15 replies to this topic

#1 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 08:22 AM

I listened to the latest episode of PRT Thursday, driving from Ann Arbor to the ol' stomping grounds to crop with my friends, and I really enjoyed it. I thought it might be good for us to talk about titles, share our strengths and woes when it comes to titling our pages.

For me, a title serves, as Angie Lucas mentioned in the episode, kind of like a headline of an article: it declares the main theme of the page and ties to the journaling in some way. Sometimes, my titles are simple, one word, but I also like more clever, longer titles. Like the time I used a lyric from a John Mayer song, "It's been a long time since 22." I used pictures of myself at 22 and currently, and the journaling compared and contrasted how I was then to how I was 22 years later. It's one of my favorite pages.

Probably my biggest titling woes is how easy it is to run out of letter stickers I need to make the title I want. It can be very frustrating, kind of like the "rage quit" of video games. I do have a Cameo, and it's on my (long) list of things to do, using that for titles more often.

What about you? What are your favorite titles? Do you tend to do like Amy Tan and use similar words and phrases on more than one page? Are your titles elaborate? Where do you go for title inspiration? What frustrates you most about page titles?

Let's chat!

• janygb143, MiaScraps, Maplestock and 1 other like this

#2 Maplestock

Maplestock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, CANADA

Posted 24 July 2016 - 08:59 AM

Titles are a constant struggle for me. What should the title be? Where should it go? One word? A sentence? Size? I could go on...
I have a rather large collection of alphabet stickers but it amazes me how often I don't have enough for my title. I've tried mixing colours or fonts but it doesn't always go with the feel of the layout.
That's why I use my Cricket most of the time. I have a few different font cartridges and I like that I can customize size and colour. My Cricket is always out and ready whenever I'm scrapbooking. And I've even cut the title twice and used foam dots to give it dimension when needed. And I run the letters through my Xyron sticker maker so I don't have to fuss with glue. Tada!
Noell just recently did a video on titles which I found very helpful.
Making room for journaling is my other struggle.
  • Melissa, MiaScraps and nicolemann9 like this

#3 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 09:16 AM

That's why I use my Cricket most of the time. I have a few different font cartridges and I like that I can customize size and colour. My Cricket is always out and ready whenever I'm scrapbooking. And I've even cut the title twice and used foam dots to give it dimension when needed. And I run the letters through my Xyron sticker maker so I don't have to fuss with glue. Tada!
Noell just recently did a video on titles which I found very helpful.
Making room for journaling is my other struggle.

I REALLY need to get my Cameo set up and in use. I love your idea of cutting the letters/words twice and putting foam between for dimension. That's awesome!

• MiaScraps, anandi and Maplestock like this

#4 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 25 July 2016 - 11:20 AM

If I don't design for it up front, I'll forget about a title. I guess I don't see it *as* essential as the photo or journaling, so I have a bunch of pages without an obvious title.  But the podcast has made me try to come up with titles more often since I do have quite the stash of letter stickers. I love buying them but don't use them that much!  What's hard for me is not coming up with a decent title, it's where to put it! I like a simpler page, and it seems like it's harder to find space for more wordy titles. I guess I should try the one word title thing for a bit.

• janygb143, Melissa, MiaScraps and 2 others like this

#5 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 01:38 PM

If I don't design for it up front, I'll forget about a title. I guess I don't see it *as* essential as the photo or journaling, so I have a bunch of pages without an obvious title.  But the podcast has made me try to come up with titles more often since I do have quite the stash of letter stickers. I love buying them but don't use them that much!  What's hard for me is not coming up with a decent title, it's where to put it! I like a simpler page, and it seems like it's harder to find space for more wordy titles. I guess I should try the one word title thing for a bit.

I agree wholeheartedly that the title isn't as important as the photo and journaling. It's a piece, but definitely not the most important piece. It's interesting how we all have a different approach and different struggles.

• anandi likes this

#6 nicolemann9

nicolemann9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:57 PM

My titles are typically very 'to-the-point', and usually just a word or two about the main point of the page. Looking back at some past pages they have been things like "Evening Ritual", "Morning Routine", "5 Months" (a few things about my son at 5 months old), "30th Birthday Dinner". Haha, you can't get any more basic than that! I'm not opposed to longer titles, or something more clever...I just find those don't come naturally to me. 

When I was digital I found that I used a lot of the word art often included in kits as a title. Now that I've switched to mostly hybrid/physical scrapping I've been just using letter stickers and Thickers to create my titles so far. Or I will print my title out as part of the page, or use digital brushes the odd time.

I don't necessarily figure out my design with my title in mind. I may have an idea about it, but I wouldn't say it dictates my design. Almost all of my pages have titles, but if some don't, it wouldn't bother me too much. That's another thing I found easier about digital scrapping - you could easily make an alpha title whatever size you wanted... In physical, Thickers just come in the size they come in! I agree, the photos and journaling are the most important parts, and often I have little word bits of embellishments that would convey what the page is enough, I suppose like less obvious subtitles. 

I should also pull out my silhouette more often for title work. I love the idea of cutting it twice, and popping up one with foam for dimension!

• Melissa likes this

#7 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:10 AM

My titles are typically very 'to-the-point', and usually just a word or two about the main point of the page. Looking back at some past pages they have been things like "Evening Ritual", "Morning Routine", "5 Months" (a few things about my son at 5 months old), "30th Birthday Dinner". Haha, you can't get any more basic than that! I'm not opposed to longer titles, or something more clever...I just find those don't come naturally to me. 

That's how my titles are, too, Nicole. I consider it a grounding spot for the story, almost. Once in a great while, I come up with something clever, but that just pops into my head. It's not something I put a whole lot of thought into.

