. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users