96 replies to this topic

#41 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:54 AM

Awesome topic! I'm currently reading the second in Nora Roberts' Cousins O'Dwyer series, Shadow Spell. Her work is always an escape to me, and these novels feature Wicca heavily, which I'm really enjoying.

I'm also reading Writing Down Your Soul by Janet Connor, Waking Up by Sam Harris, and Unworthy by Anneli Rufus, which really ties in with my word for the year. I love reading so much, and I've recently begun to focus more on finishing the books I've started, as well as bringing new ones in.

I love reading what others are into, too!

#42 Teresa S

Teresa S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:54 AM

Currently reading The Leftovers by Tom Perrotta.

#43 Nixmom96

Nixmom96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:06 PM

I just finished Unbroken. Wanted to read it prior to the movie coming out around Christmas. I'm 49. So school textbook/movie knowledge of WWII. I've taken care of some vets in my nursing career but I have to say this book opened my eyes to a part of that war about which I had very little awareness. Parts are hard to read knowing it was someone's reality but I highly recommend it. I found myself thinking about it for days after I finished if. I appreciate the sacrifices of all our servicemen and women but I have to say this has raised my respect of WWII vets to a new level.
  • Melissa likes this

#44 gabmc

gabmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:09 AM

I read The Maze Runner with our Year 6 class at the school I work at. I didn't really like it but the kids did! We are going to see if we can take the kids the movies one day after school.

And I didn't really like Gone Girl that much so I don't think I'll see the movie

Gab

#45 Teresa S

Teresa S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:33 AM

Took a book off the shelf that has been sitting there for a long time. Started reading The Elegance of The Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery.

"Renee is the concierge of a grand Parisian apartment building, home to members of the great and the good. Over the years she has maintained her carefully constructed persona as someone reliable but totally uncultivated, in keeping, she feels, with society's expectations of what a concierge should be. But beneath this facade lies the real Renee: passionate about culture and the arts, and more knowledgeable in many ways than her employers with their outwardly successful but emotionally void lives. Down in her lodge, apart from weekly visits by her one friend Manuela, Renee lives resigned to her lonely lot with only her cat for company. Meanwhile, several floors up, twelve-year-old Paloma Josse is determined to avoid the pampered and vacuous future laid out for her, and decides to end her life on her thirteenth birthday. But unknown to them both, the sudden death of one of their privileged neighbours will dramatically alter their lives forever. By turn moving and hilarious, this unusual novel became the top-selling book in France in 2007 with sales of over 900,000 copies to-date."
  • gabmc likes this

#46 tpgirl

tpgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationMIchigan

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:53 AM

@Nixmom96......I just moved Unbroken to the top of my TBR yeaterday...it looks so good, I hope to get to  it around Thanksgiving.

I just finished the 2nd novel in the Inspector Gamanche series by Louise Penny....it was so good "The Fatal Grace".  I am falling in love with this mystery series.  Next I am reading "Bitten" by Kelly Armstrong for a book club....a little bit of fun paranormal reading before I hit some heavy novels for my November Book Clubs.

• gabmc likes this

Sharmon

#47 Teresa S

Teresa S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 23 October 2014 - 05:02 AM

Now I know why the Elegance of The Hedgehog has been sitting on my shelf for so long... after sixty something pages, I had to put the book down. Just couldn't get into the style of writing or story. Started on 77 Shadow Street by Dean Koontz. What books have you started reading that you just couldn't finish?

#48 tpgirl

tpgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationMIchigan

Posted 23 October 2014 - 05:48 AM

The only book I haven't finished is LIttle Women, I started it earlier this year and am only at 147of 647. I decided to take a break and never went back. I am going to try and pick it back up in the New Year.  I have some heavier topics of reading planned for November.  #1..Invention of Wings by Sue KIdd Monk.  #2 The Poisionwood Bible by Barbara KIngsolver and #3 All the Light we cannot see by Anthony Doerr (If i get the book off the wait list by November.)  and #4 Unbroken.  This is a lot and I may not get it all done as I am a retail manager and November is very busy.

I have finished some easy reading for October.  Bitten by Kelley Armstrong and 2 Sookie Stackhouse by Charlaine Harris and I am planning to read one more cozy Mystery before I start November's Selections.  October was mostly easy reads to boost my numbers before starting Novembers longer and more serious reads. My goal for 2014 was 60 books and I am now at 68, so I am satisifed that I complered this goal for 2014 because that 20 pounds is still on me.

