• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 lynne

lynne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:16 AM

Wondering if anyone took the recent Creative Live class called "Lightroom for Scrapbookers"? I'm looking for a review of whether you liked it and also if you felt it was truly helpful from a scrapbooking standpoint. I recently loaded Lightroom 4 on my PC and have zero experience with it, so wondering if this class would be good for a beginner.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

ETA: I just saw a thread in the Photography forum with so e Lightroom tips and resources, so will check that out, too!

#2 doglover

doglover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:11 PM

I watched a short piece of it and I thought it was pretty good.  I'm familiar with Lightroom and I picked up a couple of tricks just during the short time I was watching.  I got an email today that it is on sale for $79?

My only concern with purchasing it is having the time to watch it all.

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:30 PM

I haven't taken it, but I'm considering it since I've heard good things from some scrapbookers.  Not ready to take the plunge yet.

#4 aurorwillow

aurorwillow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:10 AM

Wilna Furstenberg has a Lightroom Class on her website iheartstudio.ca It's only 12 dollars. I haven't taken this class but I've taken another class of hers and it was wonderful!

#5 LeslieM

LeslieM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:32 AM

I am familiar with Lightroom, watched part of Lightroom for Scrapbookers during the live streaming and thought there was enough new content to me that I bought it during the live stream at the reduced price they offered.  I haven't had time to watch it all but it is downloadable :D  and I have it on my laptop.  Won't have time to get to it for a while but I liked the fact it covered a wide variety of subjects from backing up to keywording to photography to book printing.  

I double checked both classes:

Lightroom for Scrapbookers: downloadable-12.3 G worth of materials---36 videos plus some textures, Lightroom Presets and PDFs, uses LR 5 (but very much applicable to LR 4)

Wilna's class--not downloadable but she covers some things LR for Scrapbookers does not cover, uses LR 4. 

I read on Katie the Scrapbook Lady's blog ( Former Digishow co-host) that she took a beginning LR class at Lynda.com that was extremely helpful.  I'd recommend starting there.....and then going to the LR for Scrapbookers class.  There are other Creative Live classes offered on Lightroom by the same instructor and maybe those would be good too.  I'm a big fan of being able to download and keep my classes.  

I got my LR training from Kayla's Lamareax's classes (no longer available).  I haven't watched the Lynda.com LR classes but everything they have is topnotch.  Leslie

• mshanhun likes this

#6 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:10 PM

I only got to watch parts of it live and I wasn't sold on buying it. My biggest problem was I got the sense the instructor wasn't really a scrapbooker so although he was trying to teach things they assumed scrapbookers wanted to know, I think it missed the mark a bit (at least for me). The same thing happened with a photoshop class they did years ago for scrapbookers. I'd like to see them do more classes that featured teachers actually in the industry, which they are starting to do. I'm a big fan of Creative Live overall, but this particular class just didn't grab me.

• mshanhun likes this

Wendyzine Scraps

Studio Wendy @ Scrapbookgraphics  •  Photoshop & Elements Instructor

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

#7 lynne

lynne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:05 PM

Thanks so much everyone for your feedback and comments!

I sounds like my concern about the Creative Live class not really being "scrapbooking" oriented might be valid, so I think I'm leaning toward the Lightroom training on Lynda.com.  I've always heard wonderful things about their training, so will probably give them a try.

LeslieM, I always wanted to take that training with Kayla Lamoreaux but never found the time, and then it was gone.  :(  I guess that's what happens when you wait too long!

I have taken other classes with Wilna and she is a wonderful teacher!  I remember when I read the Lightroom class overview, though, it didn't seem quite like what I was looking for.

Thanks again, everyone, for your help!

• aurorwillow likes this

#8 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:18 PM

Let us know how you like the Lynda class! Oh, and if you go to MacPowerUsers podcast, they have a special 7-day trial for Lynda.com.

