13 replies to this topic

#1 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:03 PM

I read this question on a Facebook group, and I thought it would be an interesting conversation starter here.

What advice do you wish you were given when you first started scrapbooking?

• janygb143, Maplestock and nicolemann9 like this

#2 nicolemann9

nicolemann9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:44 PM

Hmmm, that's a good question!

I feel like I'm still a fairly new scrapper, so there's probably I still have to 'learn', but one thing I wish I would have started doing sooner was buying collections (or at least a decent amount of product from one collection). When I started scrapping I would just buy a few pieces of paper here and there, and random embellishments, that I just basically thought were cute, with no real rhyme or reason. And that would probably work for some people. But I've come to realize that I work better with some kind of coordinating kit, where everything already goes together creating a more cohesive look. Or making your own kits like Noell has shown in Paperclipping videos. I've started doing that myself and am having much more fun scrapping since!

Also, for beginners, scraplift to find your style, or to just become more comfortable scrapping. That's another thing I've been doing lately whenever I feel stuck, and it's turned into some really awesome pages. If I'm sharing anywhere on social media, I just am sure to credit the person I scraplifted from. 

And one more thing, is to learn some fundamental design principles. Since I started out digitally, I mostly just used templates anytime I made a page, and stuck to them pretty closely (and used a LOT of Cathy Zielske ones... and design is kind of her thing). So I could easily recognize what looked good, and could somewhat replicate that, but I didn't necessarily know why it worked . And now, in the last few months after bingeing on Paperclipping videos, I feel like I am starting to get a handle on some really helpful design aspects, and how/why they make a page look good. I really appreciate how Noell kind of describes every little reason why she puts things where she does, or why she uses certain embellishments or papers, etc. I feel like after watching a bunch of her videos all in a short span of time, and hearing those fundamentals discussed over and over, I am comfortable enough to start putting pages together myself, without going straight off of a sketch/template, or scraplifting from someone. Or even if I do use a sketch, I'm just much more comfortable using it as a jumping off point to get a page started. 

Just a few things I thought of right away...

Also, thanks so much Melissa for starting all these great conversations! I love participating and chatting and being part of the community, but am horrible at coming up with ideas of things to talk about myself...  :unsure: Haha!

• janygb143, Melissa, MiaScraps and 2 others like this

#3 Krystal K

Krystal K

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationAnchorage AK

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:31 PM

When you feel yourself getting FOMO, pause before purchasing. There are many things I purchased just because my friends did, they raved about it so hard, that I thought for sure I would love it.

Also, don't watch haul videos. They create more FOMO.

Finally, don't beat yourself up if you don't scrapbook for a period of time. It is okay to take a break and do something else. I usually enjoy my hobby more after a break.
  • janygb143, Melissa and anandi like this

#4 Maplestock

Maplestock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, CANADA

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:04 PM

My introduction to scrapbooking, like a lot of us I think, was through a Creative Memories party. There were good tips shared about the importance of protecting your pictures and preserving the memories but it would probably have been better to teach a few design principles to create pages more pleasing to the eye. When I look back at my first few albums I shake my head. I agree with nicolemann9 about how well Noell explains design in her videos and how much I have learned from watching them.
One piece of advice that I was given that I still try to remember today - especially when I'm struggling with a layout - is that years from now when my children's' children are looking at my albums they will not notice if a picture isn't perfectly straight or my writing is a bit messy. But photos gathering dust in an old shoebox can't say a thing!

Thanks again Melissa for starting a great conversation. Maybe we could also share a piece of advice that we were given starting out that was helpful then and today.
  • janygb143, Melissa and MiaScraps like this

#5 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:40 AM

1. Scraplift. A lot. It'll teach you about design. It's not "cheating".

2. Use sketches. It's not "cheating" either.

3. It'll take you a while to find YOUR style. Keep making stuff and enjoy the process.

4. It's ok to make bad stuff, and to throw it away. Don't expect everything to be an album-worthy masterpiece.

5. The only way to get good at something is to practice. Make a lot of stuff.

6. Just because you bought it doesn't mean you need to keep it if you never use it, don't like it, or realize it's not your style.  Give it away - someone else will appreciate it.

