Photo
- - - - -

What is getting your scrappy attention these days?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:59 AM

I'm talking anything from a product, a style, a class, a teacher, a website, a community, a kit club, a technique, etc. What aspect of our hobby/community/industry is getting your attention?

• mshanhun likes this

#2 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:00 AM

I feel like for me it's a renewed focus on my photos -- story-telling through my own photos, story-telling through other people's photos as I shared in the recent member video, plus I'm trying Persnickety again -- I haven't sent out an order of photos to be printed for a long time.

That's not to say I haven't been enjoying products, too, but it's the photo thing that is exciting me right now.

• janygb143, mshanhun, MiaScraps and 1 other like this

#3 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 08 June 2016 - 04:30 PM

Right now I'm enjoying connecting with people, through Facebook groups and YouTube

I run a local project life group and enjoy connecting with our monthly crops.

I really enjoy people like Inkie Quill/Adele Toomey as she's got a lighthearted approach (plus she's an Aussie so I like that we share the same access to supplies etc). She's converted me into a Crate Paper lover (I've bought digi and paper products now)

I guess I am just enjoying finding more local people to connect with - at the Becky Higgins even at our local store, I found out one of my school friends is a scrapbooker too!

I feel that my scrapping is mostly in a holding pattern right now as I prefer to get through my LOAD challenges and finish projects. Lots of photos with white borders, lots of journalling and some embellishments.

Story telling is my focus :) and finishing that long list of unfinished projects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Noell, janygb143, MiaScraps and 1 other like this

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#4 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:28 PM

I spend a little bit of time (maybe an hour? only while waiting for kids to fall asleep) on Ali Edwards', Cathy Zielske's, and Jennifer Wilson's Photo Crush Facebook groups, and on Instagram (I "preserve" IG from suffering FB's annoyance factor by only following crafty people/celebrities). I'm also in an Ali-mode- I've taken OLW, Lens of Joy, and Storytelling with Project Life this year.

Lately, I've been trying to finish up digital albums and photo books that I've started years ago but never finished, just made it through 31/31 LOAD in May (challenged myself), and PL-style vacation albums from this year. Also focusing a lot on photo quality vs. quantity, and wrangle my 130K photo library.

Product-wise, still loving polka-dot patterned paper, travel-themed stuff, and enamel dots!
  • Noell, mshanhun, MiaScraps and 1 other like this

#5 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:20 AM

I'm talking anything from a product, a style, a class, a teacher, a website, a community, a kit club, a technique, etc. What aspect of our hobby/community/industry is getting your attention?

I've been working towards catching up on projects that were put on hold while my husband and I moved to Ann Arbor. Since the primary reason I started scrapbooking was to document my weddings, and both of those albums are barely started, I'm changing focus to scrapbooking the past, rather than the present. Shimelle's recent class, The Scrapbook Process, continued the theme of her Cover to Cover class, and I'm still working through that content. I'm also taking Wilna Furstenberg's latest class on art journaling, and it's really inspiring me to use those techniques not only in the art journal but on scrapbook pages.

I recently started another reorg of photos, putting them into photo boxes, rather than photo albums, which works better with my storage system and saves a LOT of space, which is really important now that I live in a 2-bedroom apartment, rather than a 3 bedroom+ house.

Product-wise, I'm loving my stash. I've been doing a lot less scrapbooking than usual in the last few months, but still buying bits and pieces of things that delight me, so I've got a lot of great stuff to put to use. I've been working on my album for a Disney trip in 2014, and I'm enjoying scrapbooking EPCOT pictures.

And last, I'm thinking about rebooting my blog again. It's been dead quite awhile, and I've been toying with ideas to breathe new life into it.

Great to catch up on what everybody else is up to! Thanks for the thread, Noell. Hope you all are on the verge of a wonderful season!

