#1 Teresa S

Teresa S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:57 AM

Fellow bookworms.  I try to read a little everyday, even if it is for a few minutes.  My current reads are:

Kindle: Under the Dome by Stephen King

Paper:  20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill (short stories by Stephen King's son).

Been working on Under the Dome for quite awhile. I started watching it last summer so I think that is why it is taking me so long to finish.  I usually read the book first.

What are your current reads?

#2 MaryCole

MaryCole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationVirginia, US

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:21 AM

I've been an avid reader since childhood. One of the nice thngs about retirement is more reading time. I read several books a week plus an audio book in the car. I'm excited that the last book in the All Souls Trilogy, The Book of Life, will be released tomorrow. I'm number 2 on the library's hold list.

Books about witches and vampires are not my normal reading though. Mostly I read mysteries. A few of my favorite authors are Craig Johnson, J.A. Jance, Charles Todd, Anne Perry, G.M. Malliet, J.D. Robb, and Lee Child. I have also been rereading some oldies that I read years ago. I recently finished rereading the Nero Wolfe series by Rex Stout. A couple of years ago, I reread the books of Agatha Christie.

Mary

Blog - Time for Dabbling

#3 Scrapgurl

Scrapgurl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationNorthern British Columbia, Canada

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:50 PM

I just finished The Girl You Left behind by jojo moyes, and have been working on the Spirit Well for a while. I am also doing some professional reading, The Zones Of Regulation and Mindset.

#4 Patticlay

Patticlay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

I decided that this summer I would read only classics. So far I have enjoyed re-reading Little Women and Pride and Prejudice. I am trying to finish Wuthering Heights but I would much rather be reading some paperback Chic Lit!  Two is enough, isn't it?  :D  :D  :D

#5 gabmc

gabmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:54 PM

Haha Patti - I've just finished Pride and Prejudice too - I was amazed at how relevant it still is.

I love reading too and I like to read more than one book at a time - I usually have a non-fiction, an easy read, a craft book, a mystery and a literary book on the go.

So right now I'm reading "Emotional Intelligence" by Daniel Goleman, "Creative Foundations" by Vicki Boutin, "Three to Get Deadly" by Janet Evanovich, "The Secret Holocaust Diaries" by Nonna Bannister, "Baghdad Fixer" by Ilene Prusher and "Dragonfly in Amber" by Diana Gabaldon 

Is anyone on GoodReads? My name there is Gabrielle McCann

• Patticlay, tpgirl and Theelfqueen like this

Gab

#6 storyangel

storyangel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:35 AM

I'm ready to get back into reading again. I tend to go in phases and just had a gap at the end of pregnancy and the first couple of months with my newborn son. I subscribe to BookBub emails which give me cheap / free book ideas to download onto my Kindle. It's a fun way to read books I wouldn't otherwise know about! I'm going to check out Good Reads I think.

#7 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:12 AM

I'm reading the second book in the Game of Thrones series. I'm also reading a history of homes and home life by Bill Bryson called, At Home. Since that one is non-fiction I take breaks from it to give more time to whatever fiction I'm reading, though. I'm also reading a really good book on composting right in your garden areas, rather than in a composting bin. It's really good.

• mshanhun and gabmc like this

#8 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:14 AM

I am trying to finish Wuthering Heights but I would much rather be reading some paperback Chic Lit!  Two is enough, isn't it?  :D  :D  :D

Wuthering Heights is a challenge at times to understand, but it's my favorite book ever. It has been since I was a teenager. I've read that thing so many times. It's such a dark, sad love story. There is nothing else like it and it fascinates me!!

• sue_novascotia and Patticlay like this

#9 vdoyle8

vdoyle8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationRochester NY

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:27 AM

I love to read! I recently finished The Rosie Project - loved it! It will be our book club discussion book for this month. I'm reading the Supreme Macaroni Company - as an Italian American, I love Adriana Trigiani's books. The descriptions of her family crack me up!
I just finished Sue Monk Kidd's The Invention of Wings - liked it but not as much as The Secret Life of Bees.

I usually am reading a book and listening to another audio book. Just finisherd Bossypants by Tina Fey -- and Tina Fey was the reader. It was fantastic!

#10 Sindi

Sindi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:05 PM

I just finished reading Room by Emma Donoghue (probably spelled that wrong!). It was one of those that made me feel emotionally spent afterwards! Lol. It is really well written and the storyline sucks you in but the content is heavy duty. Definitely not a fluff read!

I am now on the hunt for some mindless fluff to help me recover from that one! :)

#11 Teresa S

Teresa S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:47 AM

I just finished reading Room by Emma Donoghue (probably spelled that wrong!). It was one of those that made me feel emotionally spent afterwards! Lol. It is really well written and the storyline sucks you in but the content is heavy duty. Definitely not a fluff read!

I am now on the hunt for some mindless fluff to help me recover from that one! :)

I read this book last year.  Very good and I agree, heavy duty.  If you like dark story lines, check out The Devil All The Time by Donald Ray Pollock.  I read it in less than a week and then gave it to my Mom; she read it in a few days and then had my Dad read who also finished it quickly.

• Sindi likes this

#12 gabmc

gabmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:51 AM

I love Game of Thrones Noell! I'm just about to start book 5

• Noell likes this

Gab

#13 Theelfqueen

Theelfqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Locationcolorado

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:04 PM

Wuthering Heights is a challenge at times to understand, but it's my favorite book ever. It has been since I was a teenager. I've read that thing so many times. It's such a dark, sad love story. There is nothing else like it and it fascinates me!!

Whenever i think of Wuthering Heights.... My oldest was assigned it for a class he was taking his senior year of high school and was not enjoying it but determined to get through it. I suggested he try the audio book... So he started listening to it in the weight room. So funny. I just cant help but think of him, all burly and working for wrestling season and listening to Bronte while he worked.
  • Ohhh_Snap likes this

#14 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:04 AM

I am just finishing up the first book in the Outlanders series and then I am on to the first book in the Game of Thrones. I picked it up off a free rack and hubby read it first. I can't wait. I love the tv series!
  • gabmc, Dragonfly and Gladdie like this

#15 Theelfqueen

Theelfqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Locationcolorado

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:02 AM

Oh and i read a lot!

Right now i am reading The Disneyland Story, Unofficial Guide to Disney Cruise Line and the Devil in Pew number Seven.
  • gabmc likes this

#16 Teresa S

Teresa S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:11 PM

Started on The Death Cure, last book in the YA book trilogy by James Dashner.  First book is The Maze Runner and second is The Scorch Trials.

#17 Sindi

Sindi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:47 PM

Teresa, I love the Maze Runner series! Be sure to read The Kill Order, too. It's a prequel to the maze runner books. :)

#18 Teresa S

Teresa S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:00 PM

I have it on my Wish List at paperbackswap.com.  Thanks!

#19 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:41 PM

I read that one. Tough book.

#20 Teresa S

Teresa S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:16 PM

I mentioned in an earlier post that I am a member at paperbackswap.com.  I don't keep many books around after I'm done reading them.  What do you do with your books after you've finished them.  Do you keep them, share them, or swap them?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users