#1 Scrappy Angel

Scrappy Angel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationBrampton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:25 PM

I'm sure some others do this as well but 3 years ago I was only a scrapper. Was never interested in making cards just to give them away. Then about 3 years ago I decided it was silly to be spending money on cards when I had all the supplies I needed to make those cards at home. I decided that I would approach my card making a little differently than my scrapping. I want to make nice cards but they don't need to be masterpieces with many embellishments. This way they don't take me long and I don't mind giving them away. I can now justify my supplies because I am saving us money every time we don't have to buy a card.
  • Siri F, keely and LizzieB like this

#2 MandyMae

MandyMae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationBetween the Mississippi and the Pacific :)

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:27 PM

Yay!   :)

I started scrapbooking after making cards.  But I stunk cards.  My husband was nervous about me investing more into scrapbooking.  All the while, I did always make cards, but I never enjoyed it.  I made them out of necessity because I didn't want to spend $4 on a Hallmark card when I already had hoards of pretty paper.  

Then I bought my cuttlebug and some dies and cardmaking began to click for me.  After having a few tools, I realized I hated making cards previously because I had very few tools and stamps.  Just a few months ago, I got hooked on Jennifer McGuire and I've been making a TON of cards.  My poor albums are feeling neglected.  LOL...I like cards because I can get a *tiny* bit messy and inky on such a small canvas.  I hate getting messy on my LOs.  

It's fun to have people who "get" it! :)  Although - if I'm being honest, I don't save any money.  I just use the excuse to exceed my scrappy budget! :P

• Ina, Scrappy Angel, keely and 1 other like this

#3 Scrappy Angel

Scrappy Angel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:14 PM

Sshhhhhh! Don't let that secret out...lol
  • Patticlay likes this

#4 Grandma of 9

Grandma of 9

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:02 PM

I have a question....do you make blank cards & write your message or do you print your message when making the card? I have seen some great looking cards, but have always wondered how the inside "words" were handled!

#5 loobylou

loobylou

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:14 AM

I have a question....do you make blank cards & write your message or do you print your message when making the card? I have seen some great looking cards, but have always wondered how the inside "words" were handled!

Sometimes I stamp my message inside the card if I have an appropriate stamp, other times I print a verse/greeting onto a sheet of paper, then diecut a piece of cardstock for the inside of my card , stick to my printed greeting and run thru the printer again to get the greeting on a lovely piece of diecut cardstock. This is a great way to be able to personalise greetings, and can be used on the front of cards too

• Ina and Grandma of 9 like this

#6 StampingRooster

StampingRooster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:19 AM

It's fun to have people who "get" it! :)  Although - if I'm being honest, I don't save any money.  I just use the excuse to exceed my scrappy budget! :P

My favorite is when someone suggests I sell cards . . . or worse, knitting.  Um ... I couldn't sell for the cost of supplies, must less recoup my time. (Not to mention keeping all the Angle policies straight).

• Betsye likes this

Gretchen

Now blogging and posting process videos

#7 Scrappy Angel

Scrappy Angel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:44 AM

Sometimes I stamp my message inside the card if I have an appropriate stamp, other times I print a verse/greeting onto a sheet of paper, then diecut a piece of cardstock for the inside of my card , stick to my printed greeting and run thru the printer again to get the greeting on a lovely piece of diecut cardstock. This is a great way to be able to personalise greetings, and can be used on the front of cards too

I do all of that as well. And sometimes I just hand write my sentiment inside.
  • Grandma of 9 likes this

#8 Grandma of 9

Grandma of 9

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:41 PM

Thanks loobylou, I dont feel comfortable writing the message. Like ur suggestion have used that method on layout journaling, I havent gotten in making cards because never knew how to handle the message. Just might give it a try!

#9 bklyngal62

bklyngal62

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:10 PM

I started making cards because I thought it was going to be an easy way to use up all my scraps.  Little did I konw that my scraps were just not enough. I became addicted to embellishments, stamps and etc.  Not good for my pocketbook when I first started.  