• Noell, MiaScraps and anandi like this

#6 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:53 AM

I am super excited about all things crafty right now! To the point where I'm really trying not to be distracted at work by what I want to do when I get home :)

I am in the midst of a 365 photo project through the This Week in Photo:Family podcast, which I love.  I have kept up with it since Jan 1, which is amazing.  So I am really into photography.  Part of that is because I got a new camera - the mirrorless, fixed-lens Fuji X100T, which I absolutely ADORE for its amazing photos and compact size.  It has the same sensor as my Canon DSLR and full manual control - the only thing I can't do is swap lenses, which is fine, because the focal length is one I almost identical to my favorite Canon lens :)

I am super inspired by Ali Edwards' Story Kit this month - the theme is READ and I made 5 layouts in 2 weekends, which never happens :)

I'm also still loving working on my 2 planners (work/personal) - I have a pretty consistent layout and a small amount of stamping for my work planner, so I can do that planning in about 45 min a week.  My personal planner is more for fun, and I haven't been keeping up with it every week but when I do it's been fun to play with my stamps. I have done a ton more stamping in general now that I have my planners.

I'm about to go on a 2.5 week trip to Scandinavia with my 6 year old and have also been working on prepping a travel journal for it in a simple softcover notebook.  I've done some stamping for the page headings and numbers, and am filling in our itinerary/info we need for our trip.  This is meant to help me get all the details down so I can build my 6x8 album for the project when I return.

Product wise I'm trying not to buy too much stuff as i have SO much stash that I still love and use.  but sometimes new paper is hard to resist :)

• Noell, janygb143 and Melissa like this

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:45 AM

I'm really loving my PL/Memory Planner that I do each month. So fun to work on and I'm loving the results.

I'm also focusing on travel photos right now, as I have hardly any of our family vacation photos scrapped. I've just ordered a bunch of our New Hampshire trip in 2010 to work on, so I'll probably tackle those as soon as they come in.

• Noell, janygb143, Melissa and 2 others like this

#8 The Other Caroline

The Other Caroline

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationMy Scrap Room

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:27 AM

I just finished Shimelle's latest class, which was extremely inspiring.

But I don't actually scrap anymore because I don't like printing my own photos. I loved taking my rolls of film to be developed, and they were ready to go. I don't like printing photos from my phone. It tedious and too labor intensive. I want film to come back! I miss the excellent quality of my SLR camera! 

• janygb143 and mshanhun like this

Caroline, Formerly "Purple Sparkles"

#9 nicolemann9

nicolemann9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:18 PM

I'm always inspired by Ali Edwards, and almost everything she does. I love her focus on storytelling, and how intentional her products are. I'm a Story Kit subscriber and just subbed to the stamp as well, and just find the classroom content she provides, and her kits always gives me so much inspiration. 

I've also been super inspired by the Paperclipping membership lately!! I signed up for the membership in January when it was on special... I've listened to the Roundtable for years, and have always been curious about the membership, but I originally was a digital scrapper, so didn't know if I would find the videos useful. I've moved to more hybrid/physical scrapping in the last year and considered it then, but still wasn't sure, as I'm not a huge fan of watching process videos. But when you guys had your crazy cheap deal I decided to try it out. I still didn't even get around to watching any videos until just a few weeks ago, but I've got to say, it is an awesome membership! I've been binge watching like crazy since then. The videos are done so well and the educational content they provide is top notch. And even though I consider my scrappy style to be different than Noell's, I find I still learn so much from watching her scrap. If you are on the fence about the membership, I definitely encourage you to try it, you won't be disappointed! Every time I watch a video I feel so inspired to go scrapbook!

So those have definitely been my 2 biggest sources of inspiration in the last little while :) 

• Izzy, Laura, janygb143 and 2 others like this

#10 jschow

jschow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:13 AM

I'm another one who has been absolutely inspired by Ali and her Story Kits. They have changed how I scrapbook in the most amazing way. Such thoughtful and important stories are getting told. 

I'm also absolutely loving switching up the size of my layouts and have done several horizontal 8.5 x 11 layouts lately!

• janygb143, Melissa and MiaScraps like this

#11 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:08 PM

In a state of disequilibrium, I've been spending a lot of time watching papercrafting YouTubes. Listening to podcasts has also been a saving grace when moving seemed impossible. Messing around with watercolours and pencil crayons helps to fill some of the time. And on good days I'm purging and cleaning up stuff.

