#81 tpgirl

tpgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationMIchigan

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:56 PM

I have just finished "What Alice Forgot" by Liane Moriarty. I loved it.  I am just starting "Blackberry Winter" by Sarah Jio. I hope it is good as my book-club is reading it and it was my recommendation. 

• gabmc likes this

Sharmon

#82 gabmc

gabmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:16 AM

I just bought "What Alice Forgot" 

Gab

#83 Teresa S

Teresa S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:59 AM

Finished Divergent and then watched the movie.  I enjoyed it.

My current Kindle read:  The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes. 

Hard back read:  The Death of Bees by Lisa O'Donnell.

#84 gabmc

gabmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:16 AM

Just finished "A Dance of Dragons" - the 5th book in the Game of Thrones series - soooooo good!

And also finished "Story of Beautiful Girl" by Rachel Simon which was pretty good too.

Gab

#85 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:24 AM

Any recommendations for "fluffy/easy-read", uplifting books? Things like Eat Pray Love or How Starbucks Saved My Life (obscure, but a fun little/easy read). Book of Awesome (a Stacy Julian pick on PRT) is next on my list, and I'd like to get Amy Poehlers book if I can find it for a good price. Hoping to find more books to keep an eye out for :) thanks in advance!

#86 gabmc

gabmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:08 AM

Not really fluffy but it is easy to read and really good - JoJo Moyes "Me Before You". Also "Everything I never told you" by Celeste Ng. Neither of these are really uplifting come to think about it - but really good all the same!

For light reading I like the alphabet series by Sue Graham and the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich.

I'm currently almost finished "The Other Boleyin Girl" and loving it

• janygb143 likes this

Gab

#87 gabmc

gabmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 01 May 2015 - 02:07 AM

Just finished "The Goldfinch" and loved it. I was expecting to be a bit disappointed as I'd heard so many good reviews but really loved it!

• janygb143 likes this

Gab

#88 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:59 PM

Reading Gone Girl. Sometimes tedious. Sometimes a page turner. Looking forward to watching the movie.

#89 Ohhh_Snap

Ohhh_Snap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 02:05 PM

I am currently reading THE HANDMAID'S TALE by Margaret Atwood. It is a dystopian novel wrote in 1985 ...it it disturbing but there are weird things like the main character talking about entering books into a computer and destroying the actual books but how some people would save the books because they liked the feel of actual book. This is how I feel about my Kindle, I use it, but really do prefer to read a physical book. It is strange because there weren't E-readers in 1985.....the internet was just becoming a reality in 1982-ish. I would never have chosen this book myself....It was a book club choice, but I am glad I read it. I will probably finish it tomorrow 

That is the scariest book I ever read. I've bought I don't know how many copies 20 years ago and kept lending them to friends (and I still don't have a copy now).

Mostly I buy reference books (horticulture, crafts, history). Most of my non-reference reading is actual books from the library, my current read is The Silkworm by JK Rowlling under her nom de plume.  Luddite that I am, I don't own a kindle (or a smart phone).

I did buy a copy of my "feel better" book "Let's Pretend This Never Happened" by Jenny Lawson (aka The Bloggess). I also have it on CD, but was always afraid to listen to it in the car for fear I would be too distracted to drive safely. It's also best I don't read/listen to it while I eat or drink for fear of drowning/choking.

• janygb143 likes this

#90 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 06:47 PM

I have a stacked of older books from a local charity book sale. I just finished the Time Travellers Wife and loved it. Now I am on to The Island Walkers.....on the fence about this one. I'll give it another fifty pages and see if I want to carry on.
  • sue_novascotia likes this

#91 Maplestock

Maplestock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, CANADA

Posted 19 July 2015 - 01:47 PM

I enjoy reading but rarely find time other than when I am away on vacation. My daughter is a writer and avid reader and she is on good reads as kissmyspine.
She has some recommendations to share...
She has been really enjoying Nordic mysteries and others from around the globe. The Son by Jo Nesbø. (Norway) She says it is the best book she has read in years. Also, Where Monsters Dwell by Jørgen Brekke. (Norway). Jar City by Arnaldur Indrioason. (Iceland).
The Dinner by Herman Koch. (Dutch). Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (Australia). This is soon to be a tv show. The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. (UK). Two other mysteries are The Bookseller by Mark Pryor and The Skin Collector by Jeffrey Deaver.
Books about life's journeys: Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter and The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George.
A book that might interest the crafty person is The French Inspired Home by Kaari Meng.
Lastly, she recommends Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith for a twist on the classic.
This reminds me why I don't often ask her opinion, lol, she has a lot to say! But since this thread seems so popular I thought I'd contribute.
  • Ohhh_Snap likes this

#92 sue_novascotia

sue_novascotia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 06:46 PM

I am currently reading THE HANDMAID'S TALE by Margaret Atwood

Being Canadian, I hate to admit that I don't like reading Margaret Atwood, she's kind of an institution here.  However, her books bring me down.  The Handmaid's Tale is the exception. Disturbing, but fascinating.

I'm just finishing the 8th book in the Outlander Series...I'm finding it a bit more of a slog than the others.  I'm midway through The Girl on the Train - Paula Hawkins and have  The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern in my beach bag.  As soon as I finish one I'll start Book 1 of The Game of Thrones.

• gabmc likes this

#93 Theelfqueen

Theelfqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Locationcolorado

Posted 25 August 2015 - 01:51 PM

Currently reading

The Plantagenents by Dan Jones and The Girl in the Orange Dress.

#94 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 01:19 PM

The librarian recommended the Morrow Days series to my daughter, and I read the first page of the first book and was hooked! We have been reading them out loud together, so it's taking longer, but we've gone through Mister Monday, Grim Tuesday, Drowned Wednesday (my favorite so far) and now we're on Sir Thursday.

• gabmc likes this

Wendyzine Scraps

Studio Wendy @ Scrapbookgraphics  •  Photoshop & Elements Instructor

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

#95 gabmc

gabmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:44 AM

I enjoy reading but rarely find time other than when I am away on vacation. My daughter is a writer and avid reader and she is on good reads as kissmyspine.
She has some recommendations to share...
She has been really enjoying Nordic mysteries and others from around the globe. The Son by Jo Nesbø. (Norway) She says it is the best book she has read in years. Also, Where Monsters Dwell by Jørgen Brekke. (Norway). Jar City by Arnaldur Indrioason. (Iceland).
The Dinner by Herman Koch. (Dutch). Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (Australia). This is soon to be a tv show. The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. (UK). Two other mysteries are The Bookseller by Mark Pryor and The Skin Collector by Jeffrey Deaver.
Books about life's journeys: Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter and The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George.
A book that might interest the crafty person is The French Inspired Home by Kaari Meng.
Lastly, she recommends Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith for a twist on the classic.
This reminds me why I don't often ask her opinion, lol, she has a lot to say! But since this thread seems so popular I thought I'd contribute.

Thanks for all those recommendations! 

Gab

#96 gabmc

gabmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:46 AM

Currently reading:

Anna Karenina

Mornings in Jenin                  - brilliant

The Sociopath Next Door     - interesting premise that 1 in 25 people are sociopaths 

The Gifts of Imperfection 

The Job                             - light and funny - by Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg

Gab

#97 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:54 PM

Gab, are you reading all those books at the same time?

I finally finished All the light we cannot see by Anthony Doerr. I really enjoyed this read.

Now for a fast, easy book....Aprons and Silver Spoons...a memoir of a 1930's kitchen maid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users