8 replies to this topic

#1 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 11:24 PM

Almost the end of the year and possibly time to start a new album! What's your PL plan for 2016?

I've done PL in the same way since 2013 - a 12x12 monthly two-page spread of highlights, with baseball card inserts for in-the-moment journaling and little art/embellishments. I typically pick a single color for each spread. It's working for me, but it is a lot of stress at the beginning of each month to wrap up the previous month. Picking photos, planning journaling cards for the highlights, writing the cards while my memory is still fresh, and hoping all the stories wrap up in the same tidy month. I do like having a "finishable" spread, though. Kind of scared to change the system since it's functioning, but would love to hear from others!
  • Julie Paradise likes this

#2 Julie Paradise

Julie Paradise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 05 December 2015 - 02:14 PM

Sounds good! Why would you want to change?

My plan is to continue as I did before: Collect photos over the month, order my prints after the month (I live in Berlin, Germany, I order my photos via the company ROSSMANN online and collect them at the store nearby, so I do not have to pay shipping). I order "intuitively", some photos in black & white, others coloured, some in 4x4", some in 4x6", some 6x8" or 8x8", 1 or 2 per month in 8x12" or even 12x12" (it is just € 1,49 for this size!), quite randomly, though the bulk is in 4x4". I take most of my photos with my smartphone app (XN Retro for Android), brighten, contrast, big white border, often black & white, some shots I edit in both colour and b/w because my inlaws prefer coloured pictures to b/w, whereas my mother and I love b/w since it even makes those shots look great where the colours are off.

Very important (to me) pictures I order in various versions and sizes, not just for me but for my inlaws and my mother who also get A4 pages (about 2-5 per month) and 1 or 2 Memorydex cards (in 3 3/4x4") made with my photos regularly.

When I get the pictures I sort them chronologically and lay them out in a possible grid, according to the page protector designs I have on hand. There are designs that include 3x4", 4x4" or 4x6" pockets so I decide here which pics I absolutely want to include to tell the story of what happened this month. If there is an event that needs more pictures I might include 1 pic in my PL and make an additional 12x12" page right next to (or somewhere around) the PL page where it also appears. I admit: I scrap for the sake of documenting our family life, telling the stories _and_  just playing with pretty papers and beautiful photos of my loved ones, so I might enlarge a photo and have different sizes ot it included just because I find it beautiful. Who is there to judge?

So my PL is a mix of actual PL in 12x12" and "normal" 12x12" layouts, and every month and pocket spread looks different because I just seek to unify one spread within itself and maybe its surrounding. If two PL-spreads face each other I try to use coordinating colours or PL cards with the same theme or feel, but a PL spread next to a layout gives me a lot of freedom. Front and back I treat separately.

And I do not care how many pages or page protectors make a month, so it ranges from 3 page protectors to 15 (incl. layouts, my max. was 15 in May, because I just had so many pretty pictures and series shots of my children participatin in their first Judo-competition). 

This works for me for almost 2 years now and I will keep it like that. I cannot imagine to change the size or approach of my PL for a while, all in all I filled about 1 album per year which is totally fine.

• janygb143, MiaScraps and anandi like this

#3 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 07:48 PM

Thanks for the explanation, Julie! Your albums sound great! I itch for change because it takes so long to prepare, and that stresses me out. I think I need a better system for picking photos (and the LOM Deep Dive is helping with that, a work in progress). I like to wait until the end of the month to really see what 6-8 stories are the most important to fill 3x4 cards, but I also want to have it completed so I can move on and focus on the current month. It takes me a few days to have enough focus/free time to write the cards. I think what I really need is 4-5 "unlabeled" days between the end of one month and start of a new one... That's on my wish list for Christmas ;)
  • anandi likes this

#4 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 10 December 2015 - 03:55 PM

I'm way behind on 2015 (think I've done up through July) and the problem is my photo backlog.

I've been thinking/rethinking this for 2016. I have a lot of unfinished projects (or unstarted ones) and am getting a little tired of the usual PL (next year would be year 5!) so I'm thinking of doing something very scaled down like what Kelly Purkey does with her 6x12 version, or something super simplified, like one photo + story a week in a cute album I've had from Target that's just a regular 4x6 photo album. 

Or maybe I'd use the Collect app for this and just print out the little photos and pop them in the album as I go.  I am itching to grab some of my other projects, but I always feel like I "should" get caught up on PL instead, so now it's starting to seem a little like a chore.

• janygb143, MiaScraps and Julie Paradise like this

#5 ajohnson

ajohnson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 08:59 AM

I am not sure what my plan is going to be for 2016. I worked mostly in 2015 to create some new systems, organization and documenting ideas. Now that I have these in place I think I am ready to start again. I am not sure if I am going to do specific PL but create layouts on random everyday moments from the month using pocket pages. I don't want it to be too specific, weekly or monthly but maybe in terms of where we went, what we did, people we saw, etc. Jess Forester has a great page in the Scrapbook & Cards Today winter issue on this type of page. When I do it weekly, I get too overwhelmed with the number of albums, when I do it monthly, I get overwhelmed with capturing the roundup journaling all in one paragraph. If I break it up with topics it might make things flow better. I have subscribed to a kit club hoping this will motivate me to do this. My more specific pages will be using Ali's Story kits and the products I have. That is the plan so far.

