Photo

Is project life killing the Scrapbooking market?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Travelsoul

Travelsoul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationOrange County California

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:44 PM

When I have people ask me about scrapbooking (coworkers mostly) and express a desire to want to do something with their photos, Project Life is the first thing I bring up. I really think Project Life can be a great introduction into memory keeping. It gives people who don't feel they're artistic enough, or don't have the time, or don't have the money, an opportunity to try it out without making too big of an investment. Who knows how they might evolve from there - digital, mixed media, traditional. I think Project Life can really grow the hobby.
  • Izzy, Noell, Siri F and 3 others like this

#22 Teri H.

Teri H.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationLethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:08 PM

I think a lot of the discussion depends on how people are using PL vs. "traditional" scrapbooking. For myself, I came to PL after I had been scrapbooking for about four years and I use it mainly for weekly spreads of everyday happenings, where my full 12x12 layouts are specific stories/moments/events that I want to record. Every now and then I'll use a divided page protector in my traditional albums to organize a larger amount of photos. I think people may come and go to/from PL for diverse reasons. 

I, for one, am thankful for it as a new method to tell stories and am happy to blend. I have a feeling that without PL, we would still see the industry shrinking and a decline in overall participation in memory keeping. 

• Inkfanatic likes this

Loving the Literary Life

www.thestoryknows.com

#23 Siri F

Siri F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationÃ…lesund, Norway

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:00 PM

I've beought my PL album both to the store I work in and to several crops, and I know Doing so has made a change in a lot of the people seeing them.

Several hard core "I will never make a LO" card makers has turned and said, oh, I can totally do this for my summer trip with my grandkids.

Scrapbooking friends that only have time to scrap when at crops discovered a way to have the joy of scrapbooking in their life on a more regular basis.

A friend who when I first met had never made a card, met the wall with regards to scrapbooking, and she had not made a page in over a year. I invited her home and we sat together and she made a snap album (simple stories) for her DHB from a trip they went on without the kids. Now, she has started a PL album, and she is also doing regular scrapbooking again as well.

At the moment, I'm planning for the future of my yet to be born niece. My sister and her man are not memory keepers. I know she wants to be one, but it just wont happen. So, I've decided to make an PL style album for them. I'm planning on giving them a selphy printer for christmas, and the album will be all done with journaling promts, embellishments in pockets and they can just write a little note and slip in the photo. I know I won't get them to be scrapbookers by doing this, but... The little girl will be groing up having theis gorgeous baby album about herself, and when she visits her aunt she'll get to play in my craftroom, and maybe make pages with photos from our activities during the day... Before my sister knows what hit her, she will have a paper crafter in the family!
  • Noell, Ina, Mermaid and 1 other like this
I don't mind fuzzy cutting, but don't get me started on watching glue dry!

#24 donyaluana

donyaluana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:54 AM

Wow, great discussion here. 

I fall into the category of returning to scrapbooking *because* of Project Life.  And now that I've done it for 2.5 years, I'm branching out to traditional layouts as well sometimes.  

• Carol, cidcm001 and Legomomof1 like this

I can be found over here: www.donyaluana.com/blog

Instagram: @donyaluana

#25 ladywing

ladywing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:42 AM

I think the flip side question is what effect digital has had on traditional scrapping. People do PL digitally as well. Are people shifting away from regular scrapping and moving to digital and is that having an effect on this industry? We see many paper companies producing their products digitally too now. New trends are going to be seen in digital long before paper can put it out. Whatever form of memory keeping it is, it is still memory keeping. :)

• Dragonfly likes this

Peggy (aka ladywing)

play as if your life depends on it or you'll be Zamboni road kill.

#26 Ruth

Ruth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:30 PM

i know an increasing number of people who would have quit scrapbooking entirely if not for PL, from the PL groups I am in where I see oldmagazine submitters who have been long gone from the market returning with PL to personal friends who are busy and have other hobbies but find PL more manageable, I think it is increasing the scrapbook industry size not decreasing it, andI agree with the previous poster who said that there is a mismatch between the number of supplies for sale and the number we can realistically afford and use. There are a lot of people who have their stash grow at unsustainable rates and then need to cut their spending because they are stressed out by all the STUFF they are not using. It is a damaging situation for the industry if people feel like they cannot happily buy stuff but feel guilt and stress over getting anything more.

