• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 sandyjmac

sandyjmac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:47 PM

I must be atypical.  The first 3 years I did PL, I used almost a whole kit each time (cherry, cobalt, amber) as I did a roughly photo a day approach and wanted consistency throughout the entire album.  Most of the "leftover" cards have been used in other traditional scrapbook pages or in cardmaking.  Usually I could find a way to use the back side of a design I wasn't too keen on.  

I used PL digitally for a travel album and stuck to one core kit for that (plus a diff type of freebie that matched well.)  Again, I was wanting a consistent look to this whole album.  There were probably a bunch of digital cards I didn't use but they don't stare at me saying that I spent money on something I'm not using.  

This year I am using the collect app on my phone, design f and minimal bh products as I like the square look!  It is not strictly daily but roughly weekly - can be up to three pics from one day and none for others.  Mixing it up.

I have also bought other PL kits to use in freer scrapbooking and I doubt I will use up all those cards! 

#42 aurorwillow

aurorwillow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:32 AM

I've been using the Maggie Holmes mini kit with a Studio Calico handbook and I'd say that kit will be killed by the end of the year!

• Ina, alynnkenyon and JuliaK like this

#43 alynnkenyon

alynnkenyon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:34 PM

I've been using the Maggie Holmes mini kit with a Studio Calico handbook and I'd say that kit will be killed by the end of the year!

I used that one up almost already too. What an awesome kit.

#44 JuliaK

JuliaK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationSweden- BorÃ¥s

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

I just started with PL and reading this kind of post about using up a whole core kit makes my think, do I have to? Do you think that same way when/if you buy a 12x12 paper pad? I don´t. The core kits a huge! So what if we don´t use up them or have 10 of them. We do this because we love it so we shouldn´t have to defend our self when it comes to the amount of products we have. Use it, sell it, forget it. What ever... <3

• alynnkenyon and Alissa@lifeonlakeland like this

#45 Blayne White

Blayne White

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:14 PM

I purchased the Midnight kit - and never used it up, even though I like it. I just bought all the Heidi Swapp PL stuff, though. Super cute. Confession - I really don't 'do' Project Life. It's too....I don't know. It's just not me. BUT I do use pocket pages throughout my regular scrapbook pages and I like to have the filler cards for that purpose. I also use the leftovers for cards, gift tags, or I've sold some random leftover stacks at a local consignment sale that has a good turnout. I like to keep things rotated out so I don't become overwhelmed.

• alynnkenyon likes this

Blayne White

Creator, ScrapRoom Software

ScrapRoom. Your Life. Your Design

WebsiteYouTubePinterest, Twitter, Instagram

#46 Niki

Niki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:44 AM

Which Maggie Holmes mini kit?  Flea market or style board?

:) Niki

#47 Scrappin.Char

Scrappin.Char

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:21 AM

I did my 1st year. But not since. I only own three core kits. The blush from HSN, the Just Add Color from HSN, and Dear Lizzy 5th and Frolic. The only one I regret owning is 5th and frolic. I bought it on a whim b.c I wanted to make PL easier this year and decided I would just use the core kit again. But what I realized was I need a break from so much picture taking rather than scrapbooking. So I have not used as much for my PL this year b.c my album is more event based. I have found that I am less likely to grab that core kit than Blush or Just Add a Color. Just Add Color as a whole is not something I love, but the 2x2 and 4x4 cards are great to use. I only use the black and white so I can mix in other colors, that kits works great for that. And I loved the page protectors.

I was thinking that after I get back from vacation, trying to trade some of the cards I have to get variety. I am also trying to use up a lot of them while scrapbooking too. Like cutting images out of them or using them as layers, etc.

I am also starting to prefer the cards others have come out with. Like the new Crate Paper Notes and Things PL cards are fabulous. Great designs, layering built in, and only one version of the card, and heavy cardstock. I loved it so much for scrapbooking I bought another pack. I am also loving Stampin Ups PL cards, b.c the lack of dups and square designs. (Which is why I bought Just Add a Color.)
  • Julie Paradise likes this

#48 Scrapnsee

Scrapnsee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:47 PM

I bought Turquoise a few years ago, sold 1/3 of it and still have tons left. Turns out I don't like it as much as I thought I would.  I think it would be AWESOME if someone did a post about what collection packs go well w/what PL kits.  If I could find something that matches well w/the Turquoise kit, I'd probably use more of it.  But it did convince me NEVER to buy another PL core kit. Just too big for the way I use it. I prefer Studio Calico kits now.

#49 April

April

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:52 AM

I have several core kits and some smaller card collections. I've never used up a whole kit. I find like to jump around and mix things up. I like the idea of a whole album being coordinated, but I find that  can't stick to one color palate or style for that long. I have always scrapbooked out of order & I find that I enjoy scrapbooking so much more when my supplies are also based on what I feel inspired to work with on any given day.

The first 2 core kits that I purchased, I also bought the 12x12 papers because I was afraid I'd want to make something specific and not be able to with just cards. I have never used any of the matching 12x12 papers... but that's not to say I never will. I HAVE sometimes used digital supplies to make cards that match a kit I'm working with when I wanted something specific (or just wanted to make a card with printed journaling on it.)

I've thought of using some of the PL cards from the first core kit I purchased to make flashcards to help my son study for tests (they're not printed with horizontal on one side & vertical on the reverse & I find they're too much of a struggle to scrapbook with). Or maybe I'll make myself a deck of inspirational sayings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users