6 replies to this topic

#1 Crayolaswap

Crayolaswap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:59 AM

I was just thinking about how much I miss having printed magazine subscriptions, especially Creating Keepsakes and Simple Scrapbooks, and how back in the day I used to watch scrapbooking shows on QVC when I went home from college (I started scrapping way back when it first became a trend and I was 19 or so at the time) because there wasn't much variety of product available locally and that was a good way for me to see what was new. The internet back then was pretty much just text. I also miss an online store and kit club I used to belong to, which closed years ago, because their forum, gallery and challenges were amazing and their kits were just the perfect style for me, so I used them up all the time. So it got me thinking, are there things other scrappers miss about the "old days", or are you all about moving forward with something new and different? Is there a trend or a product that is now considered outdated but you still love it or would love to see it come back?

• janygb143 and Melissa like this

#2 Sandi

Sandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 01:41 PM

• Talk about nostalgia wow! I lived for the days my mailman brought me my scrapbook magazines. I subscribed to five.Creating Keepsakes,Simple scrapbooks. Memory Makers,Ivy cottage and I cant remember the other one. I watched them go one by one but I think Creating and Simple were the hardest to lose.I had a LSS named PaperCapers about twenty minutes away from me , I loved going there but like most small stores she closed she closed also.I was a QVC junkie! lol I tried not to ever miss a scrapbook show.,I still has many items I purchased  during those fun days. Miss them too.
  • Way back then I belonged to an AOL message board that had so many scrappers on it that it was hard to keep track of names. if you had a question about scrapbooking you could get an answer in no time. A group of really nice girls. I often wonder where they all went.I guess you can see you pushed me down memory lane and yes I do miss it.

• Melissa likes this

#3 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:19 PM

Good topic Crayolaswap! I miss the monthly crops the most. A group of us drove 2hrs out of town to attend an all day crop. I participated in a number of swaps with the members. We shared techniques, product, stories, jokes and a potluck lunch. We were an awesome group. And little by little the group shrunk for a variety of reasons and the group was no more. I still mourn those days. I miss the collective bond with women. I have all the supplies I need and still subscribe to a quarterly paper magazine. And the Internet oozes access to everything to do with memory keeping. But I miss the personal interaction with people. I never consider any product or trends to be outdated. If I like it, that's all that matters. I do miss the journaling aspect of memory keeping as well. I'm thinking the lack of journaling is related to privacy concerns. It's rare to see names on layouts. I'm hoping the memory keeper is adding that information after the layout is upload to the net.

I'm on the lookout to join up with another group of women. Too bad we all live so far apart.

#4 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:12 AM

I miss the magazines, too. I'm lucky that I do have a LSS and a group of wonderful women to get together with. I miss a couple companies that have gone out of business, like Scenic Route and Basic Grey, too.

#5 nicolemann9

nicolemann9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:23 AM

I'm fairly new to the scrapbooking scene (within the last three years, but more indepth in the last year or so...), so, lucky for me, I haven't had much of a chance to miss anything yet. I too am lucky to have a great LSS nearby. I would sure miss it if it closed down. I still end up getting a fair amount of stuff online, but it's always nice to be able to see things in person. 

• Melissa likes this

#6 Crayolaswap

Crayolaswap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:39 PM

Yes, I miss Basic Grey and Scenic Route, too! Those were two of my favorites. There was also a company that did very vintage looking papers, a lot of them with kids' themes like cowboys, rockets, etc. I can't remember the name, but it all had a 50s childhood flair to it. I LOVED their stuff when my daughter was a baby and for old family photos. It reminded me so much of things in my grandma's house. That was the first of my favorites to close, several years ago now :(
  • Melissa likes this

#7 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:08 PM

I miss the magazines, too. I'm lucky that I do have a LSS and a group of wonderful women to get together with. I miss a couple companies that have gone out of business, like Scenic Route and Basic Grey, too.

I'm sorting through my patterned papers. Scenic Route and Basic Grey are separated out and are categories of their own. Also Sassafras...not an easy paper to use but one I love.
  • Melissa likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users