• Noell likes this

#27 cidcm001

cidcm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:11 AM

I think there are a lot of us that use both @ladywing.  I am a hybrid scrapper and I use my digital cards and embellishments to create cards and I use physical paper products... each pocket is different.  If I want to move fast I handwrite onto cards... if I have time I muck around in PS and build a card there and print it like a photo.  Like I said, I don't buy less because of PL :-)

#28 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:03 AM

I think the flip side question is what effect digital has had on traditional scrapping. People do PL digitally as well. Are people shifting away from regular scrapping and moving to digital and is that having an effect on this industry? We see many paper companies producing their products digitally too now. New trends are going to be seen in digital long before paper can put it out. Whatever form of memory keeping it is, it is still memory keeping. :)

I too have often thought about this, and hope it is not a negative factor. I had jumped into digital scrapping back when it was first taking hold. I belonged to to digital clubs like Scrapper's Guide, and Scrap Girls. I really liked the idea of not having any storage worries, never running out of that favorite piece of paper or embellishment, and I was able to create better layouts more quickly. Another thing that appealed to me at first, was everyone was saying how much cheaper it was to go digital. True, the cost per unit was significantly less, but I actually spent just as much money overall. It was very easy to type in my credit card number and click download. My digital supply vastly out numbers my physical, and it's all neatly organized on my hard drive, conveniently hidden away until I choose to look at it. After the initial excitement wore off I realized for me, it was not simply only about memory keeping. It was the craft itself that called to me. I like the feel of paper in my hands, the myriad of colors and textures at my finger tips from all my inks, paints, markers, micas, embossing powders, pastes, etc...I love using my tools. Digital just can't compare to the tactile satisfaction I get from physically creating.

#29 Tiffany W

Tiffany W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:43 AM

A friend of mine who always shied away from scrapbooking recently sent me a message saying she came across PL in Michaels and just fell in love with it. She bought stuff and is now getting a decade's worth of family photos organized and into albums. So I think it is a nice entry point into the industry,
  • Ina likes this

#30 JDKelly

JDKelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationBeaumont, AB, Canada

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:52 AM

I don't think PL is killing the market. It has re-engaged me in the hobby. I am able to do a little bit at a time and capture a few of my favourite little weekly stories. If this product had not been created, I might not be doing much scrapping at all as I just don't seem to have the drive to complete a 12x12 page.
  • Dragonfly likes this

#31 donyaluana

donyaluana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:43 AM

What really got me into Project Life (and back into memory keeping in general) was the importance it put on every day memories.  Now that I've been reintroduced to scrapbooking for a few years, I do realize that some people actually do create 12x12 layouts about every day stuff, but back when I quit, it seemed that people were mostly scrapping big events (birthdays, weddings, births, trip to the zoo) and it drove me away from it.  So when I discovered Project Life (through Ali Edwards, actually) I realized this movement towards printing photos of those tiny, every day moments that are super important in the grand scheme of things.  

For me, that's why I think Project Life helped the industry as a whole.  

• Dragonfly and Julie Paradise like this

I can be found over here: www.donyaluana.com/blog

Instagram: @donyaluana

#32 April

April

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:25 AM

The scrapbook industry didn't used to exist. Not really. When I was in high school (in the 80's) I bought a big scrapbook album at the Hallmark Store. It had giant white pages  post bound into a cover & you glued on whatever you wanted to put in the book. Other than that, there were those sticky "magnetic" albums that ruined your photos. I'm not sure if the photo albums with 4x6 pockets were around.

Supplies to be used came from the stationary department. Papers meant for invitations - lick & stick photo corners - and rubber cement glue (horrors). Whatever napkins or pretty stationary, or rubber stamped or hand drawn images I chose to add in there. And pretty colored pens to draw with - who knew if they were archival or not - remember Le Pen you could find them in any color - brides would choose their wedding colors for people to use to sign the guest book.

At one time scrapbooks were 8.5"x11" then 12"x12" came in. There have been a lot of other sizes.

The pocket page protector and Project Life is just another change adapting to what people want right now.

I probably wouldn't still be scrapbooking if not for project life. I do still make other pages, but it was Project Life that got me purchasing product again when I had hit a point when I questioned if maybe I was finished with scrapbooking.  My mother is gone so I'm no longer sharing pages with her - My child is 15 and seldom allows his photo to be taken - Instagram & Facebook have pretty much replaced my blog as a means to share what we're doing with our extended family who lives on the other side of the US...

Then project life and art journaling came alone & gave me something to be interested in again. A way to express myself differently that better fits my life right now. I would never have made a traditional 2 page layout about the crafting classes that I do online, but I talk about them in my project life layouts. I would never have made traditional layouts quoting something funny my boy said, that I'd posted on Facebook & rediscovered... but I write about it in project life. I would NEVER have made 12x12 layouts about what I made for dinner - but since cooking is my hobby - I enjoy remembering those things I made. My project life mentions how I was devastatingly spoiled about a certain plot point in Downton Abbey.  It features grainy selfies of me & my son at breakfast on a rare occasion where he let me take his picture. It has pictures of my feet sitting in the lobby where I've cooled my heels 3 hours a week for the past 7 years.   I don't ONLY do project life and now some of these type of things make it into my traditional scrapbook pages, but I think I would have given up scrapbooking by now - if I hadn't had this mind shift that came about because of Project Life.

I don't think Project Life is hurting the industry - I think, "Thank goodness for project life."

That said when I go to the big box craft store I really am amazed at just how "all in" all the manufacturers seem to have gone with the pocket page trend. I have a craft room full of traditional scrap supplies, at least these little cards are a bit easier to tote to scrapbook retreats and find space for in my craft room.

• Dragonfly, donyaluana and Julie Paradise like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users