• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Kari_M

Kari_M

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 03:40 PM

For those of you that print at home, what is your process specifically for printing 3x4 photos.   

I wasted so much time yesterday trying to print 3x4 photos on 8.5 x 11 paper.  I thought I had them sized correctly in Photoshop, but then I would print and they would be way off.  As I think about it this morning, I may have had my printing settings wrong as I had changed it for some odd-sized cards I printed (and now I am thinking I may not have changed it back.  However, I still feel like there is a lot of waste when printing on 8.5x11.  I did order some 4x6 photo paper today and plan to drop two 3x4 images onto a 4x6 template.  Hopefully, that will simplify things and save on photo paper.  

I would love to hear any other suggestions or advise as to how other print at home.  

#2 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 04:34 PM

I print on 4x6 paper, both on my letter size printer and my selphy.

Wendyzine Scraps

Studio Wendy @ Scrapbookgraphics  •  Photoshop & Elements Instructor

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

#3 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 04:35 PM

Oh, and I use lightroom print templates to easily and quickly get 2 3x4s set up on a 4x6. 

Wendyzine Scraps

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

#4 nicoleseitler

nicoleseitler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:33 PM

I have an Epson PictureMate that I use for my 3x4 photos. I open a document in Photoshop that is 4x6 and copy and paste my photos into it.

I usually create my PL pages in a digital format first (as a 12x12 spread, in whatever layout I'm using for that year... like Design A or Design F, etc.), but when it comes time to print, I will then copy and paste my cards either into this little 4x6 photo document or a 13x19 document that's for my large format printer.

#5 Scrapnsee

Scrapnsee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:23 PM

I use my selphy.  I select 2 pix in the Photos app and tell the printer that I'm printing custom size at 2.8X3.8 (or 3.8x2.8 - I can never remember which way I do it) and I tell it the paper is 4x6. It understands that it can fit two prints per page and it lays them out together on the page. I print it and then cut it on my trimmer. Hope this helps if you have a Selphy.

#6 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:13 PM

Scrappy Jedi has a tutorial on her blog from a couple of years ago about how to get this set up in Lightroom, so I just select all my 3x4s and LR prints them instead of me formatting two at a time.  (I print them 2 to a 4x6 page). I just select the photos, put a stack of 4x6 photo paper in my printer and let them all print.  It changed my life :)

• BethQuiroz, janygb143 and nicolemann9 like this

#7 Kari_M

Kari_M

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 01:58 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm off to see if I can find the tutorial from Scrappy Jedi...that sounds perfect!  

#8 Kari_M

Kari_M

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 03:47 PM

Oh my gosh!  I just read through the tutorial, downloaded LR and got everything set up and I am printing 2- 3x4's on a 4x6.  So easy....so efficient!  THANK YOU Anandi for sharing this tutorial.  

• BethQuiroz and anandi like this

#9 BethQuiroz

BethQuiroz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 24 January 2016 - 11:15 AM

Oh my gosh!  I just read through the tutorial, downloaded LR and got everything set up and I am printing 2- 3x4's on a 4x6.  So easy....so efficient!  THANK YOU Anandi for sharing this tutorial.  

That post was amazing! I used it to learn how to do other print templates as well. I've got templates set up for December Daily, 4x4 pics, 2.5 x 3.5, and other odd sizes. I HEART Lightroom!!!!

• anandi likes this

My blog: bethsblatherings.blogspot.com

Instagram:  http://instagram.com/divinemsq

Guest on PRT Episode #205: Cheesy At Heart

VENI VIDI VELCRO - I came, I saw, I stuck around

#10 beccaf1970

beccaf1970

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 24 January 2016 - 01:30 PM

Thanks for the tip. Here's the link for anyone who's interested: http://www.scrappyje...-multiple.html.

Becca
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • anandi likes this

#11 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:45 PM

I do all my photo collaging for scrapping in Lightroom. If anyone is interested on more information, you can see the article I wrote here:

https://thedailydigi...-with-lightroom

And see my templates and video available here:

http://shop.scrapboo...all&by_title=on

I also compared the PL App to Lightroom here:

https://thedailydigi...fe-app-showdown

Wendyzine Scraps

My Gallery

#12 Julie Paradise

Julie Paradise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:09 AM

For Windows (and Mac) users I recommend the free softwares PhotoScape (official site) and Gimp (official site) -- these will do most things you need, basic editing, album pages, Gimp does layers, and they are for free. 

• Krystal K likes this

#13 Maribethm

Maribethm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:56 PM

I use the Epson PictureMate for 4x6 photos 99% of the time now and I love it. If I want to print out several 4x6 on an 8.5x11. I use the photo templates from Paislee Press (I love her designs) http://the-lilypad.c...tes-Vol.-1.html. This set is my favorite and it's free! I use it all the time. I open it up in Photoshop (I did this in Elements too before I made the switch to photoshop, so if you have PSE, it's works perfect), clip in the photos I want to use, open up a new 8.5x11 page, and then move the 4x6 template with my photos clipped onto my 8.5x11 page. Then repeat the process until I've filled my 8.5x11 page, then print and I'm good to go. I hope all that makes sense. 

• janygb143 and MiaScraps like this

#14 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 09 February 2016 - 04:05 PM

I'm obviously a dinosaur. I use PSE. I tell the printer what size I need and I stick in a piece of photo paper and print. I purchased the big 14x11 sheets of photo paper as it was more cost effective than the 8.5 x 11 paper. I'm having serious trouble ordering photos in a timely manner from an outside source. :) Fortunately I have learned thru the intranet how to print two 3x4 photos in a 4x6 space. From that experience I am likely to be successful in learning how to print in other collage sizes :) I love my Epson R1400 and only use Epson paper and inks. So far so good!

PS I am able to "tell" the printer to print so many inches from the top, bottom and sides so that I don't waste good paper and ink.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users