• Patticlay likes this

#10 crafter62

crafter62

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:46 PM

I'm sure some others do this as well but 3 years ago I was only a scrapper. Was never interested in making cards just to give them away. Then about 3 years ago I decided it was silly to be spending money on cards when I had all the supplies I needed to make those cards at home. I decided that I would approach my card making a little differently than my scrapping. I want to make nice cards but they don't need to be masterpieces with many embellishments. This way they don't take me long and I don't mind giving them away. I can now justify my supplies because I am saving us money every time we don't have to buy a card.

I started a card group at my church. We make cards for sympathy, get well, special occasions plus shut-ins, and over nineties to send to church members. It justifies my investment into my crafting passion plus allows me to share my tools with others who want to be creative.
  • Annie, Scrappy Angel and Betsye like this

#11 Scrappy Angel

Scrappy Angel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:10 AM

What a generous and considerate thing to do.

#12 Solange-Isbaha

Solange-Isbaha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:04 AM

I use my scraps on my cards. :)

#13 MandyMae

MandyMae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationBetween the Mississippi and the Pacific :)

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:07 AM

My favorite is when someone suggests I sell cards . . . or worse, knitting.  Um ... I couldn't sell for the cost of supplies, must less recoup my time. (Not to mention keeping all the Angle policies straight).

I know!  My grandma is always encouraging me to sell my cards.  Nope....I don't think anyone would pay enough to justify my time.  I'd MUCH rather just bless people by sending a random card than making a measly amount by selling them.  (And no one would want to buy my knitting!  LOL.....my attempt to learn to knit yielded an iPhone - LOL...we spend a lot of time in the car traveling for our business that I thought I'd take up knitting to pass the time.  One week of that and my husband told me to order an iPhone.  Okay!  No arm twisting here....:) )

• Ina and Betsye like this

#14 Betsye

Betsye

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationRossville, GA

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:30 AM

I do both. I have also been known to use some of Kolette Hall's quotes from the Silhouette online store and let my Silhouette write a sentiment with pens.

• anandi likes this

#15 aliwade

aliwade

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPembrokeshire, United Kingdom

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:50 PM

Hi, everyone. I started making cards back in 2004. I am attempting to get into scrapbooking, but have not done much yet. I mainly craft digitally now, but do still have a good selection of embellishments, ribbon, buttons, papers etc.
A UK crafter - keen to learn and create

#16 scrapnatya

scrapnatya

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:46 AM

I feel guilty if I ever purchase a card. I only have a million dollars worth of craft supplies! I can make a card really fast but sometimes I just can't make it happen!

#17 stampartiste

stampartiste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Locationsouth Louisiana

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:36 PM

I make all my cards, too. It was hard for me to go buy a card for $4-6 and realize I could do it myself. I make about 35 birthday cards a year for my immediate family. Everyone (especially the grandkids) always expresses how much they love my cards. I always try to match the personality of each recipient to the cards I make for them (example: cars, fishing, gymnastics, horses...). So they're very personal. I love it!
  • Ina, JerseyGirlAnne and princessofcute like this

Shirleÿ

#18 Niki

Niki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:39 AM

I like making my own cards because I feel good about using up my scraps, personalizing each one for the recipient, being creative and saving money.  Then I feel better about the money I have invested in tools and supplies :)

• Kimnyy likes this

:) Niki

#19 josch

josch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:33 PM

I started years ago Scrapbooking with a Stampin Up monthly club  w/stamped images made on most of the layouts. A few years ago I started card making and that has taken precedence over my scrapbooking lately. People also often tell me I should sell my cards. But the majority of cards I make seem to take more than one attempt (and when figured out, do try to make at least 2 so I have one to keep as a sample), so if I would pay myself for my time, no one could afford my cards..... It is an enjoyed experience as I can complete a project in less time than a layout. But now that I'm into it, I can't let a relative's or friends special occasion go by without making a hand-made card--don't want any person to be the one to wonder why they didn't get the hand made card. I love watching on-line videos and getting ideas and although I like the simple designs, have more fun with "special technique" and "3-D" cards.

#20 karenhanim

karenhanim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationDanvers, Mass & Istanbul, Turkey

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:10 PM

What are 'The Angle Policies'?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users