• Melissa likes this

Sharmon

#49 gabmc

gabmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:11 AM

I started the first book in the "Dexter" series and just couldn't read it

Gab

#50 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:33 AM

Hubby gave me Edge of Eternity today. It is the final book in the Century Trilogy by Ken Follett.
  • gabmc and MiaScraps like this

#51 gabmc

gabmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:48 PM

Mia, I'm more than 1/2 way through the first book in that series!

• MiaScraps likes this

Gab

#52 Nixmom96

Nixmom96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:10 PM

Recently finished The Shack and The Language of Flowers. The Shack was a quick read and enjoyable. Just not sure how I feel about it as a Christian. Not that it's bad or sac religious. Still pondering. Flowers was pretty good. Solid B. I wanted to hug and yell at the main character all through the book. Wish I was more like the Elizabeth character. Moving on to the Alchemist now. On all the best books ever lists. Read interview with author and Oprah. Curious.
  • gabmc likes this

#53 Nixmom96

Nixmom96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:14 PM

There is a post above that references Ken Follett. Just wanted to say I've read almost all his books. Some twice. Highly recommended. They are long but worth it.
  • gabmc and MiaScraps like this

#54 gabmc

gabmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:58 AM

I enjoyed "Language of Flowers" too - such an interesting concept for a story.

And I'm a big Ken Follett fan - just loved his "Pillars of the Earth" and "World without End"

• MiaScraps likes this

Gab

#55 tpgirl

tpgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationMIchigan

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:27 AM

Just finished the "Invention of Wings" by Sue Monk Kidd. Loved it.    Really Interesting fictional take on slavery and abolition in America.  I was really intrigued to find find out that some of the characters were based on real life women who worked for abolition and womens rights. Would recommend if you enjoy historical fiction.

• Melissa and gabmc like this

Sharmon

#56 gabmc

gabmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:11 PM

Yes I loved that one too Sharmon. And some of the people in it were real historical figures too. I studied Black American History at uni and as I was reading, I was thinking, I'm sure I've heard of that person. When Denmark Versey was introduced I knew that he was real!

• Melissa likes this

Gab

#57 tpgirl

tpgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationMIchigan

Posted 21 November 2014 - 05:51 PM

I finished "The Posionwood Bible"...liked the story but it was too long and drawn out.   Gab and Nixmom96.....I am waiting for a copy of "The language of Flowers" to become available from the library. I am next on the hold list.  I am also waiting for the greatly talked about "All the light we cannot see" but I won't get it for a while there are still  people ahead of me for 12 copies.

Sharmon

#58 gabmc

gabmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:12 PM

Sharmon, I have "All the Light" but haven't got around to starting it yet ... so many books and so little time!!

I read "Poisonwood" a few years ago and felt the same as you - I did enjoy it but didn't LOVE it the way some people seem to.

My next book will be "How to be both" by Ali Smith. It was shortlisted for the Booker Prize this year and is my pick for book club (always stressful when you pick something for others to read!)

• tpgirl likes this

Gab

#59 Teresa S

Teresa S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:45 AM

In the middle of Night Film. Good read!!! "On a damp October night, beautiful young Ashley Cordova is found dead in an abandoned warehouse in lower Manhattan. Though her death is ruled a suicide, veteran investigative journalist Scott McGrath suspects otherwise. As he probes the strange circumstances surrounding Ashley’s life and death, McGrath comes face-to-face with the legacy of her father: the legendary, reclusive cult-horror-film director Stanislas Cordova—a man who hasn’t been seen in public for more than thirty years. For McGrath, another death connected to this seemingly cursed family dynasty seems more than just a coincidence. Though much has been written about Cordova’s dark and unsettling films, very little is known about the man himself. Driven by revenge, curiosity, and a need for the truth, McGrath, with the aid of two strangers, is drawn deeper and deeper into Cordova’s eerie, hypnotic world. The last time he got close to exposing the director, McGrath lost his marriage and his career. This time he might lose even more. Night Film, the gorgeously written, spellbinding new novel by the dazzlingly inventive Marisha Pessl, will hold you in suspense until you turn the final page."

#60 storyangel

storyangel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

Posted 12 December 2014 - 01:16 PM

I also read Poisonwood a few years back and felt likewise. Glad I read it but didn't love it. I've just started Gone Girl. A little behind with that bandwagon, but wanted to read the book before seeing the movie. Other faves in the past few years would be Life of Pi, and the Dragon Tattoo trilogy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users