• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Ruthie

Ruthie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:50 AM

What weight and brand of cardstock do you use for your cards.

I usually buy the Gina K Design 100 weight.

#2 mswhittaker23

mswhittaker23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:02 AM

I switched to the Stampin' Up! card stock when I became a hobby demo and I'm pretty sure I'll only use this card stock from here on out. I just stocked up since I'm ending my demoship soon. It's nice and thick and provides for excellent card bases. I find the price pretty reasonable too.

#3 MandyMae

MandyMae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationBetween the Mississippi and the Pacific :)

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:11 PM

I like the Papertrey Ink cardstock.  It seems to be the most budget friendly.  I've only had kraft and off white, but I am planning to buy a color assortment.

#4 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:10 PM

I love Gina K's cardstock for bases. My next favorite are Stampin Up and Simon Says Stamp.

#5 LizzieB

LizzieB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:06 PM

I love Gina K's layering weight paper and I also like Papertray Ink.  I have a lot of Stampin-Up paper which I use for many things, but I don't like the way it works with my Cameo. 

• bestcee likes this

Eliz :rolleyes:

#6 Siri F

Siri F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationÃ…lesund, Norway

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:46 AM

I use Bazzill cardstock. I really like the Card Shoppe line. So thick and smooth!
I don't mind fuzzy cutting, but don't get me started on watching glue dry!

#7 diecuts4u

diecuts4u

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:21 AM

I recently discovered Hobby Lobby carries an extra heavy cardstock, 50 sheets for $8.99, their Paper Studio brand, but  I buy it when all the Paper Studio products are 50% off. It comes in cream, white and black and has a really nice smooth finish to It in addition to being so thick. Love it.

#8 christi

christi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:04 AM

I love Papertrey Ink and Paper Source cardstock.

Both are very thick with a nice smooth surface. 

Christi in MA

Instagram

#9 GwynnAsbury

GwynnAsbury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationMountain View, CA

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:08 PM

Another person who uses the Stampin' Up! Cardstock I love their Whisper White and Very Vanilla. 

#10 MandyMae

MandyMae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:10 PM

I recently discovered Hobby Lobby carries an extra heavy cardstock, 50 sheets for $8.99, their Paper Studio brand, but  I buy it when all the Paper Studio products are 50% off. It comes in cream, white and black and has a really nice smooth finish to It in addition to being so thick. Love it.

Oh thanks!!!  I'll have to check that out next time I'm at HL.

#11 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:25 AM

Question. I am not a card maker but I occasionally make cards when the mood strikes and I need one. I just grab whatever paper I have on hand. What is the importance to use a specific paper for cardmaking?

#12 GwynnAsbury

GwynnAsbury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationMountain View, CA

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:05 AM

well when making cards i think having a good weight smoother cardstock is a must.  Different cardstock absorbs ink differently, which when you are stamping is a big deal.  Also, if you don't have a good weight of card, the card won't stand up.....  However, I also make my cards from scraps as well so, doing what you are doing is okay too!  make sense?

• Patticlay likes this

#13 MandyMae

MandyMae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:51 PM

Question. I am not a card maker but I occasionally make cards when the mood strikes and I need one. I just grab whatever paper I have on hand. What is the importance to use a specific paper for cardmaking?

Honestly, I think it really just depends on what you're doing.  And how picky you are.  Some papers take ink differently than others.  Some could view this as a negative, some as a positive, just depending on what you are trying to accomplish.  

I have used the cheap cardstock from Georgia Pacific at Walmart forever for my cardbases.  I just switched to the 80lb  Neenah everyone raves about.  Honestly, I've not noticed much of a difference.  The 80 lb is already 50% more than the GP from Walmart, I'm a bit hesitant to order the 110 lb that is 4x more.  There are minor differences that I notice, but I know no one who I send a card to would notice a difference.  I think I may continue to use the 80 lb Neenah just because I can buy it from a local shop, and I really like to support local before Walmart.  But it would be for that reason, not because I think it's that much better.

Guess I'm saying, if super nice paper isn't in your budget, don't sweat it.  

---

On another note, because I've scrapbooked for a decade but have never done much cards prior to the last six months, I don't have a collection of smooth cardstock, or ink.  I'm very impatient, but also can't afford to buy huge amounts of both colored cardstock and coordinating ink at the same time, so I've been just buying ink to expand that library.  Perhaps it's just because I use massive amounts of white space, but it's very easy for me to rather than using a color cardstock layer, just ink the edge of a white layer and put it under the top layer to make it appear it's a complete sheet of color.  In other words, if you can only afford ink OR paper, invest in ink.

• Trrrracey likes this

#14 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:58 AM

Thanks for your replies. I have a decades worth of paper and always use a heavyweight paper to make cards or a light weight white card base and beef it up with layers. I know what you mean about getting a good print from the stamps. Since I don't make too many cards I'm okay with experimenting with my inks and practicing on scraps until I find one I'm happy with.

#15 KatieJ

KatieJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:32 PM

I love Papertrey Ink for my card bases and die cutting in the Vagabond.  It's such a nice, heavy weight.  For intricate cuts in my Silhouette, I like American Crafts.  

Michael's now carries a 110 lb Recollections brand cardstock in white and cream.  The weight is really good.  I bought the white, and it's not as bright as the Papertrey, but it's good for some projects.

• CindyP likes this

#16 Inkfanatic

Inkfanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:20 AM

You know, I've pretty much been a diehard Bazzill + AC kind of girl. And by far, that is mostly still what I have, and use. But I got some of the Recollections heavier weight colored cs the other day (when they were 6/$1!), and I kind of like it! Mind you, all the paper was 6/$1, so I mostly bought my favorite flavors of Bazzill. But, nice to know that in a pinch (not that I see a pinch coming in my cs stash soon, lol) the Recollections brand might be ok :)

Robin

#17 LisaInRe

LisaInRe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:56 AM

Stampin' Up Crumble Cake (is that the name?) Kraft, French Vanilla, Natural (smooth) and Smooth White from Bazzill. I've stopped buying any other colours at all.

#18 angelBev

angelBev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:24 PM

I've not been a prolific card makeer but as I make cards, I can tell the difference int he paper I use.  I look at it think about what the person receiving it will think. Is it thin floppy cheap paper, or does it hold up well and feel solid. It's like the difference between a Hallmark card and a Dollar Tree card. Both look nice and get the sentiment across, but one just *feels* nicer. 

• LizzieB likes this

#19 Niki

Niki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:18 PM

My most used cardstock is American Crafts.  I like the weight, colors and texture.  I bought lots of it when Hobby Lobby and Michaels carried it in packs. 

:) Niki

#20 Jessie

Jessie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:55 AM

It varries, I love a few different kinds, Neenah 110lbs cardstock, its nice and white and can be used for all sorts of colouring, as well as stiff enough for a card base or a 1 layer card, but I also reach for bazzil card shoppe, PTI, Stampin up. So those are all the ones I usually have on hand and then I just go based on what colour suits my need on that card. 

• LizzieB likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users