Photo

What Are Your Top Favorite Tools/supplies For Stamping?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 karenhanim

karenhanim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationDanvers, Mass & Istanbul, Turkey

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:51 AM

I love stamping and am looking for ways to encorporate it into my scrapbooking. Thanks for the tip 'Vintage Plaid' about May's course.

I've taken her stencil class and it was so helpful!

Noell....one thing that has helped me emmensely ( what? Is there no spell check on this? I'm had!) Anyway... Evernote has been a great tool believe it or not!

As part of the Big Picture Organization course I learned about this. I have taken pictures with my Evernote and tagged all of the stamps for their possible uses. I know this sounds like a lot of work, but it has been amazingly helpful. This is especially helpful when I have a group of stamps that I want to keep together but I forget that there is a small 'heart' or 'star' or 'arrow' etc. This way if I want hearts I look in my Evernote under the 'heart' tag and all of the stamps with hearts are pulled up. It has really given me creative inspiration when it comes to using my stamps.

As far as inks go, I really like the VersaFine black ink. I also lable on the top of the inks which ones work with Copics better and which ones work with Tim Holtz Distress inks better.

• Ina, princessofcute and Buckeye In China like this

#22 twinkles

twinkles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 28 June 2014 - 05:08 AM

Good question. My favorite tools for stamping is definitely a foam pad (which came with ctmh stamps) images come out crisp and clear and baby wipes to clean off my stamps.
  • vintageplaid and Theelfqueen like this

#23 Bookworm

Bookworm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:15 AM

In order to use my tinier stamps more in Project Life -- single words, arrows, ampersand, hearts, small flowers -- I reused some packaging to keep all of them together right on my table where I work. (I don't really like breaking up sets of stamps -- ack! -- but I can always put them back if I decide to later. ha, ha)   I think practice helps -- stamp onto scrap paper before you're stamping on your layout. 

• vintageplaid likes this

#24 MandyMae

MandyMae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationBetween the Mississippi and the Pacific :)

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:54 AM

MandyMae

Stampin Up sells a grid paper pad, it`s awesome

Thanks!  I'll contact my rep.

#25 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:41 PM

My favorite stamping tool is Crafters Companion Rock a blocks.

I sometimes use M.S. stamp press and it works pretty good but I still don't always get a good impression. 

I seem to be a stamper that ink jumps on me if I get anywhere near it. .    I  use the little Memento ink pads --the eye shaped ones  and that way I don't have ink all over my fingers or on the clear acrylic blocks .  I have a several different ink pads but I always end up with inky fingers using the bigger pads so I do best with the little ones.   i think the mementos and the versamark are the best for me.

My Rock a blocks are fantasic for not getting ink anywhere but on the stamp and and as long as the stamp is inked up right I get a perfect stamp everytime.  Just absolutely love them. like the name says, there are rockers like a rocking chair on the sides of them and if you put it down on the bottom edge and just rock it to the top edge  (or visa versa)  bam! a perfect image every time even on a hard surface. You don't rock (wiggle them) you just do it in one rolling bottom to top motion. I introduced them to a friend who hated stamping because of not getting good images and now she too can stamp without any problems.  I hated stampiing til I found these.

#26 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:08 PM

Great thread! Lots of good info. I "liked" a few posts. I use a piece of thin craft foam when I'm stamping (or the foam that comes with the sets). Instead of a pad of grid paper I have a stack of newsprint on my desk that I use to test a stamp, stamp off or scribble on etc. Similar to what Wilna uses. When I'm listening to PRT I take notes while scrappin' and can come back to them later. I do like the idea of the grid pad! I recently had some moisture come in contact with a stamped image and the ink ran so I am changing over to permanent inks, ie India ink, archival, stazon, etc.
  • Noell likes this

#27 GwynnAsbury

GwynnAsbury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationMountain View, CA

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:17 PM

@Daisy - I saw your love with the Rock a Blocks and I was curious, have you tried the Impression Obession Mega Mount?  Which have you liked better if you have tried them?  you may have sold a Rock a Block set! lol

#28 ronaba

ronaba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:56 AM

I'm not much of a stamper, but I do find that the Fiskars Stamp press helps.

I'm also liking Tim Holtz new round ink applicators for inking edges - although that's not stamping.

#29 scrapstitcher

scrapstitcher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:36 PM

there are a lot of great stamping tips on this thread. one of my favorite stamping tools is the stamp-a-ma-jig.

72276382-d21a-476b-8b73-2dc8e841b513_zps

#30 jcannonmt

jcannonmt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMissoula, MT

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:14 AM

Couple of comments that ring true for me too. . . .Jennifer McGuire rocks! and is my go-to source for stretching my stamps.  Love her almost as much as I love Paperclipping :-) And allowing the time for playing and experimenting has helped increase my confidence.  Stamping off the page, masking, twisting and turning stamps and stamping in tone-on-tone can sometimes make me see a stamp in brand new ways.

• Noell likes this

#31 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:58 AM

Gwynn, I have not tried the Impression Obsession that you mentioned. I was such a horrible stamper
and couldn't for the life of me get a good impression until I saw and ad for the rock a blocks and decided to order them. I always got ink on me or the clear block and would get it on my paper.

With these I test it once to make sure I'm getting the stamp inked right then stamp it. I love love my rock a blocks. You don't see them around much and one time I went to Archivers and they had several sets all on clearance--about $4 a set. I told my friends about them and they all cleaned out the store of them.. wish I had bought an extra set at the time. I think they hadn't sold well because people didn't really know what they were and how they worked. They do have a grid on them so you can get your stamp on them straight. They are purple in color but you can see perfectly thru them.