• janygb143, mshanhun, MiaScraps and 2 others like this

#6 nicolemann9

nicolemann9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 08:08 PM

After successfully completing Project Life in 2013 (my first attempt!), I never got my albums completed in 2014 or 2015. I really want to make it a priority to do a full year again this year. Right now my plan is to do weekly spreads using the Design A page. I want to use up my stash of journal cards from my Ali Edwards Story Kit sub, as well as use up my Midnight PL edition, and a few other Becky Higgins core kits I have.

My goal is to keep my spreads pretty simple. I am a minimalist scrapper to begin with, so that shouldn't be too hard. In the past (years I didn't complete my albums), I think I tried too hard to include everything. I just want to put some of my favourite pictures, with some simple journaling. If it is more of a 'story' I will make it into it's own separate layout. I think that will be my key to actually keeping up to date with my album. 

I just wrote a blog post today about my past experiences with Project Life, and a bit more in depth about my game plan for this year. You can find it here if you are interested: http://www.nicoleman...2016-plans.html

• janygb143 and MiaScraps like this

#7 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:07 AM

I'm not doing PL this year, but I am looking forward to returning to it in a new way in a couple years, LOL. I'd love to have time to do this this year, but I just can't. But once I stop homeschooling my daughter, I'm going to do a smaller-sized PL album that just documents my own personal life (instead of trying to cover our family in PL).

That idea seems less daunting and super fun. Probably won't happen until 2018 or 2019, though.

• janygb143 and mshanhun like this

#8 Robin Sparkles

Robin Sparkles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationManito, IL

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:14 AM

I started in 2013 and didn't buy a kit and just used stuff from my stash. The same in 2014 but I switched to a core kit around April. I used the app in 2015 and it was a game changer. I plan on using the app again this year. I only have 4 weeks to finish which I plan on doing today. My 2014 book isn't finished. The photos and cards are all in but I have to go back from July-December and fill in all the cards. They're all blank right now.
  • janygb143 and mshanhun like this

#9 nicoleseitler

nicoleseitler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:12 PM

I've been doing PL since 2012 (and I am even going back to make a 2011 album as well!), and every year I've done something different...

- 2011 is in Design A with a focus on the photos, because I'm "backscrapping" it all and I don't have a lot details... but I do know the main stories! I am designing my pages in Photoshop on a 12x12 template. Then I print off my photos and cards at home once I have a few pages done (I use my Epson PictureMate for all the photos and my Epson large format printer for all the cards).

- 2012 was an over the top paper affair where I made all my own cards out of patterned papers with lots and lots of stitching. There's a page for each week with a detailed "This Week" card. Is it any surprise that it's still not finished?! But all the photos are in the book and all the stories are in a journal. I'm almost to November now and I hope to finally finish it this year! For this album, I used Design A and D.

- 2013 I went all digital! I had access to tons of beautiful kits as a designer at the shop I sold at, so I had lots to choose from. This is the only album that is 100% complete. LOL! I sent off all my prints to Persnickety as 12x12 sheets. Once they were home, I cut them all up and put them in pockets (Design A once again). This album also had "This Week" cards.

- 2014 was time to mix it up! I picked Design F for this year because I was tired of Design A. I dropped the "This Week" cards and added calendar cards instead. I didn't want to spend so much time recording details that didn't really matter, (like "Thursday - Went out to eat.") vs. capturing the stories that do matter! This album is also unfinished. I seem to have an issue once I hit October! I've pasted in all the photos into my template for each page and I work on it when I have the time, printing out the photos and cards at home.

- 2015 was a bit of a depressing year with lots of stress and few photos. I am working on this album while I catch up on 2011 and 2014. I'm just scrapping the photos in chronological order without any week or month cards. I also picked a new format: Design K. Since there are 4x4 pockets in this design, I'm going to send them all off to Persnickety again to save on paper (I don't want to waste 4x6 paper on a bunch of 4x4 photos! Meh.).

- 2016 has been a bright and shiny year so far! It's my goal to return to a few things that I now know that I love:

• Design A, with all of it's space for 4x6 photos. I want this year to be about the photos!
  • Taking pics with my DSLR--and not just my iPhone. Some of my albums are Instagram-heavy and looking back, the yellow tint to everything is too much. I've re-printed a few photos from 2012 to fix that (because I've saved all the photos!).
  • Using paper mixed with digital supplies... but printed out every week or so, so I'm always working on it, like I did in 2012! I've got a few core kits to mix in as well. I've been organizing them this week. :)

• janygb143, mshanhun, Maribethm and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users