#1 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 19 July 2016 - 11:23 AM

Hey everyone!  I'd love some tips/tricks on how you guys keep up with watching videos (like Paperclipping) or video courses?  I love podcasts and listen to them when I'm in the car or walking, but video requires me to find uninterrupted time and I just haven't been able to find a good "groove" for this.  I hardly watch TV/netflix/ etc so I  don't have that sort of activity built into my schedule that I could just swap out.

I'd love to do it while cooking, chores, etc but I can't watch video AND pay attention to the task at hand.  Any tips/tricks?  When do you guys watch videos?  I have all those Paperclipping videos which are awesome (the few that I've seen), plus a few video courses, and I am struggling with finding the right time/routine to watch.

Am I overthinking this?  Does it really not require focused watching time?  We are not the kind of people to have the TV on in the background, etc so I think that's why I have trouble with this whole thing.  The few videos I've sat down to watch, I really love, and have been inspired, but just can't figure out how to fit these into my life.

Halp :)

• Melissa, MiaScraps and nicolemann9 like this

#2 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 11:24 AM

I suppose I could watch them at work, but somehow that makes me feel super guilty (but posting/reading this forum doesn't, for some reason...)

• Melissa likes this

#3 nicolemann9

nicolemann9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:48 PM

The only chore that I've found where I can actually do the task and pay attention to the videos is doing dishes. I set my iPad up beside my sink - I have it sitting on a flour canister that sits on our counter. I've watched countless scrapbooking videos that way in the last few months. I actually find that perfect for Paperclipping videos, they seem to be the perfect length for how long it usually takes me to do dishes!

And I don't think you are overthinking it! I find I really have to watch and pay attention to the videos for things to sink in. I've tried watching scrapbooking videos while folding laundry, etc., and found I was too distracted.

• Melissa, MiaScraps and anandi like this

#4 Teri H.

Teri H.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationLethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 19 July 2016 - 04:49 PM

The only chore that I've found where I can actually do the task and pay attention to the videos is doing dishes. I set my iPad up beside my sink - I have it sitting on a flour canister that sits on our counter. I've watched countless scrapbooking videos that way in the last few months. I actually find that perfect for Paperclipping videos, they seem to be the perfect length for how long it usually takes me to do dishes!

And I don't think you are overthinking it! I find I really have to watch and pay attention to the videos for things to sink in. I've tried watching scrapbooking videos while folding laundry, etc., and found I was too distracted.

I find folding laundry the BEST time to watch scrapbooking videos! It's such a mindless task...  :D

• mshanhun and MiaScraps like this

Loving the Literary Life

www.thestoryknows.com

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 19 July 2016 - 10:14 PM

I often scrap while watching videos. The video doesn't get my full attention then, but I can listen and look over when necessary. I agree with folding/putting away laundry, too. Makes the chore go must faster!

• Melissa and MiaScraps like this

#6 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 06:04 AM

I'm likely a lot less busy now that I'm not full time caregiving anymore, so I have found time. I get easily distracted, which is weird, given that I used to be a receptionist, which required (at least the position I had) a LOT of multitasking. I can't really watch videos while I'm scrapbooking, but I did watch one last night while I was using my die cutting the same shape 31 times. I never thought of watching videos while folding laundry and doing dishes. Awesome ideas!

• MiaScraps and anandi like this

#7 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:36 AM

You're not alone! It's hard to fit them in. That's why I'm current on PRT podcasts but about 2 years behind on videos :) I use videos as my incentive to crank out 35min on the stationary bike, which is insanely boring, but one of my only workout options in the 110F summer heat! Makes it a bit more tolerable :)

#8 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 04:26 PM

You're not alone! It's hard to fit them in. That's why I'm current on PRT podcasts but about 2 years behind on videos :) I use videos as my incentive to crank out 35min on the stationary bike, which is insanely boring, but one of my only workout options in the 110F summer heat! Makes it a bit more tolerable :)

OMG, I had not thought about this. I could totally watch these while I'm on the treadmill.  Of course, that would require me to USE the treadmill.  Win-Win :)  (I usually walk outside.)

• janygb143, Melissa and MiaScraps like this

#9 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 08:12 PM

Although, if it's nice outside, enjoy the time out there! The videos will be there waiting for you in the winter!! ;)

OMG, I had not thought about this. I could totally watch these while I'm on the treadmill. Of course, that would require me to USE the treadmill. Win-Win :) (I usually walk outside.)

#10 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 23 July 2016 - 04:18 PM

I find folding laundry the BEST time to watch scrapbooking videos! It's such a mindless task... :D

Tee hee! That's my most mindless task too! I guess it depends on your personality!

I actually scrapped a page about how I watch video while folding the washing for LOAD!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • janygb143 and anandi like this

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#11 nicolemann9

nicolemann9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 09:02 PM

I find folding laundry the BEST time to watch scrapbooking videos! It's such a mindless task...  :D

I think it just more just the area where I usually fold clothes... I don't have a good place to put my iPad to watch things. I tried putting the videos up on our TV using our Apple TV, but my back is kind of to the TV, so it didn't work out the greatest. But I do agree, it is a mindless task!

• janygb143, Melissa and anandi like this

#12 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:31 AM

Oh, I did watch videos while I was straight-ironing my hair, but that was when we were on vacation and it probably doubled the amount of time it took to get ready lol

#13 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 28 July 2016 - 07:21 PM

Someone, and I won't mention who, suggested I watch them while on the stationary bike now that I'm not training for a long distance walk. I need to get that someone to adjust the seat for me as I'm not as tall as they are.

I use all the above methods for watching videos. And if I'm not too tired, I can watch a couple when I go to bed. But I do sympathize with you Anandi. It isn't also easy to find time with a young family.
  • janygb143, Melissa and anandi like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users