Recently I started looking at Graphic 45 with a new vision. So I've been following their blog. And Blue Fern. Inside I'm curious about this style of memory keeping but my lifestyle doesn't seem to match all the fruefrue. And all those layers. Hmmm. I think it must be the backgrounds that draw my attention.

I'm still focussing on finishing projects when I'm ready. Recently the 14 yr old wanted to know if I was going to do WITL again. Maybe I'll get her to do it. Would be fun to view this project from her perspective.

Lastly, I discovered coloured palettes! I got the idea from a recent blog/video somewhere. So I did a Google search and pinned several of these to my Pinterest board.
  • Melissa likes this

#12 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:16 PM

Has anybody seen Shimelle's brand new collection yet? Oh, man. Delicious. I cannot wait to get my hands on it.

• The Other Caroline and MiaScraps like this

#13 nicolemann9

nicolemann9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 08:21 AM

Yes! I've really come to love Shimelle's lines! LOVE that colour block map paper, especially :) I also really love the wooden buttons she does with the epoxy designs on them... I was disappointed they weren't in the Starshine collection. Also, the luggage tags are super cute, and those scratch-off stickers are such a cool idea!! They would be great for cards! Her collection is probably my favourite out of all the new releases we've seen lately.

• janygb143 and Melissa like this

#14 Crayolaswap

Crayolaswap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:53 AM

Right now my toddler and 10 year old and my messy house are getting so MUCH of my attention (rightly so), that scrapping is getting hardly any, so when I do get a minute or two here or there I'm focusing on just getting things done before I forget why I took the photos or the details of the event in the first place. I'm also trying to use up what I have, for budget reasons.

One thing that struck me recently, because my 10 year old has been sitting there reading every one of my numerous albums and asking me if I remember things that honestly I wouldn't have if they weren't scrapped, is that I need to make sure the little details are getting in there. For example, my one year old is in a cute phase where he chooses a toy of the day (or hour, or whatever) and holds on to it everywhere we go. I don't even really have to worry about it getting lost in a store or something, because he literally holds whatever he's chosen the whole time. As a result, almost every photo I've taken of him this month he has a random toy in his hand. Since I'm sure this little quirk will be over and a new one will pop up soon, it occurred to be that I should document the toys in the hand rather than just "here we are at the Fourth of July parade we go to every year." I know that's not earth shattering, but I scrap chronologically, kind of, and yet I appreciate those kind of details in my old albums because they're the little things that I easily forget but that really show a moment in time.

• janygb143, Melissa, MiaScraps and 1 other like this

#15 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:26 PM

Right now my toddler and 10 year old and my messy house are getting so MUCH of my attention (rightly so), that scrapping is getting hardly any, so when I do get a minute or two here or there I'm focusing on just getting things done before I forget why I took the photos or the details of the event in the first place. I'm also trying to use up what I have, for budget reasons.
One thing that struck me recently, because my 10 year old has been sitting there reading every one of my numerous albums and asking me if I remember things that honestly I wouldn't have if they weren't scrapped, is that I need to make sure the little details are getting in there. For example, my one year old is in a cute phase where he chooses a toy of the day (or hour, or whatever) and holds on to it everywhere we go. I don't even really have to worry about it getting lost in a store or something, because he literally holds whatever he's chosen the whole time. As a result, almost every photo I've taken of him this month he has a random toy in his hand. Since I'm sure this little quirk will be over and a new one will pop up soon, it occurred to be that I should document the toys in the hand rather than just "here we are at the Fourth of July parade we go to every year." I know that's not earth shattering, but I scrap chronologically, kind of, and yet I appreciate those kind of details in my old albums because they're the little things that I easily forget but that really show a moment in time.

Good plan! That is so cute!

#16 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:36 AM

THIS!  This is why I scrapbook.  I'll remember the things we do every year, like going to the pumpkin patch, or the fact that my 3yo has been a ladybug for 3/4 Halloweens.  But the little random things she says and does, that disappear all too quickly, THOSE are the stories I'm scrambling to tell (or at least write down to tell later!)

• janygb143, Melissa and nicolemann9 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users