#1 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 16 July 2016 - 06:16 PM

I realize this topic has been discussed ad nauseam. There may likely be few memory keepers remaining who hold a large number of pp accumulated since the '90s. Anyone remember Paper Adventures, Design Originals, Hot off the Press, Mustard Moon?

I'm reorganizing the mass amount of pp and question my own categories.

Firstly, I am not purging papers due to their being outdated or if they no longer bring me joy. It's not time for me to do a deep purge. I put a few pages aside knowing I would not use them. I categorized this stack as "background papers", meaning papers that could be glued to the back of a layout needing additional structure. Very recently my sister decided to start scrapbooking. (I think a little two year old might have something to do with it!) She went into that stash of unwanted paper and chose a paper I had thought not loveable. She made a beautiful layout about her and our Dad. So to each their own.

Initially most of my pp was stored by colour. And had kept a number of kits intact. So with the new organization my categories are Flowers/Leaves, Geometrics, Love/Valentine, Halloween, Christmas, Words, Textures: brick/wood/stone etc., Travel, Baby/Child, Clouds, Water, Games, Animals/insects, Birthday, Snowflakes and Heidi Swapp. The rest of the papers remain organized by colour. I also took out all the Crate Paper, Sassafras, Basic Grey and Scenic Route papers. And there is a pile of papers that don't really fit any one group. You know the ones that have multiple colours and some obscure theme.

My dilemma? I'm now wondering if I should make sub-categories within the coloured pp stacks. LIke stripes and plaids, circles, dots. Because my stacks of paper are large it takes time to find something specific.

I realize we all have our ways. Some like to keep only a small stash. Some keep their papers by designer. Some by mood. When you are making a layout do you think to yourself "I need a piece of plaid paper? Or something with stars, or dots? ". If you had a large hoard like mine would you consider breaking the papers up into small categories for ease of finding a specific piece?

#2 Krystal K

Krystal K

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationAnchorage AK

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:41 AM

I had a larger stash at one point and put all multi color plaids together and multicolor stripes together, but kept the others by color.
  • MiaScraps likes this

#3 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:01 AM

I don't really have good advice for you. I need to reorg my paper, too. I have some of it separated by collection, but the rest is in a 12x12 plastic box that I sort through when I'm making layouts, and that is getting quite cumbersome.

#4 Maplestock

Maplestock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, CANADA

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:58 PM

I can totally relate to this paper organization dilemma. I have changed mine several times. I have one of those rolling carts that have 12x12 drawers that I keep some paper (mostly partly used sheets sorted by colour/theme). Then I keep paper pads in 12x12 plastic cases. I have a separate case for card stock that I try to keep in some sort of colour wheel order. Then I have two of the plastic carry cases that have hanging files in them and I sort by theme when possible (I.e. Camping/outdoors, Travel, Family, Spring/summer Fall/winter etc) and then glitter paper and colours or patterns.

I'm convinced there's no ideal method unless you have a large craft area and use the types of paper racks that you see in stores. I do not! And most of my scrapbooking is done away from home at weekend/day crops so I need my system to be portable.

So far my current system is working the best for me. I just need to use more before I buy more; a whole different issue!
  • Melissa and MiaScraps like this

#5 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:32 AM

I think the key is to organize it how YOU would be able to find a specific item you're looking for.  I took a class called 'Workspace' at Studio Calico, taught by Marcy Penner, and there were some great little gems in there about organization.  One of the exercises she had us do was to actually make a layout and keep notes on how we looked for things/what we reached for most often, to figure out how to organize and also what to keep close at hand vs. tucked away.  It was a SUPER useful exercise.

For example, I had made little embellishment "drawers" by color, based on something I heard from Stacy Julian, and while they were lovely and well-organized, I simply don't scrap that way! I don't think "I need a yellow thing" - I mostly think in terms of shape or texture.  So I took those all apart and reorganized.  Likewise, I don't necessarily think of paper by manufacturer unless it's a collection I want to keep together, so I organize my paper in loose categories like: Backgrounds, Christmas, Geeky motifs, Girly, etc.  But I am also a "flip through and pick something I like" scrapper rather than a "I'm searching for THIS SPECIFIC PAPER" scrapper.