• janygb143, MiaScraps and nicolemann9 like this

#8 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:45 AM

My layouts are all digital pages, so they all technically have titles (file names). As a page idea comes to me, I pretty much have a generic title before anything, so I can make a new note about it in my YouNote iPhone app as a place to start collecting ideas. Usually, the title isn't really what ends up on the page. For instance, I recently started a page that I called (in my head and in the app) "Fourth of July Weekend 2016". As I started building the page, I found a word art thing that said "Happy Fourth of July" and I added text that made it read "Scenes from a Happy Fourth of July weekend". Now I count that whole long phrase as the title, and I made sure to put it in the upper left corner to lead into the rest of the photos. I kept the file name as it was originally, to keep things easier!

As far as locating titles on the page, I often overlap it onto the focal point photo, use it as an opening or closing phrase to my journaling, or if I'm doing a grid-based layout, I'll stick it in a square, mostly by itself. Sometimes, If my journaling is long, I'll add a title to the top (bold/center-justified) as if it were a chapter/section in a book. Titles are one of my favorite parts to think about/design, I think!
  • Melissa, MiaScraps, anandi and 1 other like this

#9 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 12:07 PM

Another tip - a friend of mine taught me about cutting the same title (usually a connected cursive word) 5 or 6 times from cardstock and gluing them all together to make your own "thickers".  I suppose you can also do this with unconnected individual letters, but it's more work that way.  It comes out really nicely.

• janygb143, Melissa, MiaScraps and 1 other like this

#10 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 07:43 PM

Ooh, and then what if you add glitter or Glossy accents on top?? Hmmm

Another tip - a friend of mine taught me about cutting the same title (usually a connected cursive word) 5 or 6 times from cardstock and gluing them all together to make your own "thickers". I suppose you can also do this with unconnected individual letters, but it's more work that way. It comes out really nicely.

• Melissa and anandi like this

#11 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:42 AM

Ooh, and then what if you add glitter or Glossy accents on top?? Hmmm

Ooh, this would look cool. I usually do it with patterned paper to give it more interest but haven't tried glossy accents or glitter.  Or those sparkly spray mists would be cool too.

• janygb143 and Melissa like this

#12 Crayolaswap

Crayolaswap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 06:04 PM

I run into the letter sticker thing, too, but luckily since I'm usually scrapbooking my two kids mixing letters works out, since it's more playful. I have a cricut and always intend to use it for more titles but rarely do because it just feels like an extra step and my scraping time is usually limited. I have been having trouble with it lately, too, because the old mat was worn out and wouldn't hold the cardstock down anymore so it slipped while cutting, but the new mats are apparently made with a different adhesive and are way too sticky. The stuff I cut rips when I try to take it off the mats.

• janygb143 and Melissa like this

#13 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 28 July 2016 - 06:55 PM

Great topic! I thumbed thru a couple of albums to refresh my memory. My titles are fairly simplistic. For example, "Did you know?", "Winter", "Generations", some song titles, e.g. "We're here for a good time...", or a person' name, a place, and sometimes no title but I may have made part of a sentence stand out, e.g., "I'm so tired...". I can fret over a title for awhile but I think I like having a title on most pages. Creating titles goes along with creating the page. While thinking up a title can be frustrating, designing them and finding a place on the page is fun for me. And if I can't think of a title I ask someone else in the house for ideas. If no one is around to ask, then I default to simple. My stash of letter stickers is varied and large. Plus I have alphabet dies and a brother scan and cut. If I don't have enough letters in one type, I move onto another choice.

I have used glossy accents on top of letters. It works well to add texture and shine. Crackle paint was fun to use. As well as glitter and sparkly mists.
  • janygb143, Melissa and nicolemann9 like this

#14 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 06:21 AM

@MiaScraps it's so funny that you ask around the house for title ideas! So great :)

I just ran into this problem yesterday- I'm using the lyrics to the Lady Antebellum song "We Owned the Night". Unfortunately, the song title has nothing to do with the page topic, and none of the lyrics on their own mean anything as a stand-out title. So, thanks to this thread, I gave myself permission to just keep it simple- I'm putting the song title in small letter stickers, putting my lyrics and journaling on the page, and calling it a day! :)
  • Melissa, MiaScraps and anandi like this

#15 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:27 AM

Great topic! I thumbed thru a couple of albums to refresh my memory. My titles are fairly simplistic. For example, "Did you know?", "Winter", "Generations", some song titles, e.g. "We're here for a good time...", or a person' name, a place, and sometimes no title but I may have made part of a sentence stand out, e.g., "I'm so tired...". I can fret over a title for awhile but I think I like having a title on most pages. Creating titles goes along with creating the page. While thinking up a title can be frustrating, designing them and finding a place on the page is fun for me. And if I can't think of a title I ask someone else in the house for ideas. If no one is around to ask, then I default to simple. My stash of letter stickers is varied and large. Plus I have alphabet dies and a brother scan and cut. If I don't have enough letters in one type, I move onto another choice.

I have used glossy accents on top of letters. It works well to add texture and shine. Crackle paint was fun to use. As well as glitter and sparkly mists.

This just makes me want to go and make some titles! :D

#16 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:27 AM

@MiaScraps it's so funny that you ask around the house for title ideas! So great :)

I just ran into this problem yesterday- I'm using the lyrics to the Lady Antebellum song "We Owned the Night". Unfortunately, the song title has nothing to do with the page topic, and none of the lyrics on their own mean anything as a stand-out title. So, thanks to this thread, I gave myself permission to just keep it simple- I'm putting the song title in small letter stickers, putting my lyrics and journaling on the page, and calling it a day! :)

Yay! That's what connecting with people in forums is all about! :D

• janygb143 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users