• mshanhun likes this

Wendyzine Scraps

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

#9 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:14 PM

I only got to watch parts of it live and I wasn't sold on buying it. My biggest problem was I got the sense the instructor wasn't really a scrapbooker so although he was trying to teach things they assumed scrapbookers wanted to know, I think it missed the mark a bit (at least for me). The same thing happened with a photoshop class they did years ago for scrapbookers. I'd like to see them do more classes that featured teachers actually in the industry, which they are starting to do. I'm a big fan of Creative Live overall, but this particular class just didn't grab me.

Wendy are you talking about the 6 month free Photoshop Course segment back in the day? :) I used to love the old Retouch Tuesday or whatever it was back in the day. I've not noticed another scrapbooking class they've done. (Except Michelle Stellings)

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#10 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:08 AM

Melissa, that may have been it. It was quite a long time ago! My memory is not what it used to be when it comes to specifics. LOL

• mshanhun likes this

Wendyzine Scraps

My Gallery

#11 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:06 PM

If BPC runs Library of Memories/Finding Photo Freedom again (I think I read somewhere, 2015?), there are assistant instructors who use LR. Might be worth checking out?
  • mshanhun likes this

#12 LeslieM

LeslieM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:45 AM

Finding Photo Freedom 2013 was great!  The LR instructors were helpful with keywording and organizing via LR>

#13 CookingMyLife

CookingMyLife

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis MD

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:17 PM

I did buy the class after watching a great deal of it but no, Jared is not a scrapper even though his wife is. She, from what I gathered, is a paper scrapper so his focus was on getting the photos ready to print. I do have two other LR classes on CL and I watch them sometimes on vacation. I got my basic 'training' from Kayla Lamaroeux and miss her greatly. I hope she will be able to get time to come back to the scrapping world some day.

I use PSE10/11 and LR5 for my scrapbooking and have one LR catalog for photos and one LR catalog for supplies. While a lot of people say to combine them, I - for good or bad - have too many supplies to add images also. Some times I do import the images I'm working on, e.g. Project Life, to my supply catalog and then delete them afterwards. I love LR more and more all the time and wish that someday there would be a true digital scapper who taught a LR class. Wendy??? ;)

• mshanhun likes this

Maureen

LR5 PSE10/11

iMac/Macbook/Mavericks

iPhone 4s is my only camera!

CookingMyLife

#14 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:55 PM

I would love to teach one, but unfortunately, I don't use it enough to really cover it in-depth. I end up doing very topic-based smaller classes when I feel I can address a subject well. So, I do have a class at Scrapaneers (Part of All Stars #2) that talks about how to create collages for exporting to Lightroom. I also have a video on how to use my Lightroom collage templates that you get when you buy them. But an over-all Lightroom class for scrapbookers would be harder for me because I do so little in it right now. (It's where my photos live, and where I make collages, but that is about all!)

Wendyzine Scraps

My Gallery

#15 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:34 PM

Did anyone ever end up taking Wilna's LR class? Any reviews? I've used LR for a long time, but I'm always looking for new tips/tricks! 

#16 yelppuppy

yelppuppy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:25 AM

I'm very familiar with LR. But it's really an organization tool. It'd be very difficult, more like impossible, to actually make an artistic scrapbook page out of it like photoshop or photo element. You can collage photos in grids in the Print mode but that's about it.

Maybe the class is to teach you how to organize photos and digital elements so you can easily find them to scrapbook?

• janygb143 likes this

#17 LeslieM

LeslieM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:34 PM

Wilna's class is not deep into organization like Kayla's class was.  I haven't watched it in a while but I remember her demonstrating how to take photos of her paper layouts and adjust them in LR to post on her blog.  I think she had many catalogs which I definitely do NOT.  As per Kayla, I have one big catalog.   I loooooooooooove LR for photo organization.  

• janygb143 likes this

#18 LeslieM

LeslieM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:37 PM

I can resurrect my workflow post I typed up a long time ago for another forum but it deals strictly with organizational structure not the creative aspect of LR.  My mom has been really sick this year so I haven't gotten into the LR for Scrapbookers class as much as I had hoped. 

• janygb143 and bestcee like this

#19 allerliebsteanika

allerliebsteanika

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:26 AM

the class by wilna fusternberg is really good! you can easily tell she loves lightroom!

• janygb143 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users