10 replies to this topic

#1 janeo8760

janeo8760

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 11:02 AM

Hello everyone,

I cannot believe this!!! I had to purchase a new laptop this year and of course it has Windows 10 which means you cannot use any "borrowed" software and my copy of Photoshop came from a friend in the graphics field. So....I can't afford the full Photoshop so bought Elements 13. How hard could this be right if you already know Photoshop? AUUGGGGHHHHH It is driving me nuts. The shortcuts I used to know are different in a lot of cases. I have been trying to figure out what the heck is going on when I try to add a photo above a layer and make a clipping mask and the photo just disappears!!!!!

And...before I add the photo I make sure the layer I want it above is highlighted yet when I drag in the photo it lands at the top of my layers stack!

Anyone know a great place to learn Photoshop Elements 13. This seems crazy to me but apparently I need help.

Thanks

Jane

#2 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 28 July 2016 - 07:49 PM

Maybe Melissa H. has a course on her website. I don't know the name of her website offhand. She is a member here and knows PE inside out!

Mshanhun is her profile name on this forum
  • janygb143 and mshanhun like this

#3 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 28 July 2016 - 11:32 PM

You need to use the shortcut Ctrl+G to create a clipping mask in PSE14 and earlier :)

The dragging issue happened in PSE when they added their FB cover creator.

The layer will come in above the layer that you have to mouse over when you release the button.

It still lands in the centre of the canvas no matter where you release the mouse. It only affects where it lands in the layer stack

Sadly, there's no way around that one and it's terribly frustrating until you get used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • janygb143 likes this

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#4 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 11:33 PM

Maybe Melissa H. has a course on her website. I don't know the name of her website offhand. She is a member here and knows PE inside out!

Mshanhun is her profile name on this forum

I'm Melissa Shanhun (Shannon) and my site is http://digitalscrapbookinghq.com

Thanks for the shoutout :)

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#5 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:20 PM

The thing that drives me crazy is the SHIFT to constrain. PSE doesn't use that! It constrains automatically without Shift and I'm constantly forgetting when I'm in there.

PS lets you change your key commands. I wonder if PSE does? Melissa.... do you know?

• mshanhun likes this

Wendyzine Scraps

Studio Wendy @ Scrapbookgraphics  •  Photoshop & Elements Instructor

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

#6 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:58 PM

The thing that drives me crazy is the SHIFT to constrain. PSE doesn't use that! It constrains automatically without Shift and I'm constantly forgetting when I'm in there.

PS lets you change your key commands. I wonder if PSE does? Melissa.... do you know?

No, unfortunately they don't allow customised key commands. I always set constrain proportions to be on by default in PS and PSE so I don't have to think about it!

Same with autoselect layers, PS has that off by default

#7 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 11:05 AM

No, unfortunately they don't allow customised key commands. I always set constrain proportions to be on by default in PS and PSE so I don't have to think about it!

Oooh, you can do that? So how do you "unconstrain" if you need to, press shift?

#8 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 01:05 PM

Oooh, you can do that? So how do you "unconstrain" if you need to, press shift?

Yes, you then hold the SHIFT to unconstrain. You can set PS to match PSE. But I've been using PS for 25+ years now, so I'm too old to change my shift key. LOL

• mshanhun likes this

Wendyzine Scraps

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

#9 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:31 PM

Haha yeah, I think I'm 10 years now... You're right. Takes too much brainpower to unlearn that!

#10 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 01:03 AM

Haha yeah, I think I'm 10 years now... You're right. Takes too much brainpower to unlearn that!

Come on ladies!! I had to unlearn Publisher, page Maker, Macromedia and Quark shortcuts for PS and PSE ;)

But I hear there are more key changes coming my way soon!

• janygb143 likes this

#11 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 06:08 AM

Yeah, I used to know all those too. Illustrator and InDesign drive me crazy because you'd think that Adobe would match up key commands between their own programs, but they don't always do that!

I'm dreading this new "touch strip" I'm hearing about on the new Apple laptops due out next month. They are supposedly replacing the F-keys with some touchpad strip. Don't mess with my workflow, Apple! 

• janygb143 likes this

Wendyzine Scraps

My Gallery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users