Photo

Fuji X100T small camera instead of DSLR?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:25 AM

Hi!  Just wondering if any of you fellow memory keepers use any of the Fuji X100 series of cameras?  I'm debating between getting a new Canon DSLR body OR selling off my DSLR gear and downsizing to this one.  As much as I love the photos from my DSLR, the gear is heavy and unwieldy and left to my own devices, I'd use the same 2-3 lenses all the time and even though they're small, the camera still feels big and bulky.  I'm just not convinced I *need* an interchangeable lens camera for the type of family photos I take.

Would love to know your thoughts if you've downsized to an "advanced" point and shoot or a much smaller mirrorless camera.  :)  I was intrigued by Karen Grunberg's mention of the Sony RX100 on PRT back in January - she seemed very happy with it.

#2 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:57 PM

I haven't tried them, but my brother-in-law (who had a photography business) sold his Canon 6D and got a Fuji X100 (he loves it, his wife doesn't). He also ordered a used Xt10, which allows for interchangeable lenses. That might be worth looking into before you sell all your dSLR stuff?

What about changing the camera strap, bag, and/or go-to lens to make it less bulky? I took an Ape Case on our last trip instead of our LowePro Slingshot, and it made a big difference for feeling so weighed down. I also learned how to get a better fit with our Joby camera strap so the camera doesn't swing so much. And lately I've been shooting with the 50mm lens (not sure if yours are that small) and that cuts down on a ton of bulk (if you can move your feet vs zooming :)). Just an idea :)

I do really like the idea of the advanced P&S!! but I've resigned myself to using what I have rather than accumulating more techie clutter... I'm not good about selling stuff, I'd rather just hoard it all even if it doesn't totally spark joy ;)
  • anandi likes this

#3 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 02:56 PM

My DSLR setup is pretty minimal - I have a great camera bag that's also my purse, a couple of good straps and my favorite few lenses are small primes.  I will definitely sell off some of my "extra" lenses that are too big/I don't love, regardless of what I decide.

I'm renting the X100T this weekend, so I'm pretty excited about that.  I guess I'll find out how well it works ;D

• janygb143 likes this

#4 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:21 PM

Ooh, let us know how it goes!

#5 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:47 PM

Well, I selected a place that would allow me to buy the rental if I wanted to keep it, and they let me specify the color I wanted (silver/black vs. just black).  So I had it for the weekend and it was AWESOME.  So I bought it yesterday :)  

• mshanhun likes this

#6 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:09 PM

Nice!!! Glad you like it! I got to play with my brother-in-law's Fuji this weekend too. I liked how light it was, but sticking with my Canon for now ;)
  • mshanhun and anandi like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users