24 replies to this topic

#21 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:11 AM

Sure, I believe myself to be a writer. In the context as a writer of my stories and the stories I collect from family. My teachers at university often commented that I wrote very well. That was after a lot of editing! I throw that all out the window with my memory journaling. It's very much freestyling. 

This reminds me of my mother. She used to say, "I'm not a writer." Yet, she wrote letters. Lots and lots of letters. I'm lucky that she wrote many to me during the periods of time when she and I lived far away from each other. Probably about 20 years ago, I recognized that, while she didn't think she was a writer, her letters were beautiful, and her personality came alive through her words. I'd call that a writer. Thank goodness I kept every letter she wrote me. It's a legacy I'm grateful to have.

• Teri H., Maplestock and nicolemann9 like this

#22 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:57 PM

Oh, that's awesome!! Sadly, my mom compares herself to me, and because her grammar isn't the best (English is her third language), she doesn't feel like she's good enough. I do my best to encourage her to write, despite that, but no luck. I've given her PL cards and several "story of my life" journals, but to no avail. I wonder what made your mom decide to write letters?

This reminds me of my mother. She used to say, "I'm not a writer." Yet, she wrote letters. Lots and lots of letters. I'm lucky that she wrote many to me during the periods of time when she and I lived far away from each other. Probably about 20 years ago, I recognized that, while she didn't think she was a writer, her letters were beautiful, and her personality came alive through her words. I'd call that a writer. Thank goodness I kept every letter she wrote me. It's a legacy I'm grateful to have.

• Melissa likes this

#23 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:59 AM

Oh, that's awesome!! Sadly, my mom compares herself to me, and because her grammar isn't the best (English is her third language), she doesn't feel like she's good enough. I do my best to encourage her to write, despite that, but no luck. I've given her PL cards and several "story of my life" journals, but to no avail. I wonder what made your mom decide to write letters?

It always floors me when people can speak more than two languages! Your Mom should be proud of that.

I'm not sure why Mom wrote so many letters, except that she enjoyed it. Back before there were cell phones, when long distance calling was a bit pricey for her and my Dad, she wrote to keep in touch in an inexpensive way. But I think she really loved to write, and letters gave her that opportunity without being "serious" writing she didn't think she was good at.

• janygb143 likes this

#24 Maplestock

Maplestock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, CANADA

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:25 AM

It always floors me when people can speak more than two languages! Your Mom should be proud of that.

I'm not sure why Mom wrote so many letters, except that she enjoyed it. Back before there were cell phones, when long distance calling was a bit pricey for her and my Dad, she wrote to keep in touch in an inexpensive way. But I think she really loved to write, and letters gave her that opportunity without being "serious" writing she didn't think she was good at.

Having those letters must be wonderful! Like keeping a diary when we were young (I remember mine had a tiny key to lock the clasp) or a journal these days, it is much more personal and insightful and what a wonderful keepsake.
I have a dear friend who moved to Canada from England when she got married and she and her mom and sister would write letters faithfully. Each week a letter would arrive and we would have tea and she would read it aloud. It was a highlight of the week. Though many miles apart, she kept up to date on everyone and everything. I'd be willing to bet she has kept every letter!
  • janygb143 and Melissa like this

#25 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:39 AM

Having those letters must be wonderful! Like keeping a diary when we were young (I remember mine had a tiny key to lock the clasp) or a journal these days, it is much more personal and insightful and what a wonderful keepsake.
I have a dear friend who moved to Canada from England when she got married and she and her mom and sister would write letters faithfully. Each week a letter would arrive and we would have tea and she would read it aloud. It was a highlight of the week. Though many miles apart, she kept up to date on everyone and everything. I'd be willing to bet she has kept every letter!

It is wonderful, having that treasure of my Mom's thoughts and feelings, the happenings of her life in her own words. She also kept many of my letters to her, so if I ever put them together by date--fortunately, we were both good about dating our letters--it will be like a written conversation.

I had one of those diaries, too! I loved that it was locked and secret.

That is so cool about your friend that moved from England. Letters are so much different from emails, and different also from journals. They're very special.

• janygb143 and Maplestock like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users