Even with the stamp press type of blocks you can miss getting some of the impression, but my trusty rockers always work. (I should be a saleslady for C.C.) :)

#32 janannemd

janannemd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationFort Worth Texas

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:26 PM

Thank you all for the great ideas!  Now I also want to take May's classes!  I also learned at a Creative Keepsakes Convention to swipe a new stamp across your jeans or tap them on your arm.  It seems to work pretty well too.  I'll try the eraser trick too.  I love my black Memento ink for basic black stamping and for using with Copics.  Copics- another subject I need to learn a LOT about!

#33 characterfan

characterfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:25 AM

Tim Holtz Blocks 

Hero Arts Shadow Inks: Chalkboard, Tide Pool, Lemon Yellow, Bubble Gum, Red Royal, Green Hills, Grape Juice, Cup of Joe, Charcoal. 

Memento Tuxedo Black-for Copics 

A foam mat. I use the mat from We R Sew Easy Set

Baby Wipes

Post-It Tape-for masking 

#34 gingerblue

gingerblue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMarco Island, FL

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:51 PM

- mousepad under the paper I am stamping for an even coverage with the stamp.

- I bring the inkpad to the stamp, and not vice-versa. I find I get better coverage that way. I also test stamp larger images first to see if I am over/under inking. Then I re-ink and stamp.

- White/Gold Stayzon inks for resist stamping, instead of the whole embossing powder thing (I do that, too, but white Stayzon resists a lot of inks!)

- I put all my smaller unmounted stamps in Stampendous Stuftainers clear clamshell boxes and it's made my life 100000x easier- I can flip through the boxes to see exactly what stamps I have and find the ones I want to use, and I can store them vertically on my bookshelf. 

- I store all my large background stamps in one huge 4" thick binder using EZ Mount pages.

I would love to stamp more, too. I love stamps, and have a lovely collection. I just don't use them enough. But I appreciate the beautiful images, and do use them for a bunch of different kinds of creative projects, so I let myself splurge every so often on cool sets. 

chel in Marco Island, FL

http://gingerblue.com

#35 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:48 PM

I use the two tiered clip it up tower to hang most all my my clear stamps. I keep them in their plastic bags and if they don't have one I put them in zip baggies. I have them divided by catagories--flowers, animals, backgrounds, christmas, words etc. etc. This works for me because you can just
twirl it around and see everything you have.
I have some like my Anna Griffin stamps in a 3 ring binder, but if I put all my clear stamps in binders they would take up to much room. I have tried different things but haven't found anything better than the clip up so far.

#36 Elliejoe

Elliejoe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:19 PM

1.  One of the best things I did was take a basic solid stamp and stamp all my inks with that one stamp.  That way I know exactly what color I want, the labels aren't always accurate enough for me.  I could have labeled them but I just put them in the same family (SU) and that was enough for me. Others I did write what stamp pad it was underneath.  Nice thing is you only have to do that big job once and then when you get new pads just stamp on your reference sheet one more time.

2.  USE A FOAM SHEET!!! Smartest thing ever.  I bought a thin black foam sheet then my 11 year daughter cut it up for something which of course URKED me.  But it was an excuse to go buy a thicker one.  Putting foam under the paper and stamping with acrylic stamps makes the stamp come out PERFECT!

#37 jemi

jemi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationWest Michigan

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:08 PM

I have always broken up my rubber stamp sets into categories: botanicals, birds and butterflies, trees and leaves, on-and-on-and-on. I mark the outside of the plastic containers.  But I keep Papertrey Ink sets and some Stampin"Up sets in their cases. At the very beginning, I began keeping a Levenger Circa Junior notebook with dividers, and stamp every image into the book(s). I don't put a stamp away until its entered.  For sets that have both sentiments and images, I stamp the entire set in the category, and stamp the sentiment again in a "Word" category-noting the set.  If I have dies, I add a note on the stamped page. And I note the manufacturer. So I can leaf through my Circa notebooks any time to see what I have.  A godsend.  I can't imagine starting this if you have accumulated lots and lots of stamps, but would be an idea if you re just startiing.

• Laura and cindi like this

Janet

#38 cindi

cindi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Pacific Northwest

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:23 PM

Good paper, good ink and quality stamps are the best way to start! I use Neenah Solar White c/s., Versafine ink (Memento if using Copics) and good quality stamps. I also like to stamp my image on scrap paper first to see how much pressure I need to get a good image. Different inks are used for different purposes, so it is so hard to say what to use! I like versafine for it's crisp images no matter what kind of stamp you are using, and you can emboss if you choose, but dries quickly if you don't. Down side is that they don't have a lot of colors  :(

~ Cindi

craft blog camanocardmaker

my blog flourishesandbling

Cindi's Pinterest

#39 Buckeye In China

Buckeye In China

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationXiamen, China

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:51 AM

best tool for me is a grid paper pad, it helps in many ways

- if you place the paper you are going to stamp on top of it, it gives you a little bit of a cushion so your stamped image comes out crisp and clean

- it helps you to line up your stamp image on your paper

- it gives you a place to "stamp off" so that you can stamp a softer or shadow image

- great place to test your image before you stamp your project

- you can make notes about what you are working on,  stamp names, practice stamping for fit, doodle a layout idea,  etc

Such a great idea! I have a grid paper pad that has been in the office supplies for a long time and I could never decide what I should be using it for! Well, it's coming out of the box now! Thanks!

009d57ca8f9018d6c36993f328f8b668.png  

in sunny  B), way too hot & humid Xiamen, China

#40 Buckeye In China

Buckeye In China

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationXiamen, China

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:54 AM

I've also found stamping with an old, unused mouse pad under the paper helps the image come out better. 

009d57ca8f9018d6c36993f328f8b668.png  

in sunny  B), way too hot & humid Xiamen, China

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users