Photo

What Are Your Top Favorite Tools/supplies For Stamping?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:43 PM

I'm such a lame stamper. I would like to get better at it. What tools are supplies are the most helpful for you in getting good stamping results?

#2 VexedAngel

VexedAngel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:23 PM

My white eraser on the end of my mechanical pencils! LOL seriously though. You have to condition the stamps, run the eraser over them to remove residue from manufacturing.

I know a lot of people swear by the hero arts midtone inks but I use my distress inks just fine.
  • Carol and Highflo7 like this

#3 Siri F

Siri F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationÃ…lesund, Norway

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:35 PM

My Easy stamp Press from Fiskars. It makes lining everything up so easy :-)
  • StampingRooster, CindyP, scrappinpage and 2 others like this
I don't mind fuzzy cutting, but don't get me started on watching glue dry!

#4 soapHOUSEmama

soapHOUSEmama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:44 PM

not really a tool, but more of a habit/technique... I keep my most frequently used and or favorite stamps mounted and on my desk in plain view. I am too lazy to pull the cute little stamps out of their nice little packages and put them back every time. I just load up on the dollar store acrylic blocks from the dollar section at Michaels and have all my little stamps on those. I found once I did that, I use my stamps a lot more. When I get tired of a stamp, I just put it away and mount another one to have out for awhile. 

• Siri F, Ina, WallyAgain and 10 others like this

#5 pinkkitchenstudio

pinkkitchenstudio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:11 PM

I'm not a stickler for cleaning my stamps immediately, so I scrub them all at once another time. But I do like to keep several of the stamp cleaning scrubber trays handy, if I am working with lots of ink colors.

#6 Loopyg

Loopyg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:26 PM

I LOVE my Stamp-a-ma-jig. Use it almost every time I make a card.

• Dragonfly and cindi like this

#7 GwynnAsbury

GwynnAsbury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationMountain View, CA

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:32 PM

I have to second the Stamp-a-ma-jig.  In addition to a good heavy set of acrylic blocks with a groove in the side - I use the Stampin' Up Blocks.  AND I have found that a pad of paper under the things that I am stamping on to - it results in a better and more crisp image.

• cindi likes this

#8 MandyMae

MandyMae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationBetween the Mississippi and the Pacific :)

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:48 PM

I've avoided stamping like the plague for years.  In the last three months or so I have begun stamping and LOVE it!  I always avoided it because I don't like wood stamps, and (probably more so) I thought everything had to be colored and I don't have the patience to color a stamped image.  I started following Jennifer McGuire's blog a few months ago and have been HOOKED since!  She's my card hero.  Sigh.  LOL

• CindyP, Highflo7 and st1tches1 like this

#9 annettef

annettef

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationOakfield, Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:54 PM

best tool for me is a grid paper pad, it helps in many ways

- if you place the paper you are going to stamp on top of it, it gives you a little bit of a cushion so your stamped image comes out crisp and clean

- it helps you to line up your stamp image on your paper

- it gives you a place to "stamp off" so that you can stamp a softer or shadow image

- great place to test your image before you stamp your project

- you can make notes about what you are working on,  stamp names, practice stamping for fit, doodle a layout idea,  etc

• CindyP, Bookworm, MiaScraps and 4 others like this

#10 Tanja

Tanja

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:03 PM

A good ink is essential for getting good impressions with clear stamps. I like VersaFine, or Archival Ink for mixed media projects (StazOn is also good).

• MiaScraps, Carol, cindi and 1 other like this

#11 Wren176

Wren176

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:10 PM

Pinkkitchenstudio I think I recognize you from the swap board at 2peas. Are you Jenn?

My favorite tools are my SU markers that I use to color stamps and lately my watercolor brushes. I have been water coloring flowers and then stamping an outline over top. I also use 2 sheets of fun foam under whatever I am stamping and it does help create crisper images.

#12 MandyMae

MandyMae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationBetween the Mississippi and the Pacific :)

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:14 PM

best tool for me is a grid paper pad, it helps in many ways

- if you place the paper you are going to stamp on top of it, it gives you a little bit of a cushion so your stamped image comes out crisp and clean

- it helps you to line up your stamp image on your paper

- it gives you a place to "stamp off" so that you can stamp a softer or shadow image

- great place to test your image before you stamp your project

- you can make notes about what you are working on,  stamp names, practice stamping for fit, doodle a layout idea,  etc

Brilliant!!  Now I need to add graph paper to my shopping list!  

• st1tches1 likes this

#13 annettef

annettef

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationOakfield, Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:24 PM

MandyMae

Stampin Up sells a grid paper pad, it`s awesome

#14 Scrappy Angel

Scrappy Angel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationBrampton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:17 PM

I guess my tip to use your stamps more is to make sure that you love the stamps you have and flip through them regularly to refresh your mind as to what you have. Also you could try leaving out your fav two or three sets so they are in sight when you are "creating".
  • Wren176 and st1tches1 like this

#15 scrappinpage

scrappinpage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationNorthern Wisconsin (BRRR...)

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:40 PM

I agree with above poster about the Fiskars Stamp Press! Also, I have a sheet of foam under my craft mat for cushion so I get a good image!
  • Wren176 likes this
Wendy aka: scrappinpage

#16 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:54 PM

Noell, first of all, nothing about you is lame. You are awesome. :D

I think stamping is mostly about practice and playing, learning what you like, learning what works and what doesn't. Obviously, good stamps are great, and there are dozens of manufacturers to choose from. One tip I learned from May Flaum is to "season" your clear stamps by stamping with a permanent ink like Ranger's Archival a few times. I had never heard of this before May, and it totally works. It reduces the ink "pooling" effect that looks like spots when stamping with regular dye ink, like Distress.

I do tend to like rubber stamps, wood blocks or cling type, because the image is just crisper, but the clear are easier to place because, of course, you can see through them.

I hope you will explore stamping more and enjoy yourself with it! 

• Noell likes this

#17 GwynnAsbury

GwynnAsbury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationMountain View, CA

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:16 PM

Another way to season your stamps is to erase with an eraser before using the image for the first time.

• Carol likes this

#18 scraphappyinjax

scraphappyinjax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNE Florida

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:37 PM

Have to agree a foam pad under the cardstock has made a huge difference in the crispness of my stamped image. I also think having the right kind of ink for the type of stamp you are using is very important too. The old style Stampin' Up! (linen pad) were the worst w/ photopolymer stamps. The firm foam pads SU! introduced a couple of years ago eliminated this problem.
  • Solange-Isbaha likes this
www.iStampin.com

#19 vintageplaid

vintageplaid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:32 PM

I am a newbie stamper, too, always said I would not get into stamping...I caved.   :lol:   Here are a few of my thoughts.

1.  May Flaum has a great little class "Stamping for Scrapbookers" on her website http://craftwithmay.com.  

2.  I have found I can use pretty much any ink with rubber stamps.  I use mostly Ranger Ink pads, both Distress and Archival.  Works great.  Have some Hero Arts shadow ink which I like.  I bought one Heidi Swapp ink pad and that works great. Oh, and I have some Close To My Heart ink pads.  They are also very nice, but I have trouble opening them (if you have one you know what I mean).  

3.  I wipe off my rubber stamps with a baby wipe, but don't clean them with cleaner.  If Tim Holtz doesn't clean his stamps I don't need to either.  He discussed stamps and ink at length in his Creative Chemistry 101 class and it was extremely helpful!

4.  I also enjoy using my clear stamps and have gotten good results by using archival inks (not distress, although as Melissa said in the comment above, you can use distress if you first season them with archival.  I haven't had very good results with that, though).  I only wipe these off with a baby wipe also...nothing else.  Best results with clear stamps especially, come with a little padding under the paper you are stamping.  That bit of cushion gives a better image.  I saw a CTMH video where the person demonstrating (this was their top PR person, sorry I can't remember her name) rubbed the new clear stamp along her arm to season it.  I have had better results with that than an eraser. 

5.  I almost always use dye inks, not pigment inks.  If I want to do some embossing, pigment is the way to go, though, because they have longer drying times.  Pigment inks work very well on clear stamps.

6.  I need to go back and review my May Flaum and Tim Holtz classes...they have fabulous ideas for how to use stamps!

7.  I got some great advice about scrapbooking from the PRT:  Practice, practice, practice!  I think the same would apply to stamping!

• karenhanim, Melissa and st1tches1 like this

~barbara~ B)

#20 pinkkitchenstudio

pinkkitchenstudio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:18 PM

Pinkkitchenstudio I think I recognize you from the swap board at 2peas. Are you Jenn?

Yes it's me!! Happy to see you !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users