Photo

Where do you print? Shutterfly looking to sell....

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 StephRaeK

StephRaeK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:02 PM

So, I was a Kodak girl, until they were purchased by Shutterfly, so then I became a Shutterly girl.   Now, I'm hearing that Shutterfly is looking to sell off their printing part of the business.   Are you concerned with where you upload/store/print your photos?  I like having all my photos in one offsite place.  Yes, I backup, and I print pretty regularly, but there's still that concern in the back of my head that I'm going to lose all my pictures.   I hate the thought of having albums here and there all over the internet.   So, are you a Shutterfly user?  Are you concerned that they might sell?   Where do you print? 

Stephanie

#2 VexedAngel

VexedAngel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:59 PM

I make annual photo books there. I wonder if those are considered printing? Hmm.

#3 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:19 PM

I've used Shutterfly a few times - once to set up a shared site for my daughter's preschool, and to print a couple of photo books because I had  a coupon.

For the majority of our photo hosting and printing, we use Smugmug.  They are not the cheapest but I love the features of the online site - no ads, tons of configurable options, and just really nice presentation of our photos.  Printing is *excellent* - top quality, though it does take 3-7 days to get photos back since they print in Atlanta and I'm in Seattle.  But we've had our family photos on that site since 2005.  When I discovered how easy it is to send them to Smugmug from Lightroom, I was totally sold on staying there forever :)

• mshanhun likes this

#4 Scrappinchick

Scrappinchick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:26 PM

Athough recently I have just been printing at Walmart, I have used Winfklash a lot in the past. You can store all your photos on there plus they run deals all the time for really cheap prints. Their quality isn't quite as good as Shutterfly but the price is sooo much better.

#5 Tiffany W

Tiffany W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:01 PM

I have made several photobooks with Shutterfly for gifts, my personal library, and most recently a yearbook for my son's preschool. I used to order most of my prints from Shutterfly, but the last few orders I have received have been terrible. The print quality has been very poor. I currently order prints with Groovebook. While the photo paper is exceptionally thin, the color and quality is actually pretty decent considering it only costs $2.99 for the whole book. I am also getting 100 prints free a month for a year through Snapfish mobile and only paying shipping which is $8.99. The quality has been lovely and the customer service is pretty decent. The app is awful to work with because it crashes so often. I persist because I like the price and I like the quality of the prints.
  • janygb143 likes this

#6 Tiffany W

Tiffany W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:04 PM

Here is the link about Shutterfly looking for a buyer.

http://www.bloomberg...s-for-site.html

#7 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:16 PM

From that article, it sounds like they are trying to sell the whole company. As far as I understand, printing is all they do... just a variety of types. They have been the gold standard in the photobook printing market for non-photographers, so this really surprises me!

Wendyzine Scraps

Studio Wendy @ Scrapbookgraphics  •  Photoshop & Elements Instructor

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

#8 Jermangirl

Jermangirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:13 AM

I was using shutterfly as an online backup, but have basically stopped....I do back up locally and print a selection of prints quarterly (and burn the ones I print to DVD). I try not to think about losing everything - and although it's unlikely, I guess it could happen. But the time it took to upload to shutterfly just wasn't worth it to me anymore :-(

#9 Carol

Carol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:12 AM

I use Persnickety Prints. They have incredible quality. Mindblowing. They are quick, great customer service, variety of sizes/finishes and run great sales. I also have heard great things about the Canon Selphy and am considering buying that...save save saving!
  • vintageplaid likes this
Read about my life here: http://carolynchastain.blogspot.com
Instagram: http://instagram.com/carolchastain05
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/cchastain374/
{Connect the Dots...Words+Photos}

#10 Patter

Patter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationGlad to be back in the Carolinas

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:13 AM

Wow, that's sad to see them wanting to sell. With that said, I have used mpix.com and love them. But since I got my Epson Charm, I now exclusively print at home. Love the quality on their matte paper!

Patter, Mom to identical triplet girls in college
Asst. DT Coordinator for Blue Fern Studios

#11 createsfromscraps

createsfromscraps

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationValencia, CA

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:55 AM

Is Becky Higgins' Digital Project Life still printing with Shutterfly?   I'm not a digital user, but I remembered that she had those available through Shutterfly.  I dont know if that is still true. 

