6 replies to this topic

#1 indyscrapper

indyscrapper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:43 AM

Hello Friends,
I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I have always been a PC girl.  I bought my first Mac on Saturday.  On my PC, I would store all of my photos in folders by Year_Month_Activity.  If I wanted to edit a photo in photoshop elements, I would save the updates with a new name, usually just add an "a" to the end of the name (123 becomes 123a).  I would then save 123.jpeg, 123a jpeg, and 123a psd all in the same folder.  I started moving photos and psd files onto my new mac. It doesn't appear that I can save psd (or even word files with journaling) into the photos area of the new mac.  The photos area will only allow jpeg documents.  Is there another way to keep all this information together?  I find it silly and unorganized to have to keep a separate folder with psd files in it, separate from the rest of the photos. 

If anyone could help me with the transition, I would be very appreciative.   I use the computer 99% of the time for photo storage, editing, and digital scrapbooking.  So this might be a deal breaker for me. If I can't find a logical workaround, I will probably end up returning the Mac

Thank you!

Jan

#2 Izzy

Izzy

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 418 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:25 AM

Hey Jan,

In your user account folder, there's a folder called "Photos". You stick photos (or any file) in there, or you can create other folders inside that folder and save anything you want there. There isn't a limitation on the type of file (PSD or otherwise), so I'm not sure why you're seeing what you're seeing.

When you first get a Mac, I think it makes sense to get used to some of the basics. For example, you want to get really good with using the "Finder", which is the equivalent of the File Explorer on Windows.

Also, I'd highly recommend you take a look at ScreencastsOnline. It's a great resource for folks who want to get familiar with their Mac. The owner is a friend of mine. :)

Do you have a suggestion or feedback about the Paperclipping Forums? Please let me know!

Instagram | User Guidelines

#3 indyscrapper

indyscrapper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:53 AM

Izzy,

Thanks for the info and quick response!  I will look into it more.  The guy at the store told me that I could only store photos inside of "albums".  So I would have to create a folder for 2015, a folder under that for Dec, then an album under that to add the pictures.   That sounds different from what you are saying.  Perhaps there is an easier way to do it.  I would sure like to be able to just dump my external HD onto the new mac and keep all my folders/subfolders.  I had to manually create all these folders and albums and move small chunks at a time.  That was not fun!

I will check out your friend's website.

Thanks,

Jan

• Izzy likes this

#4 Izzy

Izzy

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 418 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 01 March 2016 - 01:32 PM

Yes, it can be a bit confusing because you have a "Pictures" folder inside your user account, and there's something totally separate called "Photos" which is an app that Apple makes for organizing photos/tagging/editing, etc. Because the guy at the store referred to "Albums", I'm guessing he was talking about the Photos app and not the Pictures folder.

Do you have a suggestion or feedback about the Paperclipping Forums? Please let me know!

Instagram | User Guidelines

#5 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 03:57 PM

Yeah, using Finder, you should just be able to drag and drop your main (top) folder from the external hard drive, to another folder on your Mac. Although, with my amount of photos and digital scrapbook pages, I have to store everything on a portable external HD anyway (it won't fit on the internal). Something to consider! Welcome to Mac :)

#6 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:27 PM

I also don't use the native Mac file structure. I create my own Wendy folder and make my own subfolders within. I also move photos off yearly to my EHD.

I agree with Izzy... the Mac guy had to be referring to the Photos App, not the Pictures folder. You don't have to use the Photos App to see your photos. Personally, I use Lightroom instead.

• Izzy and janygb143 like this

Wendyzine Scraps

Studio Wendy @ Scrapbookgraphics  •  Photoshop & Elements Instructor

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

#7 BethQuiroz

BethQuiroz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:23 PM

There is a good book I bought when I switched from PC to Mac 3 years ago. It's called "Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual." I highly recommend it!

http://www.amazon.co...hing to the mac

• wendyzine likes this

My blog: bethsblatherings.blogspot.com

Instagram:  http://instagram.com/divinemsq

Guest on PRT Episode #205: Cheesy At Heart

VENI VIDI VELCRO - I came, I saw, I stuck around

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PC, Mac, Photoshop Elements;

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users