#1 Teri H.

Teri H.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationLethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:58 PM

I'm looking into starting an art journal, but it's hard to pick a journal when you've never done it before! I thought about Dyan Reaveley's Creative Journal, but I've read a lot of complaints about the paper being too thin for any wet mediums. Besides the "coat it with gesso" advice, what types of journals do you guys use and like?

Loving the Literary Life

www.thestoryknows.com

#2 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 01:40 PM

I think the one I'm using is by Strathmore, the Visual art journal series. It's spiral bound, about 8.5x11, and I think the paper is pretty good quality, as far as holding up to wet media. I actually bought two of those a few years ago, and I haven't filled one yet. My art journaling is sporadic, I suppose.

I do not like gesso prepared pages as certain mediums, at least in my experience, don't work well with it. Perhaps, I'm using the wrong kind or doing it wrong, but so far, I've not had good luck with gesso.

I thought the whole point of the Dyan Reavely journals was to be used with her liquid mediums, such as mist and paint. Disappointing to hear that there've been complaints about those. I have one, but I haven't used it yet.

#3 Teri H.

Teri H.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 05:26 PM

Right now I have a hand-me-down Canson "mix media" journal (spiral bound, 9X11, I think), but the paper weight is still only 90LB. Apparently, if I want to use a lot of watercolour, then I need a stronger paper. I think I maybe put too much gesso on...is that a thing?  ;)  It still buckles quite a bit. I know Wilna Furstenberg uses the Strathmore, so I'll look into those.

I'm really tempted to buy the Dylusions paints (they look so yummy!) but I know they're pricey. 

• Melissa likes this

Loving the Literary Life

www.thestoryknows.com

#4 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 05:50 PM

I do use a fair share of liquid mediums in the Strathmore, and it seems to hold up alright. You may not have the same experience, depending on how much liquid you use. I know what you mean about the Dylusions paint. I just bought two to try when the LSS was having a sale, but I haven't had time to sample them yet. I saw a YouTube video--Craft Test Dummies, I think?--demonstrating the paint, and it looked so awesome, especially blending them with a baby wipe. I want to give that a shot, and if I like it, I'm sure I'll buy more!  ;)

#5 Teri H.

Teri H.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 03:51 PM

At Michaels today, I bought a Strathmore journal with a 50% off coupon and I just ordered ten Dylusions paints from Scrapbook.com (on sale for $3.99 each). *Eep!*

• Melissa and MiaScraps like this

Loving the Literary Life

www.thestoryknows.com

#6 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 16 July 2016 - 05:19 PM

One of my journals is 10x7 Pantalic. I threw everything but the kitchen sink at it and it held up extremely well.

You can't wrong with the Strathmore 400 series. Enjoy the paints!
  • Melissa and Teri H. like this

#7 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:13 AM

At Michaels today, I bought a Strathmore journal with a 50% off coupon and I just ordered ten Dylusions paints from Scrapbook.com (on sale for $3.99 each). *Eep!*

Yay! Let me know what you think when you try them out! :D

#8 Tryin Digi

Tryin Digi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 04:02 PM

For Teri H. Michael's sells Dylusions paint, and with a 40% or 50% coupon you can stock up on them at a very reasonable price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users