96 replies to this topic

#21 MaryCole

MaryCole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationVirginia, US

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:34 PM

I mentioned in an earlier post that I am a member at paperbackswap.com.  I don't keep many books around after I'm done reading them.  What do you do with your books after you've finished them.  Do you keep them, share them, or swap them?

We have a large regional library in our area, including a university city. The Friends of the Library have a big sale of used books twice a year. I donate my books to them. I rarely keep books to reread. I am a heavy user of the library, even more so since I retired. But I still can't help buying books, usually old ones that the library no longer has. Got to love the sellers of used books at Amazon.

• mshanhun likes this

Mary

Blog - Time for Dabbling

#22 BeckyG1

BeckyG1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationWickford, UK

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:57 AM

I donate my books to our local charity shop, which is where I also buy quite a lot of books from ,although I also buy books from Amazon for my Kindle. I have just finished reading The Island by Victoria His lop as we went to crete on holiday this year.

#23 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:57 AM

I mentioned in an earlier post that I am a member at paperbackswap.com.  I don't keep many books around after I'm done reading them.  What do you do with your books after you've finished them.  Do you keep them, share them, or swap them?

My friend back east is going to send me all her Game of Thrones paperbacks and I will send her my 3 Outlander books. Otherwise I would keep the books I really really enjoy, pass on to friends good ones to read or leave a box of books at work. They tend to find homes quickly.

#24 gabmc

gabmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:57 PM

Teresa, I'm a hoarder at heart so I tend to keep books ... I have no problems giving them back to libraries though!

Gab

#25 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:24 AM

Oh and i read a lot!
Right now i am reading The Disneyland Story, Unofficial Guide to Disney Cruise Line and the Devil in Pew number Seven.

I am curious about the Unofficial Guide to Disney Cruise Line. Care to enlighten a Disney fan?

#26 Theelfqueen

Theelfqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Locationcolorado

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:16 AM

I am a huge fan of the Unofficial Guide books for Disney planning (Wdw and DLR both) and the lines app ... I like the DCL Unofficial Guidebook but I've been hearing better reviews on the Passporters Guide for the Cruise Line. I've actually backburnered the Unofficial Guide since DH has pretty much shot down the idea of going on a cruise next year.

The Unofficial Guide is tied to the touringplans.com website. Some of the best and most in depth info available on the Web and in Book form for Disney overall (and trust me I've read a lot, listened to the podcasts, done the research.

#27 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:45 AM

Thanks for this info. We did one cruise last year and are hoping to do a different one in 2016 or 2017. I will check out these books.

#28 tpgirl

tpgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationMIchigan

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:18 PM

I have read 48 books this year...currently reading an old cozy mystery for a bookclub on goodreads "Aunt Dimity's Death". I read just about all types of books except not to many purely romance novels.  Next up is another guilty pleasure the 5th Sookie Stackhouse....not great literature but I love them anyway.

I am a member of goodreads and am always looking for more friends on goodreads  I am Sharmon Petersen.

• Melissa likes this

Sharmon

#29 gabmc

gabmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:28 AM

I am going to look for you on Good Reads Sharmon!

Gab

#30 tpgirl

tpgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationMIchigan

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:54 AM

Thanks Gab....I accepted your friend request. 

• gabmc likes this

Sharmon

#31 gabmc

gabmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:25 AM

You seem to have quite similar taste to me ... and like me you read more than one book at a time!

Gab

#32 Teresa S

Teresa S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:43 AM

Started on The Longbourn by Jo Baker.  It's about the servants (and their lives) of Pride and Prejudice.  Pretty good so far!

#33 Teresa S

Teresa S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:46 AM

Teresa, I'm a hoarder at heart so I tend to keep books ... I have no problems giving them back to libraries though!

I see books in the background of your profile picture!  I have a bookcase full of books also, but it's ones I haven't read.  There are things I hoard too (like scrapbook supplies), but books aren't something I hold on to; I like to share those, but don't ask me to share my stash!!!   

• gabmc likes this

#34 tpgirl

tpgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationMIchigan

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:33 PM

I am currently reading THE HANDMAID'S TALE by Margaret Atwood. It is a dystopian novel wrote in 1985 ...it it disturbing but there are weird things like the main character talking about entering books into a computer and destroying the actual books but how some people would save the books because they liked the feel of actual book. This is how I feel about my Kindle, I use it, but really do prefer to read a physical book. It is strange because there weren't E-readers in 1985.....the internet was just becoming a reality in 1982-ish. I would never have chosen this book myself....It was a book club choice, but I am glad I read it. I will probably finish it tomorrow 

• sue_novascotia, mshanhun, gabmc and 1 other like this

Sharmon

#35 Scrapgurl

Scrapgurl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationNorthern British Columbia, Canada

Posted 13 September 2014 - 02:19 PM

I just finished Snowflower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See and Omens by Kelley Armstrong.  I have started Before I Wake by Robert J. Wiersma.  Next up, Atonement by ian McEwan and Geisha, a Life by Mineko Iwasaka.  I love reading and usually have books on the go on my Ipad as well as audio books and "real"books!

• gabmc and tpgirl like this

#36 tpgirl

tpgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationMIchigan

Posted 13 September 2014 - 05:19 PM

Scrapgurl....I will have to check out those titles! 

Sharmon

#37 gabmc

gabmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 13 September 2014 - 06:06 PM

I see books in the background of your profile picture!  I have a bookcase full of books also, but it's ones I haven't read.  There are things I hoard too (like scrapbook supplies), but books aren't something I hold on to; I like to share those, but don't ask me to share my stash!!!   

Most of those books are now in boxes in our storage shed in Australia. When we moved to HK I brought very few books with me!

Gab

#38 gabmc

gabmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 13 September 2014 - 06:08 PM

Sharmon I've heard of that book but have never read it - I have read one other Margaret Atwood book and found it quite unusual.

And Scrapgurl, I've read "Snowflower" and really enjoyed it! I'll have to look up those others you're reading

Gab

#39 Teresa S

Teresa S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:40 AM

I'm not a big go to the movies person; I like to watch them at home. This month and next month four great books I've read have been turned into movies are hitting the theater: This Is Where I Leave You, The Maze Runner, Gone Girl and Horns. I plan on seeing them all. Anyone else?

#40 Sindi

Sindi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:45 PM

I loved The Maze Runner. The rest of that series is pretty good as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users