5 replies to this topic

#1 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 09:41 PM

So, I have a system for organizing my in-progress and finished layouts, but I think it's too complex. It's how I started (10 years ago this year!) digital scrapbooking, so I'm kind of stuck in the hamster wheel and not sure how to adapt. 

I have a "Scrap Pages" main folder. If I make a new page, it gets a new folder (titled with the page title) and the PSD file goes in there (along with any screenshots or inspiration photos that I use). I keep them in the main folder until the end of the year. Sometime the next summer, I move them all to a "2015" folder, then change the file name of each PSD to "2015 0802 Page Title" (that date is usually either the date of the event, or the date I finally finished the page, depending on the page type), so they get organized chronologically in LR. I use an Automator Workflow to copy all the year's PSD files and convert them to JPEG. Then I import all the JPEGs to LR (which goes on a separate drive from my Scrap Pages main folder).

It works, it just seems pretty tedious and I feel like there has to be a better way! And Finder drives me crazy, rearranging files according to different criteria in every new window :/ Any tips would be great!! 

#2 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:27 AM

I have a folder called layouts. In there, I have one folder for each year. Those files stay on my hard drive until I make that year's photobook. Then they get moved to my EHD. When I create a layout, it gets saved by date_layouttitle.psd. I immediately save a JPG (sharpened and color-popped) and a 600px version. They float in that folder until I'm ready to make my photobook. At that point, I sort by type, move them into folders named PSD and JPG. I don't save ephemera or photos along with the layouts. Those live in my photos folder (also sorted by date) and in Lightroom. It may not be as organized, but I'm all about least amount of effort while still being able to locate stuff.

• janygb143 likes this

Wendyzine Scraps

Studio Wendy @ Scrapbookgraphics  •  Photoshop & Elements Instructor

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

#3 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:48 PM

Oh ok, so you have a few "finishing" steps, too! What date do you use for the filename? My yearly folder could contain layouts that I started in 2013, or events from two years ago, etc. or do you just do pages from that year?

#4 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 07:29 AM

I do them by date of most recent photo. But I know some people file by date scrapped.

• janygb143 likes this

Wendyzine Scraps

Studio Wendy @ Scrapbookgraphics  •  Photoshop & Elements Instructor

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

#5 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 22 April 2016 - 05:37 AM

I do a similar thing to Wendy.

I have a folder per album and "loose" pages that aren't for a specific album are filed by person or year.

I keep the 600px, jpg and psd all the in the folder

when I make a photobook I generally make a new folder and save the 8x8 psd and the jpegs in a sub folder

The downside is I don't have a record of what I've printed. I used to tag them I PSE but haven't kept up lately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • janygb143 likes this

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#6 TiffLB

TiffLB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationDover, NH

Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:41 AM

My method is also like Wendy and Melissa's. In each year folder, I also have a folder called "Printed" - when I print a layout, I move the layout files into that folder so I can keep track of what has already been printed.
  • janygb143 and mshanhun like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users