#12 MandyMae

MandyMae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationBetween the Mississippi and the Pacific :)

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:15 AM

I use persnickety.  I love them.  I also really like Mpix, but they dump files every 60 days if you don't order, so I quit using them.  I think I prefer them though, so it makes me kinda sad.....Thus, I either print at home or from persnickety.  

I do rely on my processor as my backup online.  But this is a good reminder that ANYTHING we have online is only as permanent as the company is.  Whether it be Flickr, the cloud based backups or anything.  I ALWAYS copy to an external harddrive and DVDs.  I ♥ redundancy.

• wendyzine and Carol like this

#13 donyaluana

donyaluana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:28 PM

I use both Persnickety Prints and Costco.  Both produce great coloring and the only difference I've noticed compared to professional printing services (like WHCC, ProDPI, etc) is that the paper is slightly thinner.  But for scrapbooking purposes, that's actually a good thing, I think.  

• mshanhun likes this

I can be found over here: www.donyaluana.com/blog

Instagram: @donyaluana

#14 ladywing

ladywing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:32 AM

I've used Shutterfly in the past, but generally, I'm printing as needed at home now. I have used a local photo store in the past too. I've found issues with prints done at Walgreens, etc. No checking of the product, color off etc. I have a friend who has had constant issues going that route and it really does depend on the local store and who is doing the printing. I've heard awesome things about Persnickety and will be trying them with some digital books.

Peggy (aka ladywing)

play as if your life depends on it or you'll be Zamboni road kill.

#15 Inkfanatic

Inkfanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:56 PM

Mostly, for batch printing I've been using Snapfish. If I just need a few prints, I do it at home. I do need to do,some more batch printing, and have considered using Persnickety, mostly to compare quality. For most of my documenting, I've been happy with the quality of Snapfish. I don't really have a comparison though, except to my home printer.
I like that Snapfish does some deals with larger orders, hence the batch printing.

Robin

#16 StephRaeK

StephRaeK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:06 PM

I make annual photo books there. I wonder if those are considered printing? Hmm.

My understanding is that they are not trying to sell the photobooks/mugs/calendars - only the actual picture printing.

Stephanie

#17 StephRaeK

StephRaeK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:07 PM

I was using shutterfly as an online backup, but have basically stopped....I do back up locally and print a selection of prints quarterly (and burn the ones I print to DVD). I try not to think about losing everything - and although it's unlikely, I guess it could happen. But the time it took to upload to shutterfly just wasn't worth it to me anymore :-(

Agreed  - their upload process is SOOOOO slow.  It kills me.

Stephanie

#18 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:15 AM

Even the "free" prints haven't been worth it from shutterfly lately, like TiffanyW said. I was considering retrying them last week when I got a coupon, but I decided in the end it wasn't worth all the time to edit/crop, just to have them print at terrible quality that I wouldn't want to show anyone, anyway. So Groovebook does decent quality?

The only thing i use those cheap prints for is handing out to family (prints for my albums come from Persnickety Prints bc they're amazing and I am picky about my projects looking good). My husbands grandpa prints the photos i email him on his home printer, and I cringe when I see them - he's either using a super low quality setting of his ink is out, so the kids turn out all greenish-yellow! I'd rather supply him with decent prints than have him show my Martian children to his friends and extended family!
  • Jermangirl likes this

#19 Tiffany W

Tiffany W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:04 PM

Janygb143, the print quality is ok on Groovebook, but it isn't stellar. I have never printed through Persnickety Prints so I can't give you a comparison. I am using the Groovebook prints in my Project Life Album. And it is fun to have photos for my kids to print with. Keep in mind that Groovebook only costs $2.99 so you aren't going to get top notch quality. But I am not a brilliant photographer either so I don't mind using Groovebook. If you want to try it out, I have a code for a free book. Let me know if you are interested. Anyone is welcome to try the code.
There isn't a limit on how many people can use it.
  • janygb143 likes this

#20 Tiffany W

Tiffany W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:05 PM

I think Groovebook is a perfect option for people who never print photos but want to get a few pics printed. The photos come Ina book so they really don't have to do anything with them once there are printed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users