7 replies to this topic

#1 Crayolaswap

Crayolaswap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:01 PM

Has anyone tried Gimp? I homeschool and am preparing a technology course for my daughter who will be in 5th grade.She can do some basic things with the computer but has never been formally taught. I saw Gimp as a recommended alternative to Photoshop for lessons. If you have tried both, did you like Gimp as well as Photoshop? Could a child edit photos and do basic designing on it? What were the pros and cons?

• mshanhun likes this

#2 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:54 PM

I've not used Gimp in years, but it is the most like Photoshop you can get for free.

It uses a similar framework of concepts as PS.

Other lower cost options if recommend are Photshop Elements or Paint Shop Pro (although terminology differs for PSP)

She could do anything she's need to do in Gimp I'm sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#3 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:54 AM

I miss being able to add text to my photos when I had Photoshop. It's not worth it to me to get it for that one function -- and that literally is the only thing I am interested in doing that I can't already do in my current software. Can I do that on Gimp? Or is there some other free app that is simpler that would allow me to do that?

#4 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:54 PM

I miss being able to add text to my photos when I had Photoshop. It's not worth it to me to get it for that one function -- and that literally is the only thing I am interested in doing that I can't already do in my current software. Can I do that on Gimp? Or is there some other free app that is simpler that would allow me to do that?

Sure Noell - Gimp can add text, but I'm sure there's other apps in the Apple store that too :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Noell likes this

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#5 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 07:59 AM

I hadn't ever considered anything but Photoshop for that. I guess I should do some research!

#6 Crayolaswap

Crayolaswap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:35 AM

Noelle, Is there a reason you couldn't just import the picture into a word processing program and do it as a layer? I think I remember Izzy mentioning he's a Mac guy, and we have Microsoft word and publisher, but I can just import a picture into one of those and put a text box on it to type. Not sure if you can get the printed through an online service or anything after that, though, since I've done it that way more for things that aren't meant to be kept forever.

#7 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:54 PM

Noelle, Do you have Lightroom? You can add text in Lightroom. Not sure if you can do it in Apple Photos. Pixelmator is a great alternative for Macs too. But, there are actually lots of iOS apps that will do it, and may be easier even.

Crayolaswap... do you have a Mac or PC?

Wendyzine Scraps

Studio Wendy @ Scrapbookgraphics  •  Photoshop & Elements Instructor

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

#8 Crayolaswap

Crayolaswap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:40 PM

I have a PC.
  • mshanhun likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users