I also keep new papers together because I like using them when they're "fresh". I keep die cuts and enamel dots/sequins/rhinestones out on my desk so I remember to use them.  Again, it's just a bunch of little bowls or packages to flip through because I'm never looking for a specific item.

Hope that helps? 

• Alice Boll, janygb143, Melissa and 3 others like this

#6 Teri H.

Teri H.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationLethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 21 July 2016 - 10:31 AM

I totally agree with Anandi. How do you look for things while you're scrapping? That should help you figure out how best to organize them. I'm all about colour - when I look at my photos (or use the Adobe Capture app) I always seek my papers out via colour. And then, for those multi-coloured patterned papers, I just have them all together. My stash isn't too big, so it only takes me a few minutes to find what I need.

However, for my "scraps", I separate my patterned paper into two separate boxes (plastic 12x12 containers) - geometrics and organics. If I need just a little somethin' somethin', then I know which bin to grab based on the style of the layout.

• Melissa, MiaScraps, anandi and 1 other like this

Loving the Literary Life

www.thestoryknows.com

#7 Crayolaswap

Crayolaswap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:55 AM

I have a huge stash. Stored vertically, it takes up two whole bookcase shelves and there is are still about 3 of those stacks you buy at Hobby Lobby that aren't even organized. Mine is organized almost exclusively by color, but with a few theme stacks. I have those plastic upright bins that look like magazine files but are for 12x12. Each bin holds a color, sorted into three categories, so starting from the left side it's cardstock, then patterned paper, then a 2 gallon Ziploc holding all my scraps of that color. I have one for multicolor that holds the ones that don't fit anywhere. I do have smaller categories for holidays, mainly.

For me, I scrap entirely by color. I look at the photo and choose a color scheme. Whatever my main color is I will look for either a solid cardstock or background paper in that color (unless I want white, kraft, etc. for the background). Then I usually either mat the pictures in another color if I'm matting or look for accent papers, etc. in the other colors I want for my color scheme. If the layout fits the theme of a paper I know I have, I can usually find it just by recalling the main color (like oh, baby's first trip to the zoo. I remember a kraft color paper with zebras that would make a great accent.... and then I go looking for that.)

Embellishments' are harder for me. I have them stored somewhat by type... like a couple of tackle boxes with brads and other little dimensional stuff, but right now my other stuff like stickers is in these flat 12x12 boxes from Costco, in no particular order. I've had that all much better organized before, but that was when I had a whole room. Then my son was born and my scraproom became his room, so now I have a tiny corner next to the kitchen for decades of stash!

• MiaScraps likes this

#8 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 28 July 2016 - 07:39 PM

Wow you guys are great! When I thumbed thru my albums I discovered that I do scrapbook mainly by colour. I just can not see myself saying "oh a nice piece of plaid would look good here". I'm mostly thinking colour, texture, mood. It's probably more applicable when I'm scrap lifting a card when I might need some polka dot paper. I'll probably organize the plaids and dots within the colours.

I always marvelled Stacy's colour organization. It looked great in her videos. I could see that I would need too many sub-categories under each colour. Too much work. My stickers are organized by theme. Of which I have way too many of and rarely use. Yet. I have my scraps organized by colour but I'm thinking I need to refine the scrap pp.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
  • janygb143 and Melissa like this

#9 Crayolaswap

Crayolaswap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 12:52 PM

I think it's OK not to go totally Stacy Julian, but just to do what works for you. If I were to have time to organize my embellishments better, I'm sure I'd do the stickers and things by theme, the other "stuff" by texture or type maybe (like I have a box right now that's all ribbon, and another that's all flowers and another that's all chipboard) I'd like to have a section for, say, cork textured things or maybe chalkboard things. I guess the point is, trends change, you'll have more of one thing than another, what you're scrapping a lot changes, so I like having the paper by color because that makes sense to me, but my brads are sorted by type, like star shapes, circles, etc. because I would easily think to put a star shape on a layout and be able to find a blue star in the little section of the tackle box, but I wouldn't think to look through the blue bin of stuff for a blue star. Go with what works for you and don't think it all has to be one way.

• janygb143, anandi and Maplestock like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users