• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ruth

Ruth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:15 PM

Hi art journal gurus, I would like to learn art journalling but was wondering where to start, I was considering either Dina Wakely's new book or her art journalling intro class, any one else tried those or have a different suggestion?

I saw the list of youtubers and thatiht be another good alternative?

#2 PaulB

PaulB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom - Manchester

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:43 AM

Different people prefer different ways of learning - some by books, some by videos etc. What works for me however, is to find something I like and copy it. With art journaling I found lots of pages on the internet (Pinterest is excellent for this these days), I'd pick a page I particularly liked and copy it as best I could. It is usually whilst copying that I learn what I enjoy/don't enjoy about putting it together, what I need to practise more if I want to improve and ultimately, how I would do it differently. In short, learning by doing. I make all sorts of mistakes but that's the fun of it and eventually my pages morph into my own style and I can stop copying. 

So if that method appeals, trawl the web, find a page you like the look of and copy it :) Hope this helps xx

• stampartiste and MaryCole like this

#3 Patter

Patter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationGlad to be back in the Carolinas

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:56 AM

I learned by taking classes with Christi Tomlinson and Roben-Marie Smith. I learned so very much. Now I just play, create, and enjoy. I also was a perfectionist, and I love that now I love being messy and embracing the imperfections. It has been a GREAT experience for me and one I love and now incorporate into my scrapping. Have fun!

Patter, Mom to identical triplet girls in college
Asst. DT Coordinator for Blue Fern Studios

#4 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:37 AM

I've mentioned this class already in this forum, but as someone who has never touched a spray mist or bottle of paint, it was so easy to follow!

Tangie tells you exactly what you need to buy and she shows you how to do everything from laying down the paper to printing your own word strips, and even what blank journal to buy that will stand up to the paint. Plus, it's a simple project with just a few pages, so it's a great way to start. I haven't actually broken out the paint yet, but she's making me braver with each video! :)

http://shop.scrapboo...irl-Bundle.html

Wendyzine Scraps

Studio Wendy @ Scrapbookgraphics  •  Photoshop & Elements Instructor

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

#5 stampartiste

stampartiste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Locationsouth Louisiana

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:40 PM

Different people prefer different ways of learning - some by books, some by videos etc. What works for me however, is to find something I like and copy it. With art journaling I found lots of pages on the internet (Pinterest is excellent for this these days), I'd pick a page I particularly liked and copy it as best I could. It is usually whilst copying that I learn what I enjoy/don't enjoy about putting it together, what I need to practise more if I want to improve and ultimately, how I would do it differently. In short, learning by doing. I make all sorts of mistakes but that's the fun of it and eventually my pages morph into my own style and I can stop copying. 

So if that method appeals, trawl the web, find a page you like the look of and copy it :) Hope this helps xx

This is such great advice, Paul.  We have all scraplifted cards and/or layouts at one time or another, why not art journal pages?  And you're right, copying a page is less intimidating and at the same time a great lesson about our own style.

• PaulB likes this

Shirleÿ

#6 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:02 PM

I took classes from Christine Urias at Scrap Time. She has a basic class going on now (or maybe it was last month). I felt I learned from the ground up. I watch videos on you tube as well. It has taken me time to catch on as I need to learn from different people. In the end it's all been the same (whether it was an online class or watching YouTube). I am not really wanting to do an art journal but I like some of the techniques to use in memory keeping. And I like to learn to draw some things. Plants. Zentangles.

#7 cidcm001

cidcm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:23 AM

There's a great FB group called The Document Life Project Group... I am very inspired by that group...

• craftychelle and st1tches1 like this

#8 cathiereed

cathiereed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:10 AM

Dina's classes are fab - online or in person. I would definitely recommend them.

#9 jawebb

jawebb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:32 PM

Something that helped me get started was playing with the supplies that I already had on different kinds of paper to decide what I really liked. At the moment watercolor pencils are my favorite but I'm playing around with gesso and paint. Just doodling with different pens helped me decide which ones I liked best.

#10 Alice Boll

Alice Boll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:56 PM

Kristie Sloan has discussed Art Journaling a lot on her website. Here's a link to a getting started post with a video. Also if you go to the tag cloud in the column on the right and click on the word 'art journaling' you'll see more posts about it! She even has an ebook now that is very fairly priced.

http://kristiesloan....ing-start-here/

I shared my first attempt at art journaling on my blog. I followed steps from a tutorial on Facebook. You can see my post here:

http://scrapbookwond...art-journaling/

It seems like you have plenty of ideas to get you started, now you need to give it a try! Make sure you come back and show us what you get up to!

There are no mistakes in scrapbooking, only opportunities for new creativity!

ScrapbookWonderland.com For the wonders of scrapbooking!

Scrapbook Wonderland on Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users