8 replies to this topic

#1 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 11:20 AM

It's still 110+ degrees out in Arizona, but school is already starting back up, so to me, that signals the start of fall! What crafty things do you hope to work on in the next season? What have you been up to lately?

#2 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 11:29 AM

I have a few summer layouts to finish up, and I also need to work on those neglected "About Me" albums (just adding photos and papers, journaling is done).

I finally completed my giant memorabilia scanning/purging project. It feels so good to have that done! I'd been so heavily focused on that, I've been putting aside creative stuff. I felt like I could use a "rail" (old PRT episode :)) to help me focus my projects, so I decided to retake Stacy Julian's Inspired Scrapbooking class! I'm spending about 1-2 weeks per lesson, and it works out perfectly to finish by the end of 2016! If anyone is interested in retaking it with me, I'll set up a thread.
  • anandi and nicolemann9 like this

#3 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:29 PM

Hey, good for you on getting that project done! That is so awesome!

I'm really hoping to focus on scrapbooking my first wedding in the fall, since the theme was "autumn leaves," and it's been 14 years, already! I have plenty of autumn themed stuff, so that should inspire me.

• janygb143 likes this

#4 nicolemann9

nicolemann9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 09:57 PM

Lately I've been working on some pages from our trip to Yellowstone six years ago, as well as some fun ones about our son. I've also been working on practicing my handlettering/brush script... so a bunch of random things! ha! I'm actually finding jumping between a bunch of stuff is keeping me more motivated, since I'm just doing whatever I feel like at the moment! (I would have thought I would have been the opposite).

I've also been pondering what to do with my Project Life album... I was plugging along, doing a great job of getting it done weekly until a death in the family (my husband's Grandma) kind of derailed me at the end of March. I didn't know how I should capture it in our album, plus, just felt really unmotivated to scrap at the time, so I just stalled out there. I started printing out pictures again recently, with the idea of doing current weeks, and catching up at the same time, but I am just not feeling motivated to do it. And even looking back at my album so far... I'm not loving it. I love a few individual spreads, but it's kind of feeling disjointed. For some back story, I completed a full year of Project Life in 2013, doing it digitally. I had a go doing it with physical product in 2014, and finished about 70% of the year (I was also pregnant from January-September, and feeling sick and sooo tired, so I was happy I even got that much done...) I skipped doing it 2015 and missed having something to document our daily life, and decided to try it again in 2016, once again physical - mainly because I sub to Ali Edwards' Story Kit and wanted somewhere to be able to use a bulk of the product from it. Now I am feeling like I would really rather just do it digitally again - the only time I actually completed a full year was the year I did it digitally. Plus, I am a 'computer person', and feel like I could more efficiently get something on that scale done on my computer, and leave the physical scrapbooking to more 'traditional' style scrapbooking. I am feeling really torn, and am just trying to figure out what to do... any input would be welcome!

As for what I want to work on next... I want to finish up my WITL album (it's about halfway done), and just continue doing whatever I feel motivated to do - most likely some more Yellowstone pages, and some pages about our boys. I ordered some stuff from the Crate Paper Cool Kid line, so I'm looking forward to putting that to use! I also need to continue working on cleaning up my digital mess of photos... a boring task, but one that really needs to get done, nonetheless!

#5 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:28 AM

Nicole, I can so relate to the Project Life issue. I've only dabbled in digital, and only on the app, but I have my album a little over half completed for 2015, and it's stalled.

My first advice to you is to do what feels best, what motivates you most. If digital works for you, do the rest of the year digitally. The supplies from Ali's story kits can easily be adapted to traditional layouts, so they won't go to waste.

As for struggling with how to document the loss of your husband's grandmother, I can relate to that, too, as I had two difficult things to document in the first half of 2015, including the loss of my mother to dementia and pancreatic cancer in April. I remember one side of a spread I used pretty patterned paper my mother would've loved in all the pockets, and I included one card with a quote that soothed me, which I printed from the computer. That page serves as a tribute to my mother, as well as an interlude in the thread of the album, kind of a "quiet place" in the midst of all the activity before and after. Not sure if that helps, but that's what I did.

I hope you are able to finish your WITL. I'm still not done with the one I started in 2015. Seems like I'm always chasing my tail a bit. :)

• anandi and nicolemann9 like this

#6 nicolemann9

nicolemann9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 10:26 AM

janygb143, Is there somewhere you are taking Stacy's Inspired Scrapbooking class? I signed up for it when it was on the old BPC, and I'd saved the material for the first 4 months to my computer, but apparently stopped after that... I was just wondering if there was still somewhere to access the material. If so, I may be interested in re-doing it with you!

And thank you for your input Melissa, it was helpful :) I think I am going to go forward doing it digitally, starting with July. And you're right about the Story Kits easily adapting to traditional layouts. At the beginning of the year, I wasn't really doing traditional layouts, so that was part of my reasoning for doing PL physically - but now that I'm getting more comfortable and into the swing of doing traditional physical layouts, I can easily use the kits for those. Plus, my sub is almost up, and I think I am going to take a break from it for a while once it is. I really love the kits, but they're piling up, plus I'm loving a lot of other products out there right now, and my scrapping budget isn't that big! It's also nice that Ali is slowly coming out with more products for her brand apart from the kits.

And so sorry to hear about your mother. That sounds like a beautiful way to pay tribute to her in your album. I think I will do something similar. I like the idea of the 'quiet place' in the midst of everything else. 

WITL is my favourite recurring project, so I know I'll get it done... it's just actually sitting down to do it. I'm pretty detailed in what I record for this project, so each day usually takes me a few scrapping sessions to complete. I have one layout on the go right now, but once I'm done that, my goal is to do one more 'day' for the album. :) As long as I'm done it by the next time WITL rolls around I'll be happy! haha.

• Melissa likes this

#7 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:11 PM

@Nicole, 

I agree with Melissa's recommendation to just do PL Digital for the rest of the year! Something that's also helped me "keep up" with PL since 2013 is doing it monthly. I use two Core Kits for a Design A monthly spread, and I use baseball card inserts (pre-cut pieces) to add in physical crafty stuff or in-the-moment journaling. It's a lot less pressure than I think I would have if I did weekly! And I'm kind of in the opposite boat - I do digital layouts, so physical PL is my "traditional" scrapbooking fix and gives me an excuse to buy cute paper stuff! Just another idea for you if you decide to go back and do traditional layouts :) 

The new Big Picture Classes has all the big classes transferred over to their new site! You don't have to be a subscribing member to access the old courses, you just have to make a login (your Ali Edwards login will work) and the classes should be there. I can't remember if there was a code that they sent via email, but I'm sure you can ask customer service if the classes aren't showing. It'll be so fun to have you along! I'll try to get my "schedule" posted in another thread. 

@Melissa, 

I LOVE the idea of using a piece of patterned paper to honor your mom. That's really cool! 

• Melissa and nicolemann9 like this

#8 Ingunn

Ingunn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 28 August 2016 - 04:34 PM

Hi guys! I've felt totally unmotivated to scrapbook since this spring when morning sickness hit (boo to morning sickness but huzzah to the reason for it!), but something about the cooler weather now has suddenly sparked something in me. Today I started listening to the Story-Centered Album audio course again and dug out some old issues of Simple Scrapbooks, and now I feel so inspired. The second my kid goes to bed tonight, I am so making a page! 

As for projects, I want to try another Week in the Life project while we're still a family of three, and I want to get some crucial baby layouts made for Nora before another little one comes along and steals the spotlight. 

• janygb143 and Melissa like this

#9 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:35 AM

Haha yay for SCA and SS! I love that... "Steals the spotlight".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users