5 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 418 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:07 PM

Over the past couple weeks I've been having problems with Apple Photos not working correctly. The biggest issue was that every time I plugged my phone into my computer, Photos would tell me that there were more photos that needed to be imported, even though they were old photos that were already imported into my Photos Library.

Anyway, I tried to troubleshoot it for a while without success. Plus there were other little annoyances about Apple Photos that I never got used to.

I suppose I shouldn't expect much from a free app, but yesterday I started the transition back to Lightroom.

I forgot how much I like Lightroom. I love clicking on a photo and seeing all the metadata for the photo in the right column, including the filename. Apple Photos doesn't make getting to all that data super easy.

Also, renaming all the files and importing simultaneously -- I love it.

Also, I put my Lightroom catalog file in a Dropbox folder to keep it synced on different computers.

And I'm considering moving many of my photos to Dropbox too. I'm pretty sure I have less than 1 TB of photos.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my enthusiasm for Lightroom here. :)

• BethQuiroz, janygb143, Melissa and 1 other like this

Do you have a suggestion or feedback about the Paperclipping Forums? Please let me know!

Instagram | User Guidelines

#2 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:31 AM

That same thing happened to me with iPhoto, too, and it's just something I lived with. I've thought about switching to Lightroom, but it's one of those things that I have put off "until things settle down." Now, my husband and I are in the middle of moving, probably the direct opposite of settling! Once we are all tucked into our new place, I'm going to look into a different way of organizing digital photos, making sure everything's getting backed up, and I think I might just try Lightroom, see how it goes.

• janygb143 likes this

#3 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:43 PM

Yay LR! If you shoot in RAW, will you put those in Dropbox or convert to JPEG? And then will you keep them on a local HD too? Wait... Can you explain why you'd move them to Dropbox? I'm curious :)

#4 Izzy

Izzy

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 418 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 22 March 2016 - 06:37 AM

I decided not to put them in Dropbox. My photo library is too big for that. Because Dropbox takes up actual room on my computer as well as in the cloud, it's just too much.

Instead I'm keeping my photo library (for the time being) on an external drive which I back up to another external drive. Once I spend a little more time organizing the library, I'll probably keep part of it on my internal hard drive and the rest on an external.

I'm thinking I'll get started on that this weekend. :)

• janygb143 likes this

Do you have a suggestion or feedback about the Paperclipping Forums? Please let me know!

Instagram | User Guidelines

#5 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:00 AM

Ah, I see! I think it's really cool that you can keep the catalog file in Dropbox and sync to different computers! Have fun organizing :) excited to hear about your progress!
  • Izzy likes this

#6 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 11:46 AM

You can also opt to not download a specific folder to your computer. Open Dropbox settings on your mac, and look for SELECTIVE SYNC option. I do this with really large files I need to share because my poor laptop SSD is just not big enough for my scrapbooking and photography needs!

• Izzy likes this

Wendyzine Scraps

Studio Wendy @ Scrapbookgraphics  •  Photoshop & Elements Instructor

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users