7. It's supposed to be fun. Don't agonize about being "behind". Appreciate what you HAVE done instead of lamenting about what you haven't.

• janygb143, Melissa, MiaScraps and 3 others like this

#6 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 28 July 2016 - 07:13 PM

I wish someone had told me not to rip up the albums I made before I found scrapbooking magazines and online. I can't get them back and that makes me sad now. I thought I was doing it all wrong, but upon reflection I wasn't. There are no rules in memory keeping. Do what makes your heart sing.
  • janygb143, Melissa, mshanhun and 3 others like this

#7 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 06:32 AM

I'm so lucky that there aren't many things I regret or felt like I've done "wrong" in my 10 (this year!!) years of digital scrapbooking! But here are some things I would tell someone new, based on my "successful" history:
- Scott Kelby books for photography/learning Photoshop/Lightroom
- Lightroom to organize pictures
- Read Stacy Julian and Cathy Zielske for guidance on philosophy and simplicity
- Find old issues of Simple Scrapbooks magazine
- it's art. Sometimes it's amazing, sometimes it sucks big time, just put it on a shelf and laugh about your "style" later
- Photos + words are enough!
- Organize/purge old pictures before scanning, so you're not digging through thousands of unlabeled
files
- It takes time. Time won't magically stop to let you create new things, so you'll have to invest the time somehow
- It has huge potential to be therapeutic! And will bring so much joy and accomplishment
- Simple buying (as noted above). Go with your gut/the "sparks joy" principle when buying stuff
  • Melissa and anandi like this

#8 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 01:07 PM

I wasted so much time collecting digital freebies when I should have been scrapping. I've also learned that so many of those things were just not very good quality. Now that I understand how important a few sales can be to a designer, I'd much rather just buy what I need/want as I have the budget and skip the freebies unless I'm trying to sample something from a new designer.

Wendyzine Scraps

Studio Wendy @ Scrapbookgraphics  •  Photoshop & Elements Instructor

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

#9 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:30 PM

@Wendy so true about the quality! Good point!

#10 The Other Caroline

The Other Caroline

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationMy Scrap Room

Posted 12 August 2016 - 04:44 PM

I started scrapbooking twenty years ago, with a kit I found at Costco. I had tons of wedding photos and this seemed the perfect solution.

My advice to my younger self would be to never, ever crop photos into weird shapes with funky scissors!  I could cry when I see the damage I did to perfectly good photos. 

Also, don't buy twelve of the same paper thinking you'll "need it someday". You won't. Something newer and prettier will come out, and the old stuff will not appeal to you anymore.

• janygb143, Melissa, Maplestock and 1 other like this

Caroline, Formerly "Purple Sparkles"

#11 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 18 August 2016 - 01:28 AM

I wasted so much time collecting digital freebies when I should have been scrapping. I've also learned that so many of those things were just not very good quality. Now that I understand how important a few sales can be to a designer, I'd much rather just buy what I need/want as I have the budget and skip the freebies unless I'm trying to sample something from a new designer.

Oh yes!! I'm sure I did more freebie hunting in my first few years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#12 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 18 August 2016 - 01:30 AM

1. Start with what inspires you (don't feel you have to catch up)

2. use your favourite stuff while you still like it!

3. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#13 boymom

boymom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:38 PM

1. Just SCRAP instead of spending most of your free time on the internet! ;)  

2. Don't compare your layouts to other people's work; love your own creations! Comparison is the thief of joy.

• janygb143 and Melissa like this

#14 nana2callie

nana2callie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 07:04 AM

Scrap what inspires you - memories recorded a little out of chronological order is way better than not at all - waiting to get "caught up" so you can scrap today's event!

• janygb143